Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Does holding in tokes get you higher?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by StaySeized, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Every time I smoke I hold the smoke in my lungs for a while before I exhale. But I herd that thc is absorbed into your system within seconds. So. . . Does this mean I'm just wasting my time and damaging my lungs by holding in my smoke??

#forrerealdoe

2. Yes. You feel an initial "highness" due to a slight oxygen deprivation. The cannabinoids are absorbed immediately, so more than a quick inhale and exhale is just asphyxia.

3. don't hold it too long, lol. but I've heard it gets you higher faster and that breathing out of your nose does too. I don't know for sure though.

4. [quote name='StaySeized']Every time I smoke I hold the smoke in my lungs for a while before I exhale. But I herd that thc is absorbed into your system within seconds. So. . . Does this mean I'm just wasting my time and damaging my lungs by holding in my smoke??

#forrerealdoe[/QUO
    i take a hit, take a good breath in to get the smoke deep in my lungs, hold for 2-4 seconds, exhale. I hold 4 seconds on the first hit since thats where you get most thc and 2 seconds when its black

5. Actually holding your toke for as long as you can will increase your lung capacity. You aren't damaging your lungs at all by doing this. And I wouldn't say holding your breath as long as youcan is a waste of time either.

6. It does NOT get you higher. Like poppybgood said, the cannabinoids are absorbed almost instantly. Holding in a hit more than 3-4 seconds is pointless.

7. Yeah I heard that your brain has to be deprived of oxygen for several minutes to cause any real damage and that damage is still reversible. So holding your breath for a little while won't hurt you any. :)

8. So next time you smoke take a hit, inhale as much air as youcan. Then suck in little wisps of air until you can't anymore. Hold that for three seconds than exhale. This will increase your lung capacity and it'll do it fairly quick too. This is a vocal technique I use to increase how long I can belt out a note.

9. no it doesn't your just taking in more bad shit from the smoke thc is absorbed into lungs in 1 second

10. Contrary to what everybody else in this thread said, yes, holding in your hits will get you significantly higher. The THC is absorbed at the same rate as other toxins in the smoke, be it CO2, CO, various carcinogens, small particles, etc. It does not make medical sense for it to absorb faster than the smaller CO2, O2, CO, cbd-a, since THC is a pretty large molecule, bigger than all of those. I like to hold my hits in because I get higher off of less tokes, and I figure that the less times hot smoke has to enter my lungs, the better, even if the total time is the same. Also, think about something like crack cocaine. People hold that for like 2 seconds and get fucked, what if they held it for 30? Of course, after a certain point everything that can be absorbed will be absorbed, but it's significantly longer than just a few seconds.

11. %100 bullshit. Holding hits get you much higher.

4 good hold hits >>>>> 8 hits with a quick exhale.

12. I heard 6 seconds is the magic number.

13. nah youre all wrong sorry its not true whatever youve been told is misinformation

14. #14 Swaggrrr, Oct 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2012
    It anything over 15 seconds really does nothing. Holding in the hit won't be harmful to you unless its for several minutes and then you're just depriving your brain of oxygen.

How Long Should You Hold Your Hit In While Smoking Marijuana?

Marijuana Inhalation Nation: How Long Should You Hold that Hit? | BigBuds Magazine - Your one source for growing medical marijuana

Quote from second link: "The latest research on THC absorption indicates that holding in your marijuana hit from seven to eleven seconds gives your lungs the optimal amount of time to absorb as much THC as possible, without coating your lungs with particulates or depriving yourself of oxygen." This evidence is backed up by the first link.

If you are unsure its great to ask a group of smokers but also do your own research.

15. You shouldn't even be toking if you cant hold it for at least 2 minutes man.

16. Yes, it's a waste of time and brain cells.

#HashTagsDon'tWorkOnGC

17. definitely does get you higher when you hold your hits in, your body has more time to absorb the thc when you hold it in...

18. I hold it in for a few seconds. Sometimes I just like holding in the smoke.

19. [quote name='"TheTruthIsrael"']Contrary to what everybody else in this thread said, yes, holding in your hits will get you significantly higher. The THC is absorbed at the same rate as other toxins in the smoke, be it CO2, CO, various carcinogens, small particles, etc. It does not make medical sense for it to absorb faster than the smaller CO2, O2, CO, cbd-a, since THC is a pretty large molecule, bigger than all of those. I like to hold my hits in because I get higher off of less tokes, and I figure that the less times hot smoke has to enter my lungs, the better, even if the total time is the same. Also, think about something like crack cocaine. People hold that for like 2 seconds and get fucked, what if they held it for 30? Of course, after a certain point everything that can be absorbed will be absorbed, but it's significantly longer than just a few seconds.[/quote]

Don't talk of unmentionables. I am indifferent to that nonsense. Chief bud get money. And I think the quick inhale technique is most effective because I accept that thc is absorbed almost instantly.

20. I hold every hit until I pass out. Wake up and repeat