Dollar General soil?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by thirdeyehigh420, Mar 27, 2008.

1. At my local dollar store there is a 5lbs bag of soil for a dollar and a another kind that said prosoil or somethin, should I buy such cheap soil?

2. Generally soil that cheap is that cheap for a reason. Doesnt contain much of anything. However until we know brands and what it contains, we cant say much.

3. The one just said dollar general indoor/outdoor potting soil, the other wasnt much better, it pretty much has what regular soils have

4. Word of advice from a grower who used crap soil. It's not good. A good portion of it turns into mud which in return messes with your ph. If you do go that route you can't water much at all. I have good experience so far with fox farm and sunshine mix #2.

5. its probably just top soil with 0% nutrients wouldn't be good for more than 1-2 weeks for a plants life

6. Yeah true, i just seen the price and I was like well shit why am I paying 10 bucks for MG when I can pay 1 for the same amount, but yeah, when I start gettin paid at my new job, ill go out and get the best of everything. Thanx for the input.

7. don't use that cheap soil. i found out the hard way after stealing bags of it from a dollar store and using it. i'm now trying to revive my 20 something seedlings, beucause the soil was like mud and got rock hard when it dried. i just use MG and mix in some of that cheap soil to save money and so far my other 13 seedlings are doing great

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. $5 for a bag of potting soil at Walmart and $4 for perlite and throw a little sand in there for extra drainage. Or find someone with a garden with good fertile soil and offer to buy some for $5. Chances are they will give it to ya

Sent from Hell using Tapatalk

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Crap soil = crap plants, crapped up 9 year old thread, with crappy advice :smoke:

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. I hope more and more newbies come across this thread to be more educated about crap soil. Atleast have some pride in your grow. People get attached to their plants and get sensitive and freak out when something bad happens because they didn't educate themselves a lil to have done the right thing in the first place and used crap soil. Make your plants happy and they Will do the same for you :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ancient thread dudes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. That's ok, still relevant,
    Buddy of mine was raving about the dollar store soil that he got such a great deal on, .... until the bugs hatched, came with gnats ( lot of soil comes with gnats though) red ants,and he thinks spider mites,
    Ruined like 6 months of work, had to reset everything,
    Building your own, or buying a trusted quality Cana friendly soil is worth its weight in gold

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 3
  13. I'm just telling him Walmart soil and/or good fertile soil would be better than that muddy stuff. I guess I should of specified that I would never do that heh

14. Damn I was stoned when I made this reply. I got the Tapatalk app and for some reason this thread showed up like it was new. Still no reason for anyone to be an ass

• Like Like x 1
  16. Cheap soil and good soil can both be crap. Even FF and RO can be hit and miss with the quality control.
    It is ok to start out with RO or FF, but it really is worth it in the long run to buy the stuff to make your own.

Yeah, no expiration date on a thread about otc soil.
    Just to put it into perspective, I spent around 200 on soil making ingredients. I got 50lb bags of oyster shell flour, bentonite, ag dolomite, glacial rock dust, gypsum, kelp, alfalfa, crustation meal, fish bone meal and 5lb boxes of so po mag and neem seed meal. Also got 3.8 cf bale of spag peat moss and pearlite. Add castings or compost and you have enough stuff to last you for years. You can go all small 5lb boxes, but why pay 15 for 5lb of fish bone meal when you can get 50lbs for under 40.

• Like Like x 3
  17. I've been making my own soil
    From scratch for years and I'll never buy store bought soil again. Any soil that needs supplemental bottled nutrients is overpriced and low quality imo.

J

• Agree Agree x 3