Does this forum really exist?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by esseff, Sep 20, 2011.

1. #1 esseff, Sep 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2011
    Seems to me that many people come on here and say what they think they know. Being able to not just have an opinion, but give it, regardless of what it is, without anyone having a say in it, about anything they feel like saying, without having to take any responsibility for how it's taken, is a very detached, yet addictive thing to do. But does this addictive quality allow enough space to actually find something out - to explore an idea without forming conclusions, on what is a philosophy forum after all?

Aside from people taking things too personally, or getting offended easily, many are quick to judge, condemn, attack, or react to, something that's said, than take some time to discover something that perhaps they didn't know.

We know that people don't read posts properly. We know they also misunderstand what they do read. Is this due to feeling they just want to get speaking as quickly as possible? Telling us what they know. How knowledgable and informed they are. Like having a conversation, and before the other has finished speaking, interrupt and start telling them what they think? This does seem a very surreal and egotistic activity.

Is it right to see this place as some kind of community, comprised of real people? We all hide behind aliases. We're free to be anything we want to be here. Is it real? Does this forum really exist?

• Like Like x 1
  2. i really hope this place exists.....cus if not...thats just another reason to think maybe none of this is real and i am still tied to the bed someplace.....hard enough convincing myself thats not the case somedays as it is already.......

but you are right....people treat you differently when they dont ever have to look you in the eye

;):smoke:

3. #3 DBV, Sep 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2011
    It's as real as your awareness is. I consider life to be VERY real.. more real than any guess to an afterlife and what we assume happens afterwards, ya know?

I think people need to stop looking at reality as just in their heads and realise their heads are part of the external reality.. If reality didn't exist as far as the definition is concerned, we wouldn't have the word exist, let-alone a definition.

As for forums, I think it all depends on reading comprehension.. sometimes it's easier to understand someone irl. And I think the forum exists in a metaphysical sense.

• Like Like x 1
  4. #4 esseff, Sep 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2011
    Does the way many people behave on here allow enough space to really explore an idea philosophically?

Is this just a place where, on the whole, people come to say what they know, and feel good about themselves doing it?

5. i'm sorry, i never decided whether the post exists which i am responding to.

should i be saying something right now?

6. #6 esseff, Sep 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2011
    Better not - not until you're sure. :smoke:

7. If we didnt come here to talk ( what we know) we wouldn't have registered in the first place. If we came to learn we would be silent observers.

8. It's real. I believe anything that's experienced is real. Dreams included. I don't think it's so much the reason people write the things they write here as much as it is the information being shared. The information is very real, and it should be taken however you wanna take it to add to your arsenal.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Just a place to say your perspective to me....and hear others....it has led to many good/edifying tangents on the innernetz for which Im interested

• Like Like x 1

10. What makes you think what you just said is real? Is what I am saying right now real? If so, why?

11. Absolutely, although you described a decent amount of users, I'm sure many others approach the philosophy forum through different eyes. I read more than post here =p

12. I think you are all offshoots of my own consciousness. It's kinda like a game. You guys say all these things, and have these conversations, and there are all these roles that you guys play, as if you are different people with identities etc., but really you're just aspects of my consciousness playing this game. :smoke:

13. but the consciousness is all connected and ever complex. Not only are we one big consciousness in the end, but we each think we are a separate complex. Like one of those math fractals, the whole thing is the same thing as wat its made up of.

14. It exists in the sense we acknowledge it exists. It is all that it is all ready.

15. I know I come with an open mind. I've already learned tons from this forum, and a few of the things I've learned have changed some of my views.

16. yeah i've felt the same way. like i have split personalities and they're all members here.

• Like Like x 1

17. Haha I liked that one. But yeah, I definitely think there's enough space here to explore a philosophical question at great length and with great rigor. I think it's mostly about connecting with those members who are keen on having lengthy philosophical discussions. For the record, I'm one of those members :)