Does getting marijuana legalization on ballot push public opinion even if it fails?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by cripinblood, Sep 15, 2012.

1. If the marijuana legalizers spend millions of their own money trying to get enough signitures to legalize marijuana on the ballot for the voters. They spend all that money on advertising to try and convince people to vote for it. It gets to a few state ballots and they all lose on election day. Is that a victory in any way just cause it got to the ballot or is it a failure that it didnt pass? Does getting on the ballot push public opinion towards it or does public opinion turn further away if it failed?

3 states, Colorado, Washington and Oregon have full legalization on the ballot. California had full legalization on the ballot in 2010 but it lost and this year California doesnt have any ballot initiatives for marijuana this year. If they all fail this year, will the political movement for this cause be any better off than before?

When prop 19 failed, they said this is a victory. They promised that in 2012 this year there would be another similar bill on the ballot in California and it didnt make it. In 2004 South Dakota had medical marijuana on the ballot. It lost by only a few percentage points (i think 48-52). Then they tried again in 2010 and this time it was a HUGE LANDSLIDE LOSS (33-66)!

So yes or no? I think NO. Winning is winning and losing is losing. If it loses, it loses harder next time if there is ever another chance.

2. Those who believe in the movement, do.

Those who don't, will always view this as the nonsensical ramblings of potheads...

...as they stand there, cigarette in one hand, drink in the other, struggling to open their super-size-me bottle of meds that their doctor said they "need"...:rolleyes:

The movement will gain steam through the death of ignorance, both mentally and physically.

The only problem is I fear every single one of us will be incarcerated by then with more and more draconian laws coming down to stop this "dangerous" movement to impede profits.

3. I think "YES"! Every time it comes up, it raises doubt in the average Joe's mind! They remember the DARE indoctrination they got in school, but then there is this crazy old lady (me) showing them actual medical studies that says DARE was totally wrong!

Even close vote, like California, brings home the idea that almost half of the voters supported legalization!

Every bit of doubt brings the average Joe closer to voting "YES"!

Part of the problem is that you kids let voting slide! Are you ALL registered to vote? If not, get 'er done! The deadline for registration is rapidly approaching! :eek: (The Post Office, Welfare, and Registrar of Voters Office have the forms you need.)

We just have to get everyone voting on this! :yay:

Marijuana Legalization Hits 56% Support in Rasmussen Poll | StoptheDrugWar.org

Granny :wave:

4. Winners never quit and quitters never win.......you sound like a quitter.

5. im not a quitter, thats why im never gna quit smoking LOOOOOOOOOOOOL

6. Even though its true california doesnt have one and yada yada yada, thats all politics, not public opinion. It DEFINITELY helps. Definitely. I can remember my freshman year (in nj) we were told how bad weed is. the typical propaganda and no mention of any sort of medical benefit, only weed is very bad and thats it.

but, by junior and senior year, that completely changed. Granted, we do have medical, but most people consider it a complete failure. Not one dispensary is up, and I dont even think cards have been issued ( 2 YEARS after it was passed) and yet in school it is now acknowledged. the arguemtn by that time was you shouldnt do it because you could get into trouble, college is right around the corner, theres random drug testing for sports and clubs. Nowhere to be found was the typical bullshit. And now just recently there has been debate about decriminlization in nj. Christie vetoed which blows, but the fact it was brought could still bring it in a new light. Who knows, (whether is decrimed or not) the argument for not smoking weed will simply be "its not responsible" or something and away from even the legal argument.

I hope that made sense.

7. Yes.... Progress is progress. Education starts with basic information. Most non-smokers of Mary Jane are ignorant about the real facts: Marijuana is not a Dangerous Drug, it's not a Gateway Drug, and it does have Medical Benefits. If getting it on the ballot, spurs discussion on just those three facts, we have won, even if the vote comes up short. Eventually the truth wins out......

8. I think YES

9. Whether the legislations pass or not, progress will still continue. The legalization/decriminalization, or just drug reform, has been growing everyday. You can't really stop it now. I'd give it 50 years max for some kind of legalization among majority of states, or even more.