Dog Shit ?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Deleted member 638051, Feb 25, 2019.

1. What is the downside of adding these free backyard land mines in my soil?
    3 dogs can make quite the pile in a weeks time.

Is there some reason it's not a good idea?

I'm already adding rabbit shit, worm shit, and bat shit to a base that already has a little cow shit in it.

Will dog shit help? Will it hurt?

2. Risk of pathogens

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. You could compost it and use it, but there are a lot of better inputs for your compost pile, for me it's a no go.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. I'm not sure regular composting practices would be sufficient to kill potential harmful pathogens in carnivore feces.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. if your four legged friends ate a veg/grass based diet, I'd say go for it, but with meat, that's a whole different digestive process and the byproducts require much different considerations.

cheers

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. A. Is there some scientific source to back up this claim?
    B. It could have gotten stuff from the parents?
    C. Even a dog fed only vegetarian food meets other dogs, sniffs poo and butt and unless highely trained will eat pretty much anything it finds outside (and inside lol).

IMO there is too much risk involved and plenty of options for other inputs to use in compost.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. i'd be questioning the likely-hood of a vegan dog before anything else.

but to answer the question, i only know what i've learned doing the work i do and I've been told that as long as the manure is veg/feed/grain/grass based, it can go back into the soil or compost, all other waste has to be treated and dealt with in another manner

• Like Like x 2
  8. Burn that shit and use the ashes
    Biochar

You could also leach it like a field patty. You just keep watering it and letting it dry in the sun until its bleached. Then you crush it up

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hey Scoobie, think about biosolids. Human shit composted and sold to us as organic fertilizer. I'm guessing if you had your composting game dialed in, you could compost dog shit and be ok. But like others have said, not worth the risk imo.

P-

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. How do you burn shit without pouring diesel on it and lighting it with gasoline?

11. Funeral Pyre. Put two coins on it and send it to the River Styx

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. That's probably the best way to deal with it, but probably illegal where I live.
    I am currently throwing it in the dumpster, which isn't exactly the right thing either.
    Our city just got a new sewer system. We were all on septic before. The greenies were bitching something about too many nitrates in the ground and fought for decades to get the sewer. It was a crazy fight, but ended up with a sewer system. Everybody's cost went up and retirees had to move out. My rent here increased $200 a month as soon as we were connected. Not sure how adding any type of septic would fly around here.

Of course, nobody would have to know about that hole in the back yard.

• Like Like x 1
  13. What hole? I didnt see any hole :whistle:

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Don't hit me no more, boss. I got my mind right.:dance2:

• Like Like x 1
  15. I tried to use Em-1 on my dogs shit, had the same idea. He’s a damn horse: haha. i used a 5 gallon kitty litter bucket with lid. Never used it anywhere was gonna bury it. Threw it in a dumpster. Wasn’t that bad of smell.

I’d do it in the yard. Not my potting mix!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

16. I think bokashi can be used.

• Like Like x 2
  17. A little sideways tangent on the dog manure.
    I saw a study done by UAA (I think UAA), where they used composting worms to 'process' humanure in compostable bags from Mt. Denali mountain climbers. After a calendar year of vermicomposting, Urea and lime were added. The final contents were then tested and shown to be free of pathogens. It was then used in gardens in the neighboring town of Talkeetna, AK; which is where the vermicomposting experiment took place.
    My take away, I would want to be able to have 'processed' dog manure tested at a lab before using for growing anything (other than my lawn, since dog shit already appears there magically).
    cheers
    os

• Like Like x 2
  18. This is why I have no problem running crappy un organic soil through the worm bin. They remediate poor soil. Idk why we wouldn’t wanna use resources we have available to us!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

19. upload_2019-2-26_8-49-19.jpeg

Great book. The author actually lived it.