Dr Earth Pot of Gold Potting Soil

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by jakrustle, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Saw this soil at a nursery when I was shopping today. It is loaded with ingredients per the bag, anyway. It has everything from Forest Humus, peat moss, EWC, yucca and Aloe extract to kelp meal, soybean meal, alfalfa meal, Mycors and a few other good things. Thing is, I really bought this because I like their products and didn't really the know cost of it until I rang up everything I bought. It was $18.95. SHIT!! It is gold! I should have pulled it off the cart.

Anyway, should I mix any more ingredients with this soil given it's ingredients? I am going to get some of the straight Kellogg's stuff and mix up what I have been working on, but I would like to use this up anyway. Let me know what you guys think.

JaK

2. Jak

Of all the amendments and stuff listed on that bag, how many do you have?

I know you have a lot of *stuff* and are probably close to the point where you could mix your own 'Gold' potting soil at considerably less cost.

Wet

3. Wet, I am in total agreement with you. My idea idea is that these meals, some of them anyway, won't break down enough to "burn" the plant in 12 weeks. However, enough of some of them might.

So, what I was thinking of doing was growing a couple out in the Pot of Gold alone and a couple with the original plan of plain soil (Kellogg's), EWC, compost, pumice and all the amendments - alfalfa, kelp, bone, fish.

Of course, I have the liquid/minerals to add to both - soft rock phosphate, greensand, Sul Po Mag, Cal Mag, Seaweed/Fish, KIS Seaweed Extract, TM 7, SCD BioAg and two teas (one at beginning, one at flower is the plan).

You know, I am thinking my water is creating issues. It is extremely hard. Though I run it through the Brita, I think it is lacking some things and/or too much of others. I was thinking of going with Distilled. Possum did good with his using it. Sounds like the right thing to do. I do get rain water now and then, so I will supplement when I can.

Let me know what you guys think.

JaK

4. Yeah my buddie also used black-gold, Blew his plants up outdoor but i agree with wetdog, you can make your on platinum bomb soil lol.

5. Here is an old post from April. It describes this soil and the recommendations that Milo, the owner of Dr Earth recommends for medical cannabis cultivation. Seems even though his soil is loaded, he recommends use of a lot of his ferts and liquid supplements. I am thinking of loading up my new bag with a modified % of my original recipe intended for peat or a run of the mill soil from the Big Box.

Here's that post. Some good info for those who want to use prepared amendments and ferts:

Again, this is a past post:I wanted to share this with you guys. The owner himself replied promptly to me within a couple hours of sending them and email. I've never recieved communication back like this for other inquiries. True show in character and care from the owner. They get my full respect and business.

I attached the copy of the feeding schedule he sent me along with a picture of the potting soil package for those interested.

RE: Contact: Bayside
    Milo Shammas <milo@doctorearth.net>
    Add to Contacts

To:
    Ben <espi302@yahoo.com>

Dear Ben,

First of all, I want to wish you the very best of health and a speedy recovery. I hope your pain level is completely under control and your quality of life is the best that it can be. I have been donating soils and fertilizers to different medicinal cannabis clubs in Northern California for a years to develop the best program for indoor medicinal gardeners. Many professional growers have assisted me in creating a feeding schedule designed for success and maximum yield and potency.

To help growers such as yourself, I have attached a feeding schedule (and package picture) that I think will help to completely demystify the process and assist you to grow the healthiest plants you possibly can.

If you need anything else, Please let me know.

My best,

Milo

Woods are lovely dark and deep

But I have Promises to keep

Miles to go before I sleep-----

Milo Lou Shammas

Founder & Formulator

Dr. Earth, Inc.

The Independents Brand©

Just Go Organic™

707-448-4676

Welcome to Dr. Earth

HEALTHY GARDEN HEALTHY YOU - The Book

P Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.©

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 6:46 PM
    To: talktome@doctorearth.net
    Subject: Contact: Bayside

Name: Ben

Email: espi302@yahoo.com

Your Local Nursery: Bayside

First I want to thank you for years of hard work creating premium soils/fertilizers that revolutionized the gardening industry. I’m a big fan of what you do. It’s been great to see someone has been taking the next step to help educate folks on the importance of supporting the balance of life in soil. It’s also been great to watch the demand for pro-biotic organics slowly grow- causing big businesses to in turn begin the shift away from using pure synthetics.
    I’ve been a gardener for a long time now and have used your potting soil/fertilizers for years to grow many different plants…including cannabis within the last year. Two years ago, I was in a nearly fatal car accident and was lucky enough to get back on my feet several months later. Rather than depend on synthetic pain pills, I decided to go with a more natural remedy to help alleviate some of the pain. I’ve been a medical marijuana patient since and have opted to grow my own to save $$. Plus homegrown is just the way to go for any plant.
    I know this may be a sensitive subject, so I completely understand if you feel uncomfortable or put off by my decision to be honest with what I’m doing. That being said, I’m wondering if you might be able to provide a couple pointers on a feeding schedule and which of your soil/fert you recommend for canna growth?

Kindly,
    Ben

Attached Files
    \tDRearth indoor schedule[1].doc (29.0 KB, 239 views)
    \t10-1161_POTting_Soil.pdf (3.19 MB, 100 views)

6. Howdy Jak. About the only thing I'd recommend is you ensure you have around 30% by volume of your perlite/pumice to ensure the soil is light, fluffy, and ample porosity.

We've kinda-sorta already shared thoughts on the water quality thing. With the $'s we invest in our soil mixes and ammendments a few more on "good water" is almost a non-event. Know what I mean? Ease your mind bro and take the path of least resistance.

7. Pos, no resistance! Advice taken on the water!!I am not going to run a 250W bulb for 12 hours a day, for 8 weeks and not take all precautions. At least ones I know I should take. I have my 3 mixes put together per LD. My "Food Mix", my "Fix mix" and my "Mineral Mix", then the Sul Po Mag. I am not going to dump 12 gallons of soil and try to mix this in like I did last time. I am going to take each requirement of my "mixes" for 3 gallons and mix that first with some lightly wetted EWC and Compost - let that sit for a day or two. Once they have gotten together I am going to mix up my soil with the required EWC, Compost and Pumice. These will sit until my new beans have popped and they have outgrown their party cups. My plan is to keep the soil lightly moist throughout the cooking stage with maybe a dose of FPE (sprouted alfalfa or the rice wash). Then I will transplant into this media for hopefully one heck of a grow. This shit really gets you going. Peace.

JaK

JaK

8. #8 jakrustle, Jul 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2011
    Just got back from shopping. I got a small bag, 12 qts. of Pumice (the real fine stuff that I would rather not have), an EB Stone Product (overpriced IMO) at a local nursery along with a 2.2 cu.ft. bail of Sphagnum Peat Moss (Black Gold).

Yesterday I was able to pick up the 1cuft bag of Malibu Biodynamic at a local building supply store. The people at Malibu put forth a lot of effort finding someone in the Phoenix area to sell it. I really appreciate the for doing that. It is a nice drive from my house to get it, also. I get to drive through a lot of cotton fields, hay fields and horse farms. A light buzz really enhances the scenery, even in 109 degree weather.

So, I am off to the races to put together my "stuff" that I am hoping will make an excellent grow for me and my wife to harvest in about 14 weeks. Hope to share a lot of my progress in a grow journal with you feller growers!

Peace out, bras - male and female alike, of course!

JaK