Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Does strains really matter?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by iTree, Aug 31, 2012.

1. #1 iTree, Aug 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2012
    Honestly at first i was a noobie who only cared about those "top 10 strains."
    If a dealer didn't know the strain or if the strain is some unknown, i wouldn't buy it simply because it wasn't a popular strain.

Come to realize, they're all the same shit. Obviously there is a difference in quality and how it was grown/genetics but are headies, headies?

I know some weed give you couchlock, giggles, etc. But if they're headies, is there a difference from other headies in terms of highness. (getting you higher)

Like...paying $60(thats the price of a slice where i live for top shelf) for a slice(3.5g) of a popular strain, og or puple kush, etc. Then getting 4.5g for $60 of unknown weed but still headies.

Will it be the same high or will the unknown one be getting you less high.

- Thing that confuses me is that, you dont know how well the weed was grown. So maybe the OG kush was grown poorly but still sell high while the unknown was grown nicely. My friend calls me an amateur because he told me he would sell me headies and hook me up and when i asked what strain he didn't know and i said nah im all set.

Please feel free to explain, this shit confuses me.

2. Usually when you get it from dealers, it isn't the strain they claim it is unless they get it from the grower. Sometimes they put names to mark up the price. Get the 4.5 of unknown :D

3. True but all my dealers are my good friends and they wouldn't lie to me, not to mention it smells like the strain and looks like it. I won't get ripped off but i just don't want to waste $60 for 4.5g and have it not get me that high. But i think i will get that 4.5.

BUT each strain has different amounts of THC in them and some are more potent so wouldn't it equal out the same? I would just have to smoke more of unknown.

Thats also a factor! So it all just mind fucks me when i think about it all XD

4. I have often wondered how much strains matter, when it comes to my vape anyway. I am interested to see some answers to both our theories.

5. I read a topic and it says strain names are bullshit so im curious wtf is the answer.

"Is this a real strain?
    Unless you're getting your medicine from a grower or from a dispensary, strain names are usually bullshit."

6. There is big difference with some breeds. But unknown isn't necessarily bad, it's just unknown. It could be better. Dealers round here say names as sales patter. very few smokers give a shit about breeds, they rarely have options anyway nor will they necessarily believe the grower about the name. he may not be lying as such, perhaps the person who he bought it off lied, or even the person before that, or the grower, or the person who provided the seeds... My point is you can never really know the breed unless you buy seeds from a reputable breeder and grow it yourself.

keep in mind that just because it has a name doesn't make it necessarily better than a cross breed. First crosses will often show greater vigor than either of their parents anyway

weed is weed round here and its all pretty much a set price, sometimes you get great weed, other tines it's shit but the price doesn't depict quality. I would never understand why someone would grow a low quality breed and then have to sell it at a reduced price because of this. Prices of seeds don't differ much between breeds of the same breeder so I would always opt for the "best"

7. Its down to the individual dude some just think weed is weed, others prefer to learn more about what they're buying. I mean it also depends on the type of high you want, taste, your intended method of using (eg) if you smoked alot of blunts/joints just get the 40 dollar headies. If you intend to use a pipe or do bong rips - which conserve more weed - theres no harm paying a bit more) personally i tend to avoid cheeses and stick to haze. However the white widow we get round here is insane. Mind you in england we pay for the weight not the strain - its more the case of who you know round here - like an eighth of schwag (which one dealer would sell) would cost the same as an eighth of white widow or OG kush etc. Strains only really apply for dispensaries if im honest - at least then your certain it's legit. Hope that helped

8. Strain names are irrelevant unless you get it from the grower or a dispensary. A dealer could tell you anything and it wouldn't matter because there is no way to prove him right or wrong.

And what's the difference anyway? Unless you're getting it from a dispensary or know the grower and have the luxury of choosing, don't worry about it. In the end we're all getting high :smoke:

9. As a smoker for 15 years at first I never cared about strains but now I am fussy I only smoke certain sativas through the day and certain indicas at night I think its an age thing but I smoke for medical purposes first and the high is just a pleasant side effect.

If a dealer just makes a strain name up for his weed its pretty obvious from smoking it aint the real deal once you have tried the real deal of course.

10. #10 iTree, Aug 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2012
    I appreciate all the answers but in your opinion would you rather buy $60 4.5g of unknown headies or $60 for 3.5g of "good shit".

Actually come to think of it... i might be able to get $50 for 4.5g of unknown.

*He said he gets an ounce for $270-280 some shit like that from his dealer, and that he can get it cheap from his dealer. But why would any dealer sell low price if its good shit? Get it...thats whats confusing, if its dank shit, why sell it for low price then? Or give more for less?

11. All I care about is if it looks/smells dank, and if its an indica/sativa/hybrid

12. You do realize there are more than one dealer, dispensary, etc? People have to compete with others. They will sell "dank" shit for lower because that means people will buy it. I don't see what you don't understand.

13. Most likely the more expensive bag will be be better.

14. I never know what strain i'm smoking.

15. Kind of the "taste" and "creaminess" when you toke. But it mostly depends if it's a Indica or Sativa.

For example Bubba Kush is really creamy for me compared to say Hogs breath.

16. does strain really matter?
    Different strains can have different effects, so in a sense yes.
    but if its good weed who cares

17. ^ That's true. If it's good bud, no need for names. It's definitely not a necessity, but it's nice to know.

18. Different strains have varied taste, effect and potency. If it matters or not really depends on you. I like having different strains to choose from personally. Sure it all gets you baked.

Using price in the equation tends to skew opinion. If it was all free, named strains or general dank then just about everyone would pick their preferred strains rather than just getting something from the grab bag.

19. Yeah, strains really mean nothing to me, unless its from a particular dispensary, but even then I could care less, just a way to make it more pricey. In my teenage years I thought it was a big deal...gosh i remember when chronic was what everyone said....then dro......now kush......which are just general descriptions....but its just a popularity contest I feel...all about how it smokes.

20. it depends, I've had bubba kush that wasn't flushed properly and burnt black and tasted horribly. literally I gagged on it. On the other hand I've had sour diesel or green crack that has a nice flavor to it