Does smoking weed really affect your lungs?

Discussion in 'General' started by phil821, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Me and my stoner friend were talking about the effect smoking weed has on your lungs. We both get lifted basically everyday of the week, but I vape because Im on a health kick but he insists that smoking Weed doesn't do anything bad to the lungs. I used to smoke weed fairly regularly and remember it making my lungs sore and shit so I was convinced it does but I've been poking around on google for a bit and apparently it doesn't. The studies I've read weren't really thorough though.

I guess I can ask people who only smoke weed because we all know what darts can do to the lungs. How do you guys feel about your lungs? Any changes since smoking? Surely there has to be some tar build up like how it builds up in the down stem of a b. Let me know :)

2. I don't think it benefits your lungs, so yeah. Vaporizing is good. I had a lung infection a few years back from bongin' it too much, wasn't fun.

3. i think inhaling any kind of smoke probably isnt good for you but there is a lot of factors that can change how it effects your lungs.. just like how you smoke how often you smoke.

as far as permanent damage idk really just depends i mean if your smoking everday 8 times a day for 30 years then ya id say your probably damaging your lungs. im sure its hard to really know because there are so many factors that can contribute to something like this so a study will never really be 100% correct id say if your worried about your lungs just keep vaping.

as for my personal experience ive never felt like ive damaged my lungs except maybe once but i cant be sure hust for about a two week period i would cough on my normal sized hits and it was a little harder to smoke but like i said there are so many things that could cause this you cant just say it was one thing.

hope this helps

4. It hurts your lungs about as much as taking a shit loosens your asshole.

5. marijuana smoke has sex with your lungs.

6. No one lives forever..........so fuck it, who cares.

7. It's by no means good for your lungs (I don't care what that one study that everyone always cites on here says), but it's better in the sense that it doesn't contain all the additives that are in cigarettes and whatnot.

8. i agree studies are corrupt and full of false info

9. you are inhaling hot smoke of a burning plant into your lungs. of course it affects them.

10. my dad is a smart guy and we have been talking about credibility in studies and he told me peer reviewed studies are better sources of info he just sent me this:

When you want to find good “peer reviewed articles” that have a higher degree of credibility this is how you search on google:

At the top of the Google page:
    Select “More”
    At the bottom of that drop down menu:
    Select “Even More”
    Scroll down to Specialized Search
    Select “Scholar”
    Deselect “include patents”
    Use the search window as normal

Don’t get frustrated, you may need to go through many pages to find what you are looking for

11. I personally find I have less cardio endurance when I've been smoking regularly, and plenty of athlete friends quit during their season for the same reason. No studies to back it up I suppose but this has been the personal experience for numerous people I know!

12. Yeah, I was about to post an article. I read this one that says smoking weed by itself without cigs or anything else can actually increase your lung capacity over time. It doesn't harm it thats for sure.

13. I feel no difference. Been tokin' every day since January. My two mile time has improved from 14:30 to 11:40 right now at best. I am the same height of 6'0 and weight of 165. Lungs feel strong as ever. MJ til I die.

14. Anyone who smokes for a period of time without doing cardiovascular activity will tell you that yes, it does affect your lungs to a greater extent than if you didn't.

But that depends on how you ingest/inhale it and a variety of other factors.