Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Does weed kill brain cells?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by WinBud, Jul 21, 2011.

1. I never thought pot killed brain cells but when i was discovered by my parents i had to go see my doctor. She laid on me some BS about pot having 4x as much tar as cigarettes (which means 4x the cancer.) What the hell! Does anyone know of any trustable sources that proves or disproves these accusations? :smoke:

2. Four times as much tar as cigarettes? I actually laughed at that.

3. i thought the tar in cigarettes came from the nicotine.

4. Use google and look for studies. People here will also provide links.

That said, there is no evidence that it kills brain cells, though there is some linking it to memory loss, and some cognitive impairment. I know that I'm gonna get tons of people saying that it is completely harmless, however I personally haven't seen the actual flaws in said studies (no I'm not talking about the ones on monkeys, they were total BS), and dismissing a study as propaganda without seeing the fault in the study myself, is just as bad as all the people who dismiss the studies supporting Marijuana without actually understanding it.

Tl:dr There are negative effects of smoking weed, but it doesn't kill brain cells.

5. no lol. Marijuana and tobacco are actually fairly similar chemically. The Tar just comes from inhaling plant matter into your lungs, it has nothing to do with what the psychoactive ingredient is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. I feel there would be more marijuana related deaths if that was true

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. So a gram of tobacco will have an equal amount of tar as a gram of weed?

8. The myth of pot killing brain cells comes from a study done on monkeys. The monkeys were hooked up a gas mask that injected thc into their longs without oxygen. The monkeys lost their brain cells from lack of oxygen not the marijuana. Other than that study their is no proof of marijuana killing brain cells. The monkeys inhaled 5 joints worth of marijuana everyday..

9. its close. but tar only accounts for 10% of your cancer risks, the part about tobacco being grown with radioactive fertillser is the other 90 haha thats why you get cancer from cigs a nd not weed:smoke:.
    'learned this from granny storm crow lol:smoke::smoke:

10. Wow your doctor is lying ( a shame), there is no proof that you lose braincells because when government did the study on pot they used monkeys for smoking the point. They gave us the results and said that weed kills your braincells. But they didn't tell you how the monkeys were given the weed and how they smoked it, people found out they put a gas mas on the monkey and pumped in weed for 5 minute straight. When it's 5 minutes straight, the monkey is pretty much sufficating and not getting oxygen and when you don't get oxygen you start to lose braincells. Lol just watched The UNion recently....

11. Here: [ame=http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9077214414651731007]The Union[/ame]
    THIS FUCKING AMAZING DOCUMENTARY WILL BASICALLY CLEAR UP ALL YOUR QUESTIONS.

12. There are literally hundreds of chemicals found in both tobacco and marijuana. Some of them have been shown to be carcinogenic. They can be found in both weed and tobacco.

One study out of U of Washington found no link between weed and cancer. Their hypothesis is that the THC actually kills the aging cells in the lungs before they become cancerous.

If that theory is true, one could say that weed causes cancer, but at the same time kills the cancer, hence canceling out the same stuff.

13. Thanks for the movie. This is so interesting i almost forgot to smoke.

14. Neurogenesis, chemical composition of smoke and lung cancer - reliable sources? - it's a snap! ;) That is, if you have my List (that first link in my sig). These are from my home version- a bit bigger than GC's.

Cannabinoid receptor CB1 mediates baseline and activity-induced survival of new neurons in adult hippocampal neurogenesis (full - 2010) (Hippocampus = part of the brain)
    Cannabinoid receptor CB1 mediates baseline and activity-induced survival of new neurons in adult hippocampal neurogenesis

Cannabinoids promote hippocampus neurogenesis and produce anxiolytic- and antidepressant-like effects (full - 2005)
    [FONT=&quot]Journal of Clinical Investigation -- Cannabinoids promote embryonic and adult hippocampus neurogenesis and produce anxiolytic- and antidepressant-like effects

[/FONT] The CB1 Cannabinoid Receptor Mediates Excitotoxicity-induced Neural Progenitor Proliferation and Neurogenesis (full - 2007) (THC is a CB1 & 2 agonist- it turns on the CB1 & 2 receptors)
    The CB1 Cannabinoid Receptor Mediates Excitotoxicity-induced Neural Progenitor Proliferation and Neurogenesis

High-dose cannabis stimulates growth of brain cells in rats (news – 2005)
    High-dose cannabis stimulates growth of brain cells in rats - Health News, Health & Families - The Independent

Good News For The Medical Marijuana Movement: Pot Proliferates Brain Cells And Boosts Mood (news - 2005)
    Good News For The Medical Marijuana Movement: Pot Proliferates Brain Cells And Boosts Mood

Marijuana May Grow Neurons in the Brain (news - 2005)
    Medical News: Marijuana May Grow Neurons in the Brain - in Psychiatry, Anxiety & Stress from MedPage Today

