Drinking Age Is 21

Discussion in 'Politics' started by bl00drainer420, Jun 26, 2009.

1. I think that is a flawed law.

here's why

In my experience by the time people turn 19 they're gonna be who they are already. So pretty much between 19 and 21 if they wanna drink then they will.Pretty much right out of high school is what is considered old enough to dirnk in my book. I don't see the difference between drinking at 19 and drinking at 21 because whats the point of waiting til your 21?

This is prett ybadly written i know, im drunk/stoned..anyways vote what you think and leave post too

and idk how to really post a poll but ima try :eek:

2. I'm not sure it's ever logical to buy alcohol. ;)

I don't see the need to prohibit alcohol at any age... but if so, I'd go with 18... if you can get drafted, you should be able to buy a beer.

3. If you can take a shot for your country, you can take a shot for your country.

4. I agree on the lack of age as well. Children in Europe are given wine at dinner and they don't seem to have issues with it. People should be exposed to it and informed about it. I'm so sick of hearing people about to turn twenty-one tell me how their gonna get really shit faced on their birthday. What's the point? It's just alcohol. If you like it, take a drink. But nowadays these kids are unexposed to it and when they can drink, suddenly start binge drinking and end up in the hospital or dead... /rant out of nowhere

5. Ha... Nicely done.

6. it should probably be 18, i see no reason why people at 21 are somehow more responsible than those of us at 18

then again i got my DUI a month before i turned 19 ;p

7. The most logical age to purchase Alcohal?.... Well i'm gonna have to go with 16.
    I mean, comon, the kids are gonna do it anyways, might as well not hold them back, other wise its gonna be a long 6 years of drunken madness on their part.
    Now the legal drinking age on the other hand, I'd say 18 is a nice round number. This works in Europe fine, so as long as we change the law of when kids can get their license, i do believe this would work out okay.

And while we're at it, we need to get rid of these ridiculous open-container laws :smoke:

8. I think the canadians got it right with 19, first year out of school. I don't think its right that kids should be allowed to drink then go to school around younger kids.

9. Sorry but although most of you "tweens" are mature enough to responsibly handle legalized drinking, there's a percentage that are just fucking stupid and do stupid immature acts while under the influence of alcohol. That's why there's not enough support to federally lower the drinking age. Examples: on this very sight I've seen post from idiots bragging about their mad drunk driving skill and how drunk drivings fun.

You see this is also imo one of the biggest obstacles hindering our efforts to legalize weed. There's also a small precentage of smokers who act like fuckin assholes. You know the mothers smoking weed with 3 year olds and such.

Ever hear the old saying? One bad apple spoils the whole barrel?

10. I go back and forth with this issue all the time because of the mindset of young people, but also the fairness in becoming 18 and an 'adult.' The problem is the minority of people who will purchase alchohol as a senior in high school and bring it to parties where it will be exposed to 13 and 14 year old freshman. It can be argued it already happens, but lets be real, there WILL be more drinking by young people if any senior at the party can run to the bar and buy another 30 pack. At 18, I thought I was mature for my age, but now on the verge of being 20 I already see how naive I was 2 years ago. A lot changes from 18-21 and maturity is a huge asset gained within those 3 years. My contradiction is that if I can be charged and put in 'real' prison, take a bullet for my country, vote, etc. then why the hell am I missing one of my adult rights to buy alcohol?

To be honest, I do not have an answer right now, but to me that is evidence people my age are not ready to make a decision like buying a potentially fatal substance. Sure, I'm not going to buy a 5th and chug it, but what happens when someone my age decides to buy a 30 pack and his 13 year old freshman sister gets her hands on it? It happens already, but I feel liek the new 18 will be 16, then 14 if you get what I mean.

11. well in the US 18 is considered an adult..
    you can be tried as an adult,drafted,leave your house,your not your parents responsibility anymore, you can pretty much choose what to do with your life..
    i don't see why you can't buy alcohol at 18 then...if you're officially and adult i believe you should be able to make your own decisions

12. #12 Indi420, Jun 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2009

QFT and I agree, I would never vote to pass drinking age of 18 if it was a vote to make it 19 like canada has I would though, I really just think most 18 year olds are not mature enough for that and being able to legally get drunk around younger kids at school would piss me right off if I was a parent.

Also a lot of 18 year olds hang out with younger 15-16-17 year old kids, so guess who will also be getting liquor?

13. HAHA so true, I still did this though

I drank a lot from 17-21, but as soon as I turned 21 I pretty much stopped drinking. Its very strange but drinking is just not the same anymore, And I haven't drank to "get fucked up" since my 21st birthday (a year ago).

It really makes we wonder if I would have drank a lot less If it wasn't the "forbidden fruit"......I also wonder about this with the herb, but I'll never know now.

14. I'd raise it to 25

15. ????
    I'm absolutely sure schools would keep the same alcohol restrictions.

And I really hate this Disney mentality of life where children are supposed to be "innocent." I'm all for discouraging young people from chemically altering themselves and/or fornicating, but to do it by force of law is just bullshit. Society has made it through 5,000 recorded intoxicated years. To think that these things are somehow going to destroy our society now is bullshit. And the obsession with "health" in the US is quite frankly a bunch of corporate crap too. It's up to the person and only the person to take care of their body. These Sheriff of Nottingham ideas that a good citizen is "moral" and productive is an unfortunate throwback to Feudalism and Slavery. "Work dutifully every day and never question your Lord."

16. I'd vote for 18, but really I don't see how much of a difference it would make. We're on a marijuana forum, and the majority of the users get their weed illegally. The same is done with alcohol for those underage. I'm not 21 yet and I can drink pretty much whenever I want to.

17. Same here. In fact, I can walk right into the liquor store here and buy it. Once you're introduced to someone that works at the store, you can buy whatever whenever.

18. I don't really give a shit if 18 year olds drink. I just don't want to hang out with them at bars.

19. QFT. I know when I turn 21 I will feel the same way :p

20. The most logical age is 19. If its 18, then it becomes really easy to get in highschool, where as if its 19 it makes it slightly harder. College kids are drinking anyways, and they usually are 18-23 - so it'd keep college drinking the same and barely effect high school kids