Don't Bug Me/ Pyrethrum Damaging Plants

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by LightGuy420, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Hi. I got a couple clones from a friend and they had some spider mites on them. The were small enough, I figured i could get rid of them before they got out of control. So I trimmed some of the bad spots and sprayed the rest with Fox Farms Don't Bug Me, which is pretty much just pyrethrum.. I sprayed the whole plant pretty good, completely covered it. Then I waited about 30/45 minutes and sprayed them with water really good. Then the plants started to curl and turn brown and just looked horrible. It took about 10 days before they started showing new growth and slowly came back to health. I figured it could have been multiple things like the change of environment, the trimming, and the dousing in pyrethrum..

But then I noticed some spider mites on a bigger, much more healthy plant. So I decided to hit it with the pyrethrum. I didn't completely douse it like I did the clones, but I got the bottom half and underside pretty good. And this time sprayed it with water about 20 minutes after.. Then, slowly the plant started doing the same thing as the clones. Curling and turning brown and crispy and just looking very sickly. It is just now starting to come back to health..

So I was wondering why this happens? I thought the Dont Bug Me (or any pyrethrum spray) was ok to spray on the plants? But it is clearly the spray causing my plants to nearly die. Any ideas?

I also wanted to post this so no one else makes the same mistake. It is pretty devastating to see a beautiful plant basically mutilate and there's nothing you can do but wait it out and hope it comes back..

2. I dont use that crap, but thanks for the tip.

Did you happen to have your lights on when you sprayed? :p

-OSUB

3. Yes, I did have the lights on. Do you think that could have caused the plant to burn or something?

And, what do you recommend using? I have heard mite rid is good. I went with the pyrethrum spray because I figured, if a flower produces it naturally to keep bugs away it must be good haha. Which it did get rid of the mites thus far, but the plants took a hard hit.. I was thinking if they came back I would try mite rid..

4. dyna gro neem oil. i love neem products.

and yes, the light could have played a role in burning the plants.

spray right before the lights turn off with whatever you spray, from now on.

i would stop using the dont bug me if it did that to your plants, twice.

-OSUB

5. Ok, cool. Thanks for the info. I believe mite rid is a neem oil product, but i'll check out the dyna gro too. I use their nutes :)

Thanks again!

6. You need I vacuum all of your plants and get all the adult mites and larva and webbing. Go ahead and order the basic pack of 300 lady bugs and release them into your grow.
    Get your self some Nematodes off amazon ($20 with shipping). Also pick up some neem meal and rosemary leaf and garlic. Put them all together and do a 4 hour brew and spray the plants and the pots twice a daily with lights off.
    That should take care of your problem.