Dr. Mengle's JJ Style Grow with Southern Star Seeds

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Dr M, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Niga, you aint got to explain shit.

I been robbin mutha fuckas since the slave shit.

With the same clip, And the same 4-5.

Two point blank a mutha fucka sure to die.

:metal:

2. JJ this is what i'm pondering today..co2 use..i'm basically aping your systm but on mini scale using same principles but i need to understand it better to apply it..i've always read the co2 level has to be uniform thru out cab...why?seems wasteful when you're only using the bottom 2/3 actually..

in the pics i'm using a 2.5 gal buket for spatial reference for the measurements ..20''-floor to screen
    10''-deck to screen
    36''-deck to lite

actual space used: 47'' height
    19'' deep

space above lite: 24'' ht
    19'' deep

So those are the numbers i'm trying to make sense of to figure how many lpm's of co2 to use? drop it or blow it in with fan? what to set temps at? how low to drop the lite down ? it's at probally max ht above screen for 250w penetration during flowering if we get jj size colas..hey champange dreams and caviar wishes!! lol!...i'll be using 7lb content tank at i was thinking 1.5 lpm @ 5min every 45 min same as irrigation cycle..what would you reccomend for the size i'm working with to start with..eventually i'll get a co2 monitor..$150-$180 but for now a digital recycling timer (Sentinel Drt-1 $108) slaved to my evc-1 and my digital pwr strip will do what your big ass controller does..i think..can you do the math using these numbers to figure the rate and talk about the properties of co2?

Attached Files:

3. Dr. #5 GGA has popped. That's 5 for 5 with 2 clearing the soil in a week.

4. excellent fickysis what kind of vigor they showing at this point..?

5. Right now they are just getting started, but clearing the soil within a few days is always a good sign to me. I'll keep you posted. Now I'll wait for the other 3 to poke their heads out.

6. Ya, I'm sorry again man... :eek:
    I feel bad I came off that way to you, and again it was more of a vent from my shitty morning...
    So I just wanted you to know that I really am sorry, and that's usually not me at all...

:wave:

Well let me say that if I did not have to heat my nutrient, I would not be using Co2 right now with the OG Kush SCRoG...
    You see, I use a water cooled Co2 generator, so the water it's heating I use to keep my nutrient warm...
    So if I did not have to warm my nutrient, I would not be using the Co2 right now...

But with that being said....
    Here is what I use when calculating my bottled Co2 flow rates....
    CO2 Calculator - Greentrees Hydroponics

When I do run Co2, I maintain between 1500-1800ppm...

7. JJ thanx for the link for co2..my reasoning for using it is i have the gear in spares just sittin and running at 80's for the co2 would be advantageous in terms of cooling...long ago that's why i would use it.. i couldn't get my temps dwn so i got the co2 systm and it negated that problem..i quit using co2 when i couldn't carry the 20lb tank anymore up stairs..i got 7lb content tank but it got a little pricy paying same as 20lb tank to fill it..now i can get an account to bring price of refills down so i'm revisiting using it again as it's practical again..
    JJ no sweat about your remarks you gotta lotta stuff going on to affect your mood..fergit about it..it's all good here

8. #108 jakesterjammin, Feb 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2013
    Well IMPO Doc, you do NOT add Co2 to a chamber with an unstable temp...
    Yes, it's best to try and turn up the heat and light so the plants utilize the Co2 better, but some strains just cannot handle the higher temps or the more intense light on them, so there are times where you have to run Co2 but maintain 78....

Then there are times when we discontinue Co2 use...
    Such as during stretching and late flowering when they are simply maturing..
    So of course if you're chamber is not stable, then when you do discontinue Co2, you're going to have heat issues...
    Then on top of that, when you are using Co2, the chamber is venting more (because of higher RH), thus you're dumping money out the ducts...

I've always tried to not suggest Co2 use if the gardener's chamber cannot maintain 75-78 with a 50% RH...
    If they can do that without venting the chamber, then yes, Co2 is going to be a great addition to the grow...

Like when I had my hoods open (no glass), I was not running Co2 because the chamber could not maintain 75-78 without dumping off heat every 15 minutes, so Co2 would have been simply a waste of money... But because it's cold as shit here, I need that Co2 generator's heat to warm my nutrient, so I put the glass back on my hoods, which now my chamber can run at 72 if I wanted WITHOUT venting the chamber....

With that being said, I'm concerned that small chamber is not going to be able to maintain temp/RH without venting...
    If the chamber has to vent every 30 minutes to an hour, you're going to go through a shit load of Co2...
    I'd suggest putting the Co2 money into stabilizing the chamber's temp/RH and sometimes it's cheaper then adding Co2....

Also bro, when adding Co2 it's not like you're going to see a night and day difference...
    Yes you do get faster growth rates, but we're talking about maybe chopping a week's time off the whole grow...
    Then really only when you're running clones, because from seed IMPO you still have to wait the 30 days for the plant to mature enough to flower, and then that depends on strain... So again, it's not going to be OMG look at the growth... lol

Just things to consider....
    Cause I would love nothing more then to see you have the largest yield, of all time.... ;)

9. JJ great info..this is my first experience with cool tube in this cab and the venting i'm using for it is working unexpectedly well..my early temp checks so far are in the 77-80 range without venting cab after an hr with door closed..that's what made me think about it..i have both a mini humidifier and a dehumidifier to do the 50% humidity and the evc-1 for them to slave to..if i can get the bitch to work..
    Now that i know the parameters i have to work with it's looking doable..i used the co2 site and my measurements work out to .0657 lpm an hr to maintain around 1500..i gotta play with it more but a 20lb tank at that rate would last 1,700 hrs..my tank is 7lbs but really 5lbs content..so 1/4 would work out to maybe 400hrs and that's not bad..

