Driftwood pipe

Discussion in 'Smoking Pipes, Glass Spoon Pipes' started by Jjblackhawk9, May 14, 2012.

1. Hey gc, found this cool looking piece of driftwood down at the river, now begins the process of carving it into a pipe. I'll keep you guys posted

Attached Files:

2. Subbed for impending gandalf stick

3. So i've trimmed it down some, and drilled the hole for the carb, and started on the bowl. Looking pretty good so far

Attached Files:

4. All done by hand btw, no power tools

5. Really cool idea man! Props :smoke:

But, make sure that bitch is clean. Boil it in water, dunk it in peroxide, whatever. Driftwood contains chemicals that can make you sick unless killed.

6. [quote name='"Nutbust"']Really cool idea man! Props :smoke:

But, make sure that bitch is clean. Boil it in water, dunk it in peroxide, whatever. Driftwood contains chemicals that can make you sick unless killed.[/quote]

I'm going to once i get it done. I figured it'd be better to wait so that way it can get inside of it better

7. second the gandalf stick, im going to be watching this carefully and hope it turns out real nice:)

im gonna see if i can find anything out about stains or weather-coats that old-timers may have used on smoking pipes and see if i find anything...

8. I can help you there. Take 1/4 of a cup balsamic vinegar, 1/4 cup white vinegar, and 1/2 cup of water. Mix well and put in a tupperware. Now take some steel wool (or a handful of pennies. Pennies will give the wood a nice blue color) and place it with the vinegar solution. Store overnight. The vinegar should have darkened significantly, now take out the metal, and using a paintbrush, apply the stain all over the stick. Let rest for 15 minutes, for a deeper color apply another coat. After 15 minutes, dampen a paper towel with olive oil, and rub ALL over the stick, until it's shiny and oily. Then rub it with a dry towel. Alternate between the two until the shininess is at a good point, then rub once more with a dry towel until no longer oily. Your pipe is now weather proof and varnished! :smoke:

9. ^ like a boss man, +rep thx!!

10. This is really interesting, I'm going to follow.

11. Just a little tip; To intensify the color (recommended) use both steel wool and pennies, preferably old blue rusty ones. Microwave with the vinegar for 2 minutes, THEN let rest overnight. It will give it a green hue, and antique the wood. I would post pictures but my camera was stolen :(

12. ^yes im also wondering how the progress is coming along...

13. the guy prob smoked too much and thought of the idea, started on it, smoked more weed, got too lazy, and said fuck it why would i want to smoke out of a ppiece of drift wood.

14. i imagine that driftwood might taste pretty good... who knows lol

15. Sick idea dude! Hope it comes along nice!!!!

16. im curious to see how this turns out..

17. Ew what if it makes the weed fishy