Drainage Problems, Soil is too compact?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by zq8s10, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Okay, well I have three plants growing right now under (6) 48" 40 watt 6500k floros. The soil is just regular organic potting soil, I also have them in 3 gallon containers. My problem is when I water the plants the water doesnt seem to be making it to the bottom. Looking in the side at the drain holes on the bottom of the pots the dirt seems to be very dry, I stuck the moisture meter in there and it was 2 out of 10 on the wetness scale. So very dry. What can I do to fix this problem? .. Its like the soil has just gotten to compact. I'm scared of over watering because I know the damage it causes. I just read that I should let the soil dry out between waterings to encourage stronger root development, but I'm having to water them every day. It does seem like I'm not watering enough, but I give them probably around 4-5 OUNCES of water every day. the plants are around 8-9 inches tall and just started growing the 7 finger leafs. they are on a 18/6 schedule still at around 40 days old. The plants should probably be bigger than they are but they were kept in small pots too long before they got transplanted, or is it because I'm underwatering? They seem really really healthy, but I just want to fix this before it does cause a problem. Thanks.

2. If I were you, I would water them unto I get run off water (water comming from the bottom of the pot), let this water drain out for 5 mins and then dont water again until you stick your little finger in and the soil is starting to get dry.

Dont be to scared of overwatering, as long as you have dranage holes it should be ok. Its watering to frequently that can be a problem, not so much over watering in the one hit.

Hope this helps!

3. Okay, I will try that when the soil is a little more dry on the top, only one of the plants is doing this and its one that normally gets more water, its the healthiest one really, it usually drinks more water and is a little bigger than the rest.I fertilized using the little pebble looking fertilizer, is this going to flush all of that out?thanks.

4. put some perlite in the soil next time u re pot as well