Double stack 2x400w 4x4 bare bulb coco vert stadium

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by jd4083, Mar 11, 2014.

1. #1 jd4083, Mar 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2014
    What's up fellas...long time no see. Hope everybody is well.

This is a straight up frankenstein grow with random stuff that have accumulated over the years and I'm setting it up for my mom, who historically has a pretty black thumb and will kill anything with roots. With that in mind, I'm going with my favorite medium (coco) and I'm going to give Blumats a try to try to keep it as hands-off as possible on her. I'm about an hour away and frequently travel to the area so I can check in 2-3 times a week as needed. Here's the basic rundown of what's happening and then a few questions that I have following that:

-[redacted] tent from the good ol days... [edit: I just realized that the 4x4 is a POS that has a bunch of little holes in it. I decided to use the other tent I have, not sure what it is but it might be a Sunhut as well. Actual usable interior space = 52"(L)x34"(D)x72"(H). This might make my idea of a mini-stadium more necessary, yeah?

-2x 400w (one switchable and one HPS, so I'm thinking I can put the Hortilux HPS up top and the Hortilux MH on the bottom or just run 2x HPS if that is preferable)

-Going for bare bulb with a simple hanging mechanism a la the little 400w torture chamber grow I did (I think a link is in my sig, also shows how weird and freaky I get with my training) -- if absolutely necessary I will throw a cooltube in there vertically, but I want to avoid it if possible

-Fine coco, tap water, canna A, canna B, rhizotonic, nothing else for nutes unless corrective action is necessary

-Planning to do a very simple stadium with 8 plants total, 2 on each side of the bottom tier and 2 on each side of the top. I intend to heavily train outwards and around in order to really utilize the lights. I typically veg for 2-3 weeks for something like this but I'm considering going for 4 weeks or maybe even a bit more and ending up in ~3gal pots...am I going to regret this with these genetics?

-I have 2x cheap 4" inline fans -- I'm guessing that I will need to go dig up or buy a 6" (maybe even an 8" if it gets hot quick here) but I also have a question about this below as well

-I have no current access to clones (much to my chagrin :( ) but I do have a pack each of  SSSDH from Connoisseur and   Genius x Deep Chunk from Cannacopia -- should I even bother trying for double trouble here or stick with one or the other for the ease of simplicity and to make my half-assed pheno hunt I have planned a little more feasible? If the latter, which would you suggest? I don't have any experience with either cross and both were gifted...haven't worked with any of the parents in either cross that I can recall. 

So, aside from the questions listed above, here is the meat and potatoes of what I want some advice on since I'm pretty god damned rusty right about now:

1.) This seems like a really dumb question to me and it probably is so go easy on me as I've never thought about this or tried it -- is it possible or helpful in any way to link up two 4" inlines, either directly together or in a particular sequence? I can go buy whatever equipment I need but it would be pretty cool to be able to use everything I already had and not have to buy a thing besides some new media...just worried that a single 4" inline isn't going to cut it with bare bulbs and coming into the spring months where it gets really weirdly hot out of nowhere here

2.) Is a cooltube going to be necessary here or will a combo of heavy training to keep the canopies against the tent and wrapped around the light but far enough away to prevent bulb burns and proper ventilation/cooling make that unnecessary? I've had plants extremely close to single bare 400w bulbs and they almost had to touch to get any bleaching so I'm thinking this is something I can work with and not need anything additional to keep things from getting crispy. 

3.) As I said, I haven't worked with either strain listed. I've heard good things about both and I think either one will produce pot that is something my mom can enjoy (and myself as well as I'm sure I'll be running this myself if it is good) if we get lucky with the right phenos. With that said, I'm thinking a monocropping situation is the way to go here, and I get the feeling that the SSSDH will be considerably more finicky on nutes than the Genius x DC (as well as being considerably larger and taking much longer to flower if I had to guess...). Is this a correct assumption or am I way off? Thoughts on what you would do here? 

4.) Regarding Blumats -- is this still a good product or is there a better alternative? Will I be able to feed with the nutes I mentioned or will it clog up the drippers? Any ideas for this to make it as autonomous an operation as possible without going the hydro/aero route? 

5.) Final question (for now) is whether I want 2x HPS or 1x HPS and 1x MH...I have a Hortilux in each variety and a handful of other random 400w bulbs. Should I just get a CMH instead or is there something new that I need to know about? 

and just as a random note, I also have one of those cheap 150w integrated ballast HPS from SS (I think) that I will probably use to veg horizontally because I'm weird and that's the way I like to veg for small vert grows :moon:  

anyways, sorry for all the q's and I greatly appreciate the help in advance. take care y'all

And one more question while I'm at it -- is the idea of a stadium with this space even realistic or should I be going with taller trees in larger pots and just let them grow up as well as out since I have way more headroom than I need?

I was taking a look at silver hawaiian's thread here (https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=235020) and I dig his setup, looks far simpler than what I have planned and is more in line with what I have done in the past. Can somebody with more experience with these genetics tell me what I should be aiming for in terms of overall efficiency with the phenos that are to be expected if I run a pack of one or the other (or each?)

and shit....

How about a couple random shots of my brand new (and heavily used, excuse the mess) locally blown oil rig just for shits and giggles? I know this thread is really unexciting as it stands and I promise it will get really fun here shortly. I know how to get a lot done with very little.   :confused_2:  the  girlfriend is not currently available for comment...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

oil is from some lovely Tahoe OG I made myself (quite sloppily) with the flowers courtesy of my wonderful friend in Colorado...you know who you are you awesome person ;)