Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Does weed cause schizophrenia?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by GDP420, Dec 14, 2010.

1. PLEASE PLEASE let me know if this is true... ive read that there are many studies on this that weed is linked to schizophrenia.:confused:

2. Well, meth does. Hope that helps.

3. lmao..nah man it doesnt it doesnt have any crazt side effects like that..a little lung damange(from the smoke only) and a little memory loss and thats pretty much the biggest things it does

4. Schizophrenia is not caused by smoking weed. If you already have it, marijuana will make psychotic episodes worse (on account of the hallucinogenic effects of THC), but no, it will not cause schizophrenia to suddenly appear in normal, healthy individuals. I've heard that if you're predisposed to the condition, it may surface after heavy drug use, but I'm not positive.

5. almost anything in life can trigger someone into schizophrenia.... its not so much caused in most cases as it was dormant in your genes waiting for the time when you were mentally weak enough for it to dominate your phsychology.... My friend was diagnosed at a very young age, but never had any episodes, or any very obvious signs until his dog passed, and he got pretty out of control for a few months, then one day, he was back to normal.... Its one of those conditions that covers a wide array of effects and causes and has (compared to how it works) very little known about what the hell is actually going on... But for a shorter answer no, it wont cause it, it may make it worse/better if you are predetermined to have it, but you will not develope it from simply smoking cannabis.

6. Just don't do N-methyl-1-phenylpropan-2-amine n you'll be cool on the schizo thing...;)

7. Sirsog took the cake with this one.

I have heard that smoking pot will help the repressed schitzophrenic gene come out more or something like that, but I've never heard that getting baked straight up makes you schitzo.

8. Psychoactive, not hallucinogenic.

9. There is a correlation between cannabis use and schizophrenia.

However, there is a difference between a causation and a correlation. A correlation is where studies show that there are certain cannabis users that develop schizophrenia, but there is not a definite proof that cannabis use caused the schizophrenia.

Also, schizophrenia is a genetic condition, so it is largely dependent on your family's mental health history. If your family has a history of mental health/schizophrenia problems then environmental problems/factors such as strong alcohol use/other drug use could trigger schizophrenia.

Studies have shown that alcohol abuse is more likely to trigger schizophrenia than cannabis abuse. If you're genuinely worried though I suggest you check your family's mental health history.

10. I was under the impression that it was technically classified as a mild hallucinogen..I may be wrong though. But in all of my times smoking i've never experienced any visuals :confused_2:

11. I've heard anecdotal evidence of the hallucinogenic effect only, there are people who have got very high and claim to have had mild hallucinations so I guess it could be classed as a mild hallucinogenic.

Technically speaking though, it is only psychoactive, not hallucinogenic. I mean sobriety can make people see things that aren't there sometimes, so I guess maybe the brain itself is a hallucinogenic:p

12. Cannabis is a mild hallucinogen, I'm not disputing that. But when people talk about cannabis making schizophrenia worse, it's due to the psychoactive properties.

13. Ahh, i'm goin' crazy! When will this weed high end!

14. Schizos LOVE smoke for some reason, they're much more likely to smoke cigarettes than cannabis even. If anything, I think the correlation is more that a lot of schizos like weed. I mean, they've done studies where they take a large group of heavy cannabis smokers and monitor them, they have the same prevalence of schizophrenia/psychotic breaks as nonsmokers.

My cousin was schizophrenic, and was a heavy pot smoker for the years leading up to his diagnosis. His family always blamed drugs, specifically marijuana (they claimed he never EVER messed with any psychedelics or anything like that... even though this was the 60s/70s in California). It's cool though, they hate on weed and they're all alcoholics. :(

15. Weed won't give you any new psychological disabilities or conditions, it will however amplify the effects of any psychological condition such as schizophrenia. So chill out and toke up, it isn't going to make you crazy unless you already are.

16. Yea, now they are finding also on top of cannabinoid research, that drugs such as lsd and the like in VERY (and i mean fucking VERY VERY) small doses actually increase mental activity in a beneficial manner and can cause the reversal of many effects in psychological/mood/personality disorders.... funny that which can cause, in small amounts, can be that which is the cure

17. Studies have shown that people who suffer from "Schizophrenia" are more likely to smoke cannabis.
    However, Correlation does NOT equal causation.

18. everytime i hear that it reminds me of the architect in the matrix lol

visa vee....ergo.....the summation of the causality of the mind is..... that you all fucking LOSE lol

19. Hmm no man there's just one bad combination I know of.. Lots of weed, sleep deprivation and stress. In my experience the weed made me pretty loco but a t-break fixed it, sometimes you just need to do some clear thinking to sort things out you know.. Don't get caught in a rut were you'd rather smoke pot and do nothing instead of doing what you enjoy.