Does marijuana cause depression??

Discussion in 'General' started by xsubxwooferx, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Today is the first day in about month and 3 weeks of smoking everyday...sometimes all day...and I feel like shit or like all the girls hate me or something and that I need to smoke to feel better?

2. marijuana is classified as a DEPRESSANT and smoking weed everyday will make you a little dull if thats all you've been basing your day on..moderation is the key to everything..i smoke everyday, throughout, if im not doing anything i will doze off..depression is a state of mind when referring to marijuana..so..make sure you are in a happy, friendly, or peaceful environment, take your time inhaling and exhaling, control your breathing, and once you're high occupy yourself..do something constructive with your time and you will be fine..this might just be boredom you are feeling..i have experience..and try to think positive at all times!

• Like Like x 2
  3. boredom is prob it....cause its been over month since i have been bored lol cause of pot....but yeah i feel like shit like life sucks right now.

4. I know what you mean bro.

I've been feeling a little down lately too.

5. If you smoke constantly, wake and bake and what not, it can lead to amotivational syndrome, which is kind of like apathy and boredom rolled up with mild depression. After a while it can become a cyclical thing. You smoke to stop feeling like shit, but then you end up even more unmotivated and bored, so you smoke even more, and just sink into it deeper.

I've got depressive issues myself and I've gone through it a time or two. Best thing is to either take a break for a couple days, or get some sun which will force your brain to produce serotonin and counteract the depressive effect.

6. I don't think it causes depression, but it can make your depression worse. You'll be unmotivated to try and fix the cause of your depression, thinking a bowl might cheer you up, but you're really just prolonging your depression.

7. hold on, what? i've heard of it curing depression. i guess it would depend on the individual, but i know quite a few people that were depressed and even cut. then they smoked weed and haven't cut since. actually myself included. i would say the amotivational syndrome is right on. you might feel a little down when you don't smoke, especially at first, but not depressed. over time this will even stop and you'll go through a sober day like normal

8. it all depends on how you handle it. I'm diagnosed manic depressive and so yes, marijuana does make me feel like a Debby Downer sometimes, but your mind is a crazy thing... a lot of it is strictly mental.
    get out, get some sunshine, & re-evaluate the problems in your life. and if you're still feeling down, maybe take a day or two break and see if you're still feeling it.
    also, you might try taking some 5-HTP and seeing if natural remedies don't cure it.

9. god damn cuttin is so stupid....drama queens....sorry i just dont get it i've been legitimatley depressed for a loooonngg time. im just now getting over it. i've never thought about cutting myself, it just seems like a cry for attention.

i know this girl kim who's ex boyfriend cried and cut himself when she broke up with him, which in turn made her upset. it was a big ball of emo

fuckin highschool kids...

10. first of all depressant refers to slowing down bodily activities, NOT mind status. By this i mean slower heart rate, lower blood pressure, slower reaction timing etc etc. These are all the effects of ALCOHOL since alcohol is classified as a depressant.

marijuana is a mixture of stimulant, depressant, hallucinogen, and anti psychotic, leaning mostly towards a hallucinogen. (cite: wikipedia, meaning other citations are on wikipedia).

it's immediate effects though can cause being lethargic, lazy, dull, boring, but also energetic and funny. if everyone hates you high, why be high? hahaha. just t-break for a month and see if anything changes. or you oculd just ask why everyone is hatin on you and shit.

11. I am a 37 yr old woman- I never smoked in my life up until about 6 months ago. I liked it, I felt great. about a month ago I was feeling great, I had a night at home alone so I decided to have a glass of wine and smoke a little. So I watched the hangover and thought it was hysterical of course i was high.

Then, about an hour later, like a switch, I snapped. I got really paranoid, accused my SO of cheating ( no evidence btw) and since then have been so depressed I can't stop crying. I am on an anti depressant and have been for over 2 years. Now I am taking another drug on top of that to try to get back to where I was before I smoked that night. I don't know what it was, but I attribute it to the smoking that night and probably won't do it again.

12. anything can cause depression and drugs are definate causes. It all depends on how your brain works.

13. Yeah, I generally agree with what people are saying. It may be boredom. Also, depression can be caused by a lot of things, and while marijuana use might contribute, other things may be the major factors. But, it's different for everybody!

Hope things start looking up for you:eek:

14. I usually feel very optimistic after smoking but thats just me.

15. I had smoked a few times before and had never gotten this reaction--- I am bummed about not smoking again (for a long time anyway) ....but I don't think its a good idea to do it again, when I am still trying to be normal...of course who knows if I ever was!

16. Yes lately it has made me depressed, that is why I am selling my stash to my friends at a discount and just being sober for a couple months. Hopefully when I smoke again I can get back to the 'good times' and if I can't I guess its just not for me anymore....kind of sad I was just writing how I wouldn't stop anytime soon now I'm quitting.

17. I had a "relapse" and smoked yesterday before all my work was done.

All I can say is, not smoking for a week... and uh, it gets you pretty high. But I didn't like it - I got too baked.

It's rather funny, but now I know I don't even want to toke during the day. Only at night, where my bed is a few feet away.

OP, smoking every day will probably cause depression. I think it did for me. I feel a lot better now, since I've only smoked a couple of times... moderation I believe, is the key.

18. i always am happy when smoking. if something good happens, i get really really happy. if something bad happens, i figure out ways to fix it. either way it uplifts my mood.

19. Sometimes, I just get so bored I have to get high, and im bored alot.

20. That may have been attributed to mixing alcohol and weed. I know the first time I was crunk it was a great feeling, but I felt like shit for the next 2 days. worse than a hangover. I don't really know what a hangover is like though as I have only gotten drunk 3 times in my life and it takes a lot for me too feel anything. At least 3 mixed drinks. That is why I smoke. Of course I smoked way before I ever tried alcohol. Neither of which are legal as I am 19