Dreadlocks!

Discussion in 'General' started by seabasschili, Aug 8, 2012.

1. any hippies out there with advice on how to get your dreads? i know there's the traditional method of neglectfulness and back combing, but what about getting them done? would that be the way to do it? if so what are some good places to look into that do them.

2. Go to a hair salon, chances are they could do the initial weaves for you.

3. yea i had dreads for about 5 years neglect method, worked out well, i had the right hair to not have to do anything but let it happen.

4. [quote name='"seabasschili"']any hippies out there with advice on how to get your dreads? i know there's the traditional method of neglectfulness and back combing, but what about getting them done? would that be the way to do it? if so what are some good places to look into that do them.[/quote]

I would recommend going naturally and start them with twist and rip. if you do this way your hairs gonna look like a rats nests for about 6 months-2 years depending how you hair type is but it's the best and most healthy way.

Never use any type of wax unless you wanna be a candle head.

5. ive had my dreads going on 15 yrs....neglect...neglect :D

6. never use wax

7. I had mine professionally done. I would do this to get them started and shaped. And I do agree with the no wax part, but there is something you can used to help lock up strays.

http://www.knottyboy.com/shop/product/locksteady_tropical_tightening_gel/

It's basically aloe gel, but it's smells yummy.

What you need to realize is that it take a lot of maintenance the first 6 months. And it's does take a good bit of maintenance about once a month to keep them separate.

Good luck!

8. [quote name='"Stoniecat"']I had mine professionally done. I would do this to get them started and shaped. And I do agree with the no wax part, but there is something you can used to help lock up strays.

http://www.knottyboy.com/shop/product/locksteady_tropical_tightening_gel/

It's basically aloe gel, but it's smells yummy.

What you need to realize is that it take a lot of maintenance the first 6 months. And it's does take a good bit of maintenance about once a month to keep them separate.

Good luck![/quote]

I wouldn't trust knotty boy there the main people selling the wax... And if you go natural there's almost no maintenance besides separating them which at most takes 5 mins.

9. [quote name='"Bubbles42O"']

I wouldn't trust knotty boy there the main people selling the wax... And if you go natural there's almost no maintenance besides separating them which at most takes 5 mins.[/quote]

I never got their wax. Cause it was a personal choice not too. I did a lot of research and there are pros and cons for both ways. And any one who says there is no maintenance is fooling them selfs. If you want nice round ones and you don't have extremely kinky hair there is a lot.

Every time you wash them you have to roll them to reshape them. Then if you don't want them fuzzy while your waiting for the to tighten and suck in the loose hair you have to do something like that gel. Also that gel rinses completely out. And it helps them look neater. Not to mention when your lock start growing together next to your scalp and you have to separate them.

They are a lot of work. But I loved mine. And I miss them. :(

10. I cant imagine dreads smelling anywhere close to OK.

11. That's if you want perfect dreads. Natural ones will round out eventually too. Like I said if you wait long enough you will have dreads no matter what. Mine are starting to look like dreads finally at about a year and I have done nothing.

12. [quote name='"4ganja2green0"']I cant imagine dreads smelling anywhere close to OK.[/quote]

Are you one of the people that think people with dreads dont wash them?

Sorry for the double post I'm on my phone

13. Sexy! :smoke:
    My only imput, hehe.

14. I'm almost a year and a half neglect :smoke:

If you need to get them done.. then do 'em. The only method I would recommend is neglect, do nothing but wash them and after a couple months of them looking terrible they will eventually turn into a badass set of dreads! Patience is key!

If you "get them done" though... please don't use wax or a crochet hook. That will damage your hair like you won't believe. Instead, use twist & rip or backcombing. You won't necessarily have dreads as soon as you walk out of the salon because most will fall out/loosen but at least you'll have established a blueprint for your dreads.

Natural is the best method handsdown.. there will always be hate on this topic, but it's by far the safest and healthiest way of growing out dreads. Either way.. good luck! :wave:

15. Don't be a dirty hippie and not wash your hair if you get them.

16. Don't go to a hair salon. Your dreads will earn no respect when they're made in a salon. They're kinda fake that way. Good dreads take time and lots of effort. My mother has them. Start by not brushing your hair (; then as your hair starts to knot up roll individual chunks of hair in between your hands to make them kinda clump together. It takes a while. My mother's took like 2 1/2 years before they started looking good. Like ddoublevision said, patience is key!

17. I want dreads so badly...

18. I want my hair to get long enough first.. its only shoulder length, I want it mid back before I dread them.. as to skip the "awkward" looking stage

19. [quote name='"Spaced"']I want my hair to get long enough first.. its only shoulder length, I want it mid back before I dread them.. as to skip the "awkward" looking stage[/quote]

If you're going neglect, there will always be an "awkward" stage no matter how long your hair is

20. no im one of the people that think no matter if you wash your shit or not its not gonna thoroughly clean them. so instead of being a dick why dont you tell me you can thoroughly clean them and maybe ill be convinced to give em a shot. that was always a reason i never went about getting them. i didnt want to smell like a dirty hippy!