Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Does holding in smoke make you higher ?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by crabbag3, Oct 21, 2013.

1. As I'm sure many people have heard 'Holding in smoke makes you notably higher' whether this be a joint, pipe or a bong its all supposed to make you higher.
    Research has showed that holding in the smoke does not make you higher, it just hurts your lungs and leads to more harmful chemicals being absorbed than normally breathing. 

So what do you think? Can someone confirm or deny this for me.

2. #2 TheAnswer121, Oct 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2013
    no. it only creates tar buildup. thc is absorbed within seconds of being inhaled. that feeling of being higher is from lack of oxygen.

/\\ /\\ This... :hide:

Not that I don't believe you, but can you post some sources? Sounds interesting.

5. ..It wouldnt feel right holding it in for under 6 seconds. 6 seconds is what I was always taught. 

6. I've heard that 95%\tif the thc is absorbed within three seconds. Any more than that and you are just letting ash settle in your lungs. Smoking for six years strong and I'd have to say that's pretty accurate.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. it's part common knowledge, part common sense.

8. idk ive always held smoke in 3-8 seconds, works for me

9. Yeah just a couple seconds is all you need because if you hold it for longer its harmful....but if you vape you might as well hold it as long as you'd like right?

10. Doesn't even need to be held in tbh, I hit the bong, take a quick inhale of fresh air as I pull away from clearing it, shut my mouth, open it and exhale. Works every time and stresses my lungs way less.

I always think people look like fucking tools trying to ghost hits and shit. So pointless.

11. #11 Storm Crow, Oct 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2013
    The medical facts as provided by PubMed and "Granny Storm Crow's List"! (see the bottom of my sig to get your free copy of the List!)

Breathhold duration and response to marijuana smoke.       (abst - 1989)
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2554344?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.Pubmed_Discovery_RA&linkpos=2&log$=relatedarticles&logdbfrom=pubmed

"Typical marijuana effects (increased heart rate, increased ratings of "high" and impaired memory performance) were observed under each of the breathhold conditions, but there was little evidence that response to marijuana was a function of breathhold duration."

Response to marijuana as a function of potency and breathhold duration        (abst - 1991)
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2027922?ordinalpos=1&
    itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.Pubmed_Discovery_RA&linkpos=1&log$=relatedarticles&logdbfrom=pubmed

"The results confirm previous findings that prolonged breathholding does not substantially enhance the effects of inhaled marijuana smoke."

Nor does "clamping down" make the THC enter your system any faster, and it can be dangerous!   :eek:

“Usual" cannabis abuse producing an unusual incident        (abst – 2007)    
    (The "Valsalva maneuver" is performed by attempting to forcibly exhale while keeping the mouth and nose closed.  Don't do it!)         http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17342632
    \nCASE HISTORY:
    "A 17-year-old male presented in an agitated, deranged state with rapidly increasing swelling of the neck. Except for regular abuse of cannabis there was no medical history of note. He had a sinus tachycardia (130 bpm), a slow pupillary reflex, bilateral hyposphagma and subcutaneous emphysema around the neck and shoulders.
    INVESTIGATIONS AND DIAGNOSIS:
    Laboratory tests showed elevated inflammatory markers. The chest X-ray demonstrated a bilateral pneumothorax and large subcutaneous emphysema. Subsequent computed tomography of neck and thorax showed an extensive pneumomediastinum and the described subcutaneous emphysema. There was no evidence of a ruptured trachea or esophageal perforation. The underlying cause was presumed to have been a Valsalva maneuver during marijuana smoking."

(He recovered just fine, and stopped using the Valsalva maneuver.)

Granny

No.

THC gets absorbed by your body mega fast.

Holding your hits for any more than , say a good few seconds - is starving your brain of oxygen. Which makes you dizzy 

13. If you're holding in smoker longer than 5 seconds you're an idiot.

14. i read somwhere that it only takes about 3 seconds to absorb 95 percent of the thc.

15. No, but it will cut off oxygen to the brain which will in turn make one feel higher.

16. Only the cool kids can hold it in until the smoke has gone.

17. Wow, I'm actually "ghosting" all my joints and I roll with tobacco... I didn't even know a term existed. I feel like the village idiot now - fucking nicotine is the most addictive shit ever.

18. You are only the village idiot if you keep on doing it after reading that!  :laughing:

Granny

19. I'd only for 5 seconds bro. Don't wanna kill braincells

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

20. I feel like I have a cleaner more enjoyable high when I only hold it in for about 1 or 2 seconds