Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Does holding it in get you higher?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by ITNinja, Dec 14, 2009.

1. I know alot of stoners hold their smoke, But I could have sworn I saw a study showing that THC is infused into your system near immediately after inhaling. But most smokers swear by holding the smoke in? I have no idea haha

Thanks guys

2. Your body can only intake so much THC without more oxygen, meaning no matter how long you hold it in, the same amount will still be absorbed.

3. ^^
    He actually said it correctly. 2secs is all you need to do. If smoking a glass piece.

1sec if you smoking a joint/blunt.

All holding your hit in does is deprive a small amount of oxygen to the brain. Making you feel light headed.

4. Lol, then I've spent the first 10 months of my smoking life holding hits in for over 10 seconds, awesome :p

Glad I poked into this thread.

5. Can someone show me some scientific facts about what these guys are saying, i mean CMON, I HAVE BEEN HOLDING THE FUCKING SMOKE ALL MY LIFE 4 6 SECONDS,AND NOW I SEE THIS!!!, i wanna cry hahaha

no but seriously, throw some links proving this. :wave:

6. I always figured that the THC took time to be absorbed into your lungs. Isn't that the whole point around hotboxing? You breathe out the smoke, and sit and breathe that in over and over absorbing all of the THC in your lungs. If you got all of the THC out in 2 seconds of holding it in, hotboxing wouldn't do anything at all, whatsoever.

7. Its common sense.

Like a cigarette. Do you hold the drag in for 4-6 seconds.
    No you exhale 1sec after.

same with weed. Your lungs absorb THC once you start inhaling. Its not like it takes 4 secs for it to start absorbing.

same with breathing. Do you hold your breath in after every breath no. Its really pointless to hold any hit in longer then max 2-3secs.

Nothing more is pointless and the lungs need to release the carbon dioxide from the body.
    If you went to school you would of learned how the lungs work.

8. Idk I always feel like I get more stoned if I hold each hit in for awhile. I can get high on far less weed, put some links up like the other guy said

9. Duckyx, can you explain my above post then? Thanks.

10. No, hotboxing would be essentially the same thing as sitting in a burning room...smoke inhalation depriving your brain of oxygen, making you lightheaded, which makes some people think they are higher. Hotboxing does some good though because you can inhale the smoke that was never inhaled (stuff that just burned off the end of a lit joint/blunt) and still has lots of THC in it.

11. Oh alright, thanks, didn't even think about the smoke that wasn't inhaled.

12. Like most said above, it only akes about 3 seconds for the THC to absorb into your system. Holding it it only makes you feel light headed.

13. Why would smoking out of a glass piece vs a joint/blunt have any difference on how long you should hold your smoke in?

Cool sig btw :wave::smoking:

14. really...3 seconds...not 2.875 seconds, not 3.125 seconds but 3 seconds on the dot....

15. Yup its true. I usually take a quick breath of air after my toke to make sure all the smoke gets to my lungs, but after that holding the smoke in just sucks.

I can't even hold my hits in longer than like 4 seconds because the smoke gets stale in your lungs and chokes you out:D

16. dude, 3- 5 seconds, MAX. any more and your just killing your brain cells, your lungs. thc is absorbed mad fast, ghosting is for idiots who dont understand how thc is absorbed.

17. I was taught that each time your heart beat while you were holding the smoke in your lungs, more of the THC is carried through your system. I have a hard time believing that two seconds is enough to get every single bit of THC out.

But in the end, we all smoke and we all get high, so any way you look at it, things work out OK.:smoking:

18. QFT. But for me no more then 5sec.

19. plz post a link, i still have a hard time believing this