Marijuana might cause new cell growth in the brain (news - 2005)
    Marijuana might cause new cell growth in the brain - health - 13 October 2005 - New Scientist

Non-psychoactive CB2 cannabinoid agonists stimulate neural progenitor proliferation (full - 2006)
    Non-psychoactive CB2 cannabinoid agonists stimulate neural progenitor proliferation

Differential effects of cannabis extracts and pure plant cannabinoids on hippocampal neurones and glia. (abst - 2006)
    Differential effects of cannabis extracts and pure... [Neurosci Lett. 2006] - PubMed result

CB2 cannabinoid receptors promote mouse neural stem cell proliferation. (abst – 2007) CB2 cannabinoid receptors promote mouse neural ste... [Eur J Neurosci. 2007] - PubMed result

and lung cancer-

Marijuana Use and the Risk of Lung and Upper Aerodigestive Tract Cancers: Results of a Population-Based Case-Control Study (full - 2006)
    http://cebp.aacrjournals.org/content/15/10/1829.full

Large Study Finds No Link between Marijuana and Lung Cancer (news - 2006)
    Large Study Finds No Link between Marijuana and Lung Cancer: Scientific American

{Delta}-9 Tetrahydrocannabinol inhibits growth and metastasis of lung cancer.
    (abst - 2007) (metastasis means spread)
    http://www.aacrmeetingabstracts.org...searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=1760&resourcetype=HWCIT

Marijuana Cuts Lung Cancer Tumor Growth In Half, Study Shows (news – 2007) Marijuana Cuts Lung Cancer Tumor Growth In Half, Study Shows

Marijuana May Fight Lung Tumors (news - 2007)
    [FONT=&quot]Marijuana May Fight Lung Tumors[/FONT]

Inhibition of Cancer Cell Invasion by Cannabinoids via Increased Expression of Tissue Inhibitor of Matrix Metalloproteinases-1 (full - 2008)
    Inhibition of Cancer Cell Invasion by Cannabinoids via Increased Expression of Tissue Inhibitor of Matrix Metalloproteinases-1

Doubts about the role of cannabis in causing lung cancer. (letter - 2008)
    Doubts about the role of cannabis in causing lung cancer

Delta9-Tetrahydrocannabinol inhibits epithelial growth factor-induced lung cancer cell migration in vitro as well as its growth and metastasis in vivo. (abst – 2008) Delta9-Tetrahydrocannabinol inhibits epithelial gr... [Oncogene. 2008] - PubMed result

Decrease of plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 may contribute to the anti-invasive action of cannabidiol on human lung cancer cells. (abst - 2010)
    Decrease of plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 may ... [Pharm Res. 2010] - PubMed result

Cannabidiol inhibits cancer cell invasion via upregulation of tissue inhibitor of matrix metalloproteinases-1. (abst - 2010)
    Cannabidiol inhibits cancer cell invasion via upre... [Biochem Pharmacol. 2010] - PubMed result

Cannabinoid Receptors, CB1 and CB2, as Novel Targets for Inhibition of Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Growth and Metastasis (abst – 2010)Cannabinoid Receptors, CB1 and CB2, as Novel Targets for Inhibition of Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Growth and Metastasis

Now if a substance slows the growth and spread of a cancer, it just doesn't seem logical that it would cause cancer!

And if she brings up other lung damage, WebMD has the article you need!

Smoking Pot, Cigarettes Ups COPD Risk (news - 2009)
    [FONT=&quot]http://www.webmd.com/news/20090413/smoking-pot-cigarettes-ups-copd-risk[/FONT]

The endocannabinoid system and neurogenesis in health and disease. (abst - 2007)
    The endocannabinoid system and neurogenesis in hea... [Neuroscientist. 2007] - PubMed result

Chemical composition of the smoke?

Marijuana v.s. Tobacco smoke compositions (list - 1988)
    Marijuana v.s. Tobacco smoke compositions

Comparing cannabis with tobacco-again Link between cannabis and mortality is still not established (full - 2003)
    Comparing cannabis with tobacco

Cannabis and tobacco smoke are not equally carcinogenic (full - 2005)
    Cannabis and tobacco smoke are not equally carcinogenic

A Comparison of Mainstream and Sidestream Marijuana and
    Tobacco Cigarette Smoke Produced under Two Machine Smoking
    Conditions (full - 2007) (shows she was exaggerating a bit on the tar- yet somehow cannabis cuts lung cancer grow in half!)

http://www.ukcia.org/research/ComparisonOfSmoke.pdf

Hypothesizing that marijuana smokers are at a significantly lower risk of carcinogenicity relative to tobacco-non-marijuana smokers: evidenced based on statistical reevaluation of current literature. (full - 2008)
    http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Hypot...s+are+at+a+significantly+lower...-a0196052086

Hope that helps!

Granny :wave: