Dreadlocks!

Discussion in 'General' started by seabasschili, Aug 8, 2012.

1. I have 6 month old dreads. But I'm not a hippy. I'm not sure if I could give any advice seeing as I'm black, started with just twist, and go to the salon when they piss me off.:p

2. how was i being a dick i simply asked a question. Think what you think but i know my hair is healthier than yours and depending on what scents you like, it probably smells better too.

just curious but did you have stick up your ass when you wrote this?

3. Dreads are nasty

4. #24 mr man fan, Aug 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2012
    My Dad has dreads, they are older than me (I am 20). I'm pretty sure he used the neglect method...haha.

To all those saying they're unhygienic and shit though...not really...he still washes his hair/i'm never offended by them smelling or anything (lol...). Saying that I don't really sniff my Dad's head so...shnerf.

Also don't go to a salon...fuch that....the fact that they are natural is half the point, otherwise they're just some lame fashion thing (imo).

5. dreadlocks are going to require patience no matter what method you use...it can take anywhere from 6 months to a year+ for your hair to lock up.

as everyone stated avoid wax. find a non-residue shampoo...or even better start using the good ol' baking soda / apple cider vinegar [acv] rinse. my hair / scalp has never been as healthy as it has been since I began doing the baking soda /acv rinse and letting my hair lock up. you can add essential oils to the soak or rinse; tea tree, lavender, etc.

start washing your hair probably once a week or so in the beginning. clean hair locks up quicker than oily, dirty hair, but you don't want to wash too much in the beginning so you don't disturb your baby locks. when you wash them just squeeze them like a sponge, it is easier on the newly forming knots.

backcombing and twist & rip are the safest methods next to doing nothing. look them up on youtube or something to learn how to go about it....
    avoid crochet hooks, especially in the beginning...it is far too easy to get carried away and start doing some real damage to your hair. in the beginning your knots may fall out, but this is part of the process of your hair settling into locks. perhaps stock up on beanies, tams, headwraps or bandanas to keep your hair back and tidy when the mess becomes bothersome.

dreadlocks are awesome and a ton of fun. stick it out and it is a rewarding thing to completely embrace messy, knotty hair ahaha.

6. nope you can't thoroughly clean them, dreads turn your hair into something magical and when water hits it it just shoots off of you in all directions, same goes for shampoo, you try to put shampoo on dreads and next thing you know the walls, shower curtain and ceiling are all covered with shampoo.. itz crazy mang, crazzzzzy!

7. no i know u can wash them... just not use conditioner... i have dr. bronners.... that should do right?

8. sorry i didnt know how to reply with quote.. anyways... i know u can wash them.. i have dr. bronners... just a dry multi soap.... i know not to condition tho..... thanks for all the advise too...

9. I wish I could grow dreads, but I'm asian:(

10. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There are plenty of asians with dreadlocks. You just need to find the method that works with your hair texture. Backcombing or twist / rip would work fine I am sure...trial and error will probably be the best way to go about it though. Patience is the most important thing no matter what kind of hair you have though...

11. I have a few dreads in ,y hair, I put beads on it as well. It's really easy to dread it that way, if that helps..

12. #32 DDV, Aug 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2012
    [quote name='"seabasschili"']no i know u can wash them... just not use conditioner... i have dr. bronners.... that should do right?[/quote]

Sure, just be sure to dilute it. Me, personally I use baking soda. But its different for everyone.. you can use Bronners or baking soda or Neutrogena T-gel or bar soap (that doesn't leave residue) or even dish washing soap.

For deep cleaning - every few months- do this:

Take a large bowl, or sink, or even bathtub, and fill it with the hottest water you can stand. 2-3 gallons of water should do the trick. Then add in 2 cups baking soda, stir until all gone and the water is clear. Add a splash of lemon juice and a couple teaspoons of sea salt. You can add any essential oils you like too (I use tea tree oil, its great for your scalp).

*keep in mind the measurements don't have to bar exact, you can experiment and see what you like best.*

Once its all mixed and stirred, dunk your dreads in it. Keep it in for as long as you can.. squish them, dunk them in and out; I usually do this for about 15 minutes but the longer the better. After a while you'll notice the water starting to turn a cloudy white color - that's the deep cleaning doing its job! When you're done, wrap up your dreadies in a towel and wait ~15 more minutes, then shower and rinse it all out good. You can wash them with whatever you usually do.

And when you're done and your dreads are dry, they should be soft, probably fuzzy-looking, and smell.. like nothing. Just good, clean hair. :)

13. i have a couple in the back of my hair, in my town a full head of dreads = more attention from authority figures though and that's something i don't need heh

i don't ever comb it or anything though, been about 2 year? it's just past my shoulders at this point and more are starting to show up whether i want em to or not, heh

14. [quote name='"CaressaRosee"']I have a few dreads in ,y hair, I put beads on it as well. It's really easy to dread it that way, if that helps..[/quote]

Where do you buy your beads?

15. ^
    They're called pony beads, you can get them at dollar stores, walmart, craft stores etc.

16. Ohhh I remember those. I was looking for wood beads. I think I'll go hunting for some soon.

17. [quote name='"LilMissPuffIt"']Ohhh I remember those. I was looking for wood beads. I think I'll go hunting for some soon.[/quote]

Go to a craft store, they usually have wood beads. Just make sure the hole is big enough for your dreads because most of them are tiny.

18. It helps if your hair is wet to put the beads in, I usually braid them.

19. Nevermind haha