Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Does Holding Smoke in Really Get You Higher?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by mlrock, Mar 24, 2011.

1. I know someone who thinks you need to hold it in for 30 seconds, or else you're wasting the hit. 5 seconds suffices.

2. How about a little science? Starting with some oldies....

Breathhold duration and response to marijuana smoke. (abst - 1989)
    Breathhold duration and response to marijuana smok... [Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 1989] - PubMed result

Marijuana Smoking: Factors That Influence the Bioavailability of Tetrahydrocannabinol (full - 1990)
    [FONT=&quot]http://www.ukcia.org/research/FactorsThatInfluenceBioavailability.pdf[/FONT]

Response to marijuana as a function of potency and breathhold duration
    (abst - 1991)
    Response to marijuana as a function of potency and... [Psychopharmacology (Berl). 1991] - PubMed result

Marijuana smoking: effect of varying delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol content and number of puffs. (abst - 1992)
    [FONT=&quot]Marijuana smoking: effect of varying delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol content and number of puffs.

[/FONT] Marijuana smoking: effects of varying puff volume and breathhold duration.
    (abst - 1995)
    Marijuana smoking: effects of varying puff volume ... [J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1995] - PubMed result

Effects of Varying Marijuana Potency on Deposition of Tar and D 9 -THC in the
    Lung During Smoking (full - 1997)
    http://www.ukcia.org/research/EffectsOfVaryingMarijuanaPotency.pdf

Quantification and comparison of marijuana smoking practices: Blunts, joints, and pipes (abst - 2010)
    ScienceDirect - Drug and Alcohol Dependence : Quantification and comparison of marijuana smoking practices: Blunts, joints, and pipes

There's more if you click that first link in my sig and scroll down to "Methods of Use- Smoking". Got all sorts of interesting stuff to read! Educate yourself!

Granny :wave:

3. I'm not trying to be "that guy" but how can you say "It's been scientifically proven" without posting a link?

*that guy*

4. I use a simple method to time my inhales.

Take hit
    Slam Beer or do a shot
    Exhale

At least once :)

5. Yes, it takes a minimum of 10-11 seconds for a good amount THC to diffuse across to the blood capillaries in the alveoli.But, holding the smoke in longer leads to the settling of tar on the alveoli surface.

If you are smoking from a bong or a water pipe, hold it in for as long as you can, because it filters out most of the carcinogens.But, from a joint or a blunt not more than 10 seconds.
    Happy tokin' !!
    :smoke:

No it dosent. :|