"dood money is just fake anyway"

Discussion in 'General' started by PlatonicStrtgst, Nov 21, 2011.

1. IT IS RARE percisely because it is rare too homeless people, its rare to a relative degree and less rare than gold but its rarity is infact what makes it valueable. in principle it is identical to gold in the reasoning to its value and "realness"

2. I like money, we should hang out

3. Can you rephrase that

4. Gold doesn't have value because it's rare. It has value because you can't just make gold. You can, however, make dollars. When paper currency is backed by gold, then at least you know that your money has actual value because it represents gold. When currency is backed by nothing, it means governments can just print as much as they want whenever they want which in turn makes every dollar worth less and less.

As for money in general, nobody wants money. People want what money represents which is the ability to buy shit.

5. You call gold objectively more valuable than fiat money. That is not the case. They are both valuable on the principle of rarity. Fiat money can be manufacture to be more rare than gold. Would that make Fiat money more real in value? No, and thats gold's only distinction. It is as fake as fiat money. Perhaps its more stable, but still ultimately as fake.

6. I understand WHY gold has more value. I'm saying its just as fake, and people who think gold magically is more real as a currency then fiat money is bogus. On a desert Island, it would have no purchasing power. All currency is fake, but some people use it as some insight that dollars worthless and useless because they are fake. its insane.

7. Ok I see your point:D

8. #29 Lambchop1, Nov 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2011
    From a philosophical point of view you can say it's not real etc.

But when it comes down to it, it's a necessary medium. Without money transactions would be a million times less efficient. We'd be trading chickens for oil changes lol and paying 2 cows a month for a mortgage. With money, people can specialize in what they produce and don't have to worry about whether or not the person with the item they need wants the item you produce. Everyone accepts the use of money because it's simply more practical than not having currency. You can argue that people are too focused on money, but you can't say that it's something you can completely disregard while still living a normal and comfortable life.

9. paper money is worthless, but gold is valuable because our alien overlords need it to power their spaceships

[​IMG]

10. how is all this currency "fake"?

11. If you're on a deserted island, why would you need purchasing power? It's...deserted. There's nothing to purchase. No form of government, no existence of an economy, etc. Sooo that doesn't really make any sense.:confused:

12. Lmao your arguing against the same thing I am. I'm saying its stupid to think because its fake it is useless. I'm saying it doesn't matter that its fake.

13. Last time I said that I lost $700

Fuck my life.

14. exactly what im saying, all currency is fake. so people who say gold is more real than fiat money are wrong.

im saying being fake doesnt matter.

15. beyond this, what exactly are you trying to say?

:confused:

16. the worth of gold is dictated by people that are willing to pay the ammount x for it. if nobody wanted to have gold anymore and everybody was thinking money was safe and stable gold wouldnt be worth shit. in that sense the worth of gold is indeed not real.

gold is just like a stock paper that everybody thinks is safe.

everybody tells you to buy gold, but somehow that seems weird cause 99% of those people just tell you that, because they heard you should buy it, but those people most of the time dont know jack, besides: BUY GOLD BRO!

so yeah...

luckily i bought all the gold i have 12 years ago! what up!

17. You cannot make gold...you can print as much paper as you want.

Paper money is only valuable because people believe in it.

Gold is valuable because there is a very limited supply on earth.

18. THAT DOESNT MATTER THE PRICE CAN STILL FLUCTUATE!

What if a bought %80 of the gold. Demand would soar! the price would soar. And if I then sold all of my gold, to many people for a a dollar an ounce, the price would inflate. You can maniuplate the price in the same ways as fiat money.

And its not its limited supply that makes it valuable. It is its use in jewlery, its prettiness, on a desert island its limited quantity doesnt make it valuable

19. ^^ he got it right ! finally someone with some sense.