Does marijuana do permanent damage to GABA-A receptors?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by cmusba, Feb 14, 2017.

1. #1 cmusba, Feb 14, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    So when THC* enters your body and eventually your brain, it blocks the GABA receptors which are responsible for inhibiting dopamine neurotransmitters. However an oversupressed GABA can lead to seizures, schizophrenia and withdrawals.

So as my question states in the title, does heavy and/or frequent abuse of marijuana cuase permanent damage to GABA?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. It's hard to say I haven't really spoken to GABA in a while....Last time we spoke it was over dinner and GABA wanted me to pay the bill, but I wanted to split since we were no longer in a relationship. together... Needless to say I ended up paying for the check and we haven't spoken since. Shame too. We were really good together....( sigh) ,but life goes on.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
  3. Pls stop

4. Just playing. No more I promise.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I've read both yes to your question as well as no. It will be interesting to see what others say.

6. What measurement determines when GABA receptors become oversuppressed? Is that a word..

7. When GABA receptors become oversuppressed you cease to function as a human being. THC and CBD work hand in hand to tickle GABA and GAMA so they don't feel lonely.
    To answer your question if marijuana does permanent damage to GABA-A receptor,
    Only if GAMA-B isn't happy with the new regime in town.
    hope this helps.

8. Well do you want my personal opinion?

Here's some thoughts on the subject. Delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol is a full agonist at CB1 receptors on GABA neuron axon terminals in the hippocampus. - PubMed - NCBI

Effects of chronic delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) administration on neurotransmitter concentrations and receptor binding in the rat brain. - PubMed - NCBI

Also whether you realise or not. Your asking 2 different questions. Oversupression -overdose. Overdose does not = permanent damage.

And third is the permanence..

Anyway

• Like Like x 2
  9. [​IMG]

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Everything in moderation, including moderation.

Also, I think its THC, not TCH.

10. #10 Heywoon, Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    THC/Cannabinoids work on CB1 receptors and inhibit intracellular cAMP production and Ca2+/k+ channels. There's also a natural ligand/chemical/(endo)cannabinoid called Anandamide.

This study does say there's a downregulation of GABA receptors.

"...Prolonged treatment with the cannabinamimetic WIN 55,212-2 (+WIN, 1 μM, 24 h) caused profound CB1 receptor downregulation accompanied by neuronal hyperexcitability. Furthermore, prolonged +WIN treatment resulted in increased GABA release as indicated by increased mIPSC frequency, a diminished GABAergic inhibition as indicated by reduction in mIPSC amplitude and a reduction in GABA(A) channel number. Additionally, surface staining for the GABA(A) β(2/3) receptor subunits was decreased, while no changes in staining for the presynaptic vesicular GABA transporter were observed, indicating that GABAergic terminals remained intact. These findings demonstrate that agonist-induced downregulation of the CB1 receptor in hippocampal cultures results in neuronal hyperexcitability that may be attributed, in part, to alterations in both presynaptic GABA release mechanisms and postsynaptic GABA(A) receptor function demonstrating a novel role for cannabinoid-dependent presynaptic control of neuronal transmission."
    Prolonged cannabinoid exposure alters GABA(A) receptor mediated synaptic function in cultured hippocampal neurons. - PubMed - NCBI

• Like Like x 1
  11. #11 Quantary, Mar 2, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    I don't have a scientific background, but the abstract says in part, "Here we employed electrophysiological and immunochemical techniques to investigate the effects of prolonged CB1 receptor agonist exposure on cultured hippocampal neurons. Approximately 60% of CB1 receptors colocalize to GABAergic terminals in hippocampal cultures. Prolonged treatment with the cannabinamimetic WIN 55,212-2 (+WIN, 1 μM, 24 h) caused profound CB1 receptor downregulation accompanied by neuronal hyperexcitability..."

The study tested cultured neurons with chemicals that mimicked the effects of cannabis, so it doesn't convince me that it's going to damage the actual brains of users. That being said, I don't think marijuana is good for every person, but this study doesn't sway me one way or the other.

• Like Like x 3
  12. More important a question would be whether the blocking or oversupressing of the GABA receptors results in illness (whether physiological or psychological) in people. Is there any evidence to suggest this is causing us harm? I have read a lot in the scientific literature about cannabis, but have never come across a study that has found such a link.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Abuse anything and it will damage you. I don't believe in permanent because there are medicine out there like cannabis itself that can repair damaged brain-cells but like other medicine if not used respectfully as medicine it it most definitely can.

The less i partake in getting high the better the high and experience, if you smoke every day you are going to witness negatives because its medicine and you will notice lack of many things as your body will start to rely on it that is why you stop dreaming and withdrawals appear and many other symptoms.

Micro-dosing medicine is far more effective if you need it daily to prevent these damages to the body.

• Like Like x 2
  14. thanks for the input depth answer.
    My doubts have been put to rest

Sent from my SM-N920T using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  15. No they don't. The most interesting physiological fact that endocannabinoid receptors is the amount of regulatory pathways involved. In the future, avoid studies who try to quantify down-regulation mediated by cannabis using electrical probes. The fact that these receptors are classified as GCPR sitting within the CNS is why its so incredibly difficult to find the exact mechanisms by which these receptors operate on. Watch this video, start at 32:20. It might help to learn about the LTP system of NMDA and AMPA modulation beforehand to really get a grasp on how complex CB1 & 2 really is.

16. GABA is with SWIM lol

Sorry, couldn't resist. How can THC cause seisures and scitzophrenia?

17. I was under the impression that it could not cause damage except on an under developed brain (say under 25yrs old).

18. Even past 25 until extremely old (unless you have Alzheimer's Disease, but you have a wide array of other Neuro-chemical problems ahead) would they be damaged permanently.

19. Cannabis does no harm to humans.

What does money do?

• Like Like x 2
  20. Everything can harm you in some way or another so let's not do anything because I'm really looking to get out of this life alive.

• Like Like x 1