I'm trying to get that balance in all the elements starting with this temp control/enviroment thing as you suggested long ago..i may not use it but i definitely will install it and have it available at the flip of a switch

10. Dr. #3 GGA broke soil today. Looks like 1 and 2 are putting down roots. Nice deep dark green color to the first leaves. 4 and 5 haven't broken the soil yet.

11. Congrats Sticky!

Mengle, what's up with your GGA? Did they all pop?

12. G'day to all..DN only these two made it but what a pair..exactly what i was looking for.They both have pretty much shed their seed caps and have a root coming out the side or bottom so it's time for their first pair of shoes..3'' net pot with the tiniest geo rk i can sort out so there's plenty of support..

I think next week they go into the dwc under 120w led to stimulate some root growth while waiting for adjoining chmbr to be free after harvest /clean up..

I've been trying to figure out my poorman's controller for the cab using the components in the pic ..13 items to plug in 20plug ins..3nite plugs only..3 day plugs only..2 timers..1 cyclestat..4 overides..i have to figure who slaves to what and when but everything so it can be SCRAM'd with 1-2 switch overide and started manually as i don't really trust these particular timers and i like to have easy capability to do that...just in case..

Here's the gear to run this starship:

fan-roof exhaust (nite&day)
    fan-dual intake (nite&day)

fan 1- cool tube exhaust(day)
    fan 2- '' '' intake(day)

air pump 1 (day)
    air pump 2 ( nite)

C02 (day)
    irrigation pump(day)

fan-fixed position 24/7

250w hps/mh (day)
    dehumidifier(nite)
    humidifier (day)

Now just to throw more variables in..several components have those step dwn trnsfmr plugs that cover other plugs up to plug in..

Before you ask ..two air pumps because i couldn't build a good sound enclosure for my big one that's real noisy so at nite i'll use a different one that's silent enough but not strong enough to be used 24/7...4-5 hrs is doable for my sleep cycle..

I wanted the drt-1 recycler but the ART-DNE i already have can and has been doing the job and i could use that $108 for something else more useful like a ppm bluelab truncheon for my failing Oakton

I have to be in the right mood to figure the controller stuff out ,coordinate timers, test plug components for fit, figure device placement in cab...

Now if i had JJ's big ass digital fuck me two times controller..grrrr! i'd just plug my stuff in set 24hr clock punch couple buttons and walk away ..done! My set up takes hours sometimes to program cause the battery is low and i have to figure which timer it is..

I'll be playing with it while i watch super bowl

dehumidifier ( nite & day)

Attached Files:

13. 2 seeds is better than none :) I was hoping for you to get 100% germ on them!

14. Hey D, using my recommended method the good Dr. did get 100% startup.

Sometimes, simple is the only way.

15. Ya D..what worked was no presoak straight into wet papr twl covered and then into my incubator where the temp could be consistently kept by using little vent fan and small thermometer.. i kinda got fixated on the cable bx as a heat source because lots of people use that technique here on GC basically i was on info overload.. I'm trying to unlearn stuff that's not effective and i threw the baby out with the bath water..oops! lol!

Now i can lavish these two with attention..hopefully one will be female and in that case i'll clone and do a c-1 perpetual grow like usual and have one month interval between harvests..both are female BONUS!! two chambers and scrogs..i think i can get these to rival your snojacks..they're displaying the same vigor at this point your snojks did ..Reggie did send replacements but i will run with these to see what i can do now that i'm past the hardest part

16. Dr. #4GGA cleared the soil last night, but unfortunately was headless. RIP. Waiting on 5. So far #2 has got the largest leaves.

17. Fickysis we all would like to see pics..you know GC rule #1

18. Fickysis sorry i'm feelin snarky this morn..what i meant was could you include pic if you can so we can track your progress and compare vigor

19. Nice!! Good suggestion Reggie! I never presoak either..

Happy to see you've got some sprouts going mengle!

20. G'day to all..Super Bowl Sun and there's lots of energy in the air so i got busy.Gave the gurls their first pair of Jimmy Cho's as the root was out the bottom and we don't need any drowning but also need them to strive to reach wtr causing more root growth..also being surrounded by geo rk cuts dwn on evap..mixed a hair of root accelerator in their dedicated non ferrous wtr bottle with distilled wtr no ph'ing yet...

Popped the sky roof in the k-haus so they can start getting rm temp air and getting acclimated so they can go under led/dwc this week with for real nute mix..k-haus is at 79 degrees..perfect..their color is a very healthy green with stalks starting to thicken and little leaves flatening out to catch lite so i think the light distance is good..

Figured out my poor man controller finally..all these will be mounted on a board in the positions shown and all the excess cord will be wound on a spool behind it..i'm figuring 16''x20'' holes in 4-5 spots for cord acess.. suspended by chain from ceiling with a little tilt back to wall of cab..

I'd like to explain how it all works in concert but it's just too complex for todays post..another time on that please..

I found a 4'' ocillating fan ! it's made to run on usb or 4AAA batterries however it will work with a usb/ac adaptor..saw it demo'd..$12 for fan adaptor $2.50 on Amazon..that size and price i'll get two! it stands 8''..blades are 4''..cage 5''..perfect size for my cab..very tight..

Saw JJ's black on black control center..very chi-chi fu-fu ...NOW it's on! i'm gonna get serious chi- chi- fu-fu ..lol !! you ain't seen nothing yet..i will make my rig tight as Dr. Afgahni ..rest his soul.

Attached Files: