Down Speed to ETA Issue

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by DonnyKepano, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Okay, so I'm not computer stupid but I'm not an expert either.
    I'm downloading an application through a torrent (uTorrent 3.0) and relatively well speeds compared to most people I know, but I know isn't that great either; avg. 19kB/s.
    That isn't as fast as I used to get when I first got Comcast and my new Vaio about a year back.
    The application is only 138 MB and the ETA is about 2 hours!
    I used to download GB files faster than that!!!
    However I'm pretty sure Comcast may have cut our bandwidth shorter or if my mom did something or our plan changed.
    But I would like to know what I can do to improve Down Speed and/or ETA for files, as well as if there may be a problem on my network or computer causing this.
    I will try to figure out more about our provider plan and helpful details but until then I would appreciate any suggestions and help. Thank you.

2. If you torrent alot then comcast may have throttled you. But check in the utorret setting under bandwidth. See if you changed the max down speed or something.

3. The way BitTorrent works, it downloads part of each file from anyone who has that part.

This means that your connection could be 1 Gbps, but if no one has the parts of the file you need then your download speed will be 0. Or if only 1 guy has it and his Internet connection has a slow upload speed, then his upload speed will be your limit.

See what I mean?

4. yeah all previous are true.

try playing with your settings
    reading the help files when you dont understand.

but i had problems with throtleing with comcast, they are rather selective they dont do it to every account it depends, mabey you cought there eye.
    i was fine with them for about a month then they would send false packets to my modem that would block the mac address of the computer i was torrenting from i would have to reset my connection every time.
    in the end i switched isps

And also mabey there just arent any seeds
    peers are not all seeds.

utorrent can show you how much of the download that each peer has
    peers with 100% are seeds

good luck, and remember to seed!

5. Whenever you download a torrent take a look at the seeders to leechers ratio which is usually listed on the website. Higher the seeds and lower the leechers usually equals fast download.

6. Much appreciation and thanks to everyone for a swift response.
    I always compare the ratio (seeders to leechers) pre-torrent and then in the info stream (seed and peers) during download.
    I was worried about Comcast having cut - or throttled, as my new favorite lol - me.
    So I have to give a special shout out and thank you to overheatedmud :
    I checked my settings in uTorrent and my down speed was capped to 20 kB/ps!
    I had it set to unlimited (0) before, but I must have forgot to shift settings after updating. My test download I was using for this was a 172MB file, and the down speed jumped to 1.5 MB/ps and my 2 hour ETA jumped to 2 minutes then finished in less than one!
    However, now that I have fear have being throttled my Comcast I think I'll monitor this more carefully and cap it. I don't DL too much anywho so it shouldn't be a problem.
    Much thanks again to everyone!!!! :)

7. I'm pretty sure I'm being throttled by mediacom because I've had 2 notices from them about downloading copyright material (I used to download torrents). After the first notice, I noticed my connection was slightly slower (went from 18-20MB/s to 10-13 MB/s). Is there any way to fix it without having to switch ISP's? The only time I care is when I get laggy on online gaming so even just a way to better the ping/jitter would be awesome.

8. [quote name='"DBV"']I'm pretty sure I'm being throttled by mediacom because I've had 2 notices from them about downloading copyright material (I used to download torrents). After the first notice, I noticed my connection was slightly slower (went from 18-20MB/s to 10-13 MB/s). Is there any way to fix it without having to switch ISP's? The only time I care is when I get laggy on online gaming so even just a way to better the ping/jitter would be awesome.[/quote]

In what way did they contact you? This freaks me out! Never heard of throttling or any of this :bolt:

9. #9 DBV, Dec 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2011
    They sent letters in the mail two different times. The second one said they'd terminate my services on the third time so I've stopped completely.

btw, I hadn't heard of throttling either until this thread.. but it makes sense why my connections slower. I can usually restart my modem AND router and get a good solid connection for 10-20 minutes, then it'll go from great to laggy and back and forth until I restart again. It's annoying as fuck. Karma I guess.. :( Better than jail!

10. Force encryption will help with them seeing what you're doing, you won't be able to workaround them seeing how much you download/upload though.

11. I don't really care about them monitoring me cause I stopped downloading anyways.. I just want a good, less jittered connection. Will forced encryption help with jitter?

12. nah man, while the encryption is alwayse prefered, there are alot of people that dont use it, so by forcing it you are not downloading from people who dont have it.

unfortunate most ways to improve bandwidth will hinder security

13. Except it won't because your ISP isn't searching for torrent traffic.

The copyright-holders (music and movie production companies) are the ones who seed torrents and then track who illegally downloads them. After that they report those people to their individual ISP's (who are then obligated to send you notifications).

Throttling is usually done for high data usage, not necessarily illegal torrents.

14. Oh shit. Never knew this!

15. Yup. that's exactly how it happened for me too. The ISP's themselves have way to many people to watch over to do it like that... it's the people that actually own the content that care.