Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Does marijuana kill brain cells?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by jobobalo, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Okay, so like most of you, I was under the impression that marijuana doesn't kill brain cells, since that study involving monkeys was proved invalid. I've also heard it can interfere with brain development in people under 26, namely the prefrontal cortex and temporal lobes, both seem to be somewhat related to long-term planning and impulse control.

However, I recently talked to a counselor who claimed that *gasp* weed does in fact kill brain cells. His premise was that since the brain consists of mostly fat, that THC saturates it. With high exposure, THC could so totally saturate the fluid found near synapses that the neurons at that synapse would no longer be able to effectively communicate. With that lack of communication over long periods of time, the neurons would eventually shrivel up and die. It made sense, but my searching could neither confirm or deny this premise.

There's a lot of BS info on both sides of the fence, from the crazy DARE-type people saying on joint will get you addicted and kill brain cells, to the stereotypical stoner who tells you that "dude... it's not even a drug... it's just like... a plant... man". I just wanna know, what is it doing to my brain, straight up science, no BS? Is this killing brain cells premise true? Any other notable long term, irreverable effects on the brain?

Thanks if you can help, and sorry I'm sure this has been asked 500 times before and I couldn't find it.

2. Nah, it just kinda tickles them

• Like Like x 1
  3. #3 BlazedKoala, Dec 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Naw man :smoke:

5. dude... its just a plant mann

• Like Like x 1
  6. I am sure you will find studies that show both. Like with anything you bring into your body, you should do it responsibly. If it's a slight concern, don't smoke too much. And actually, don't smoke.. try edibles or vaping.

Everything in moderation, including MJ.

7. Dude, it's just a plant man

8. that's cool a bunch of you are saying no it doesn't, I really wanna believe. but if you're gonna say that, it'd be cool if you have some actual scientific stuff or links to back it up.

Koala, thanks for those links, that's exactly what I'm talking about.

9. So is foxglove and that shit will kill you.

• Like Like x 1
  10. IF it does, the number it kills isnt significant, i mean shit, sneezing kills brain cells....

Lots of shit kills braincells.... just not enough to be an issue

it also promotes the growth of them (as stated above)

• Like Like x 1

11. ya mannn wut u said

12. Not to mention that the myth of brain cells not growing back is untrue. Brain cells grow back, all of your cells grow back, in fact, you have a brand new body every 7~ years.

13. Does Marijuana Damage Brain Cells?

Marijuana Health Mythology

Scroll down to "Does marijuana kill brain cells".

• Like Like x 1

14. Lol Ricin is directly taken from castor beans, that shit will kill you in the SMALLEST of quantities

tobacco is also a plant

plants are not safe in all senses of the use of them

15. A brand new body every 7 years, huh? lol

Bone mass for one is something that begin to deteriorate after about the age of 30. It never comes back.

16. Smoking a lot of weed for sure kills brain cells. I can tell because my short term memory has gotten worst and it's harder to remember things in my past. I had a counselor show me a video that when monkeys smoked a joint a day for some time, they would remove a piece of there brain and under a microscope they would inspect them and the walls between brain cells became thicker slowing the time It takes for them to learn or remember something

17. The reason tobaccos bad is because they add so much shit to it.

18. You cant remember stuff from how long ago? Weed doesnt hurt long term memory. When your high you have short term momory loss though IMO. I always forget where i put my shit when high lol.

19. nicotine is fucking horrible for you, and is not added to the plant, it occurs naturally.

you could grow the most natural additive free tobacco in the land, its still just going to end up slowly killing you (i smoke cigs, so im not just on an anti tobacco rant hahahahah )

20. Just a side note - being lazy sure does