does doubling the light source means doubling the harvest?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by NNorthernlight, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Hi GC... as in the title.... let's say I have 400 watts hps and I am used to certain results... if I add an extra light and get to 800 watts total, using my same routine (I guess extra care cooling down the room will be needed) should I expect a doubling in yield? :wave:

2. I believe it may increase your yield, but it surely won't double it. I'm no expert, though, this is just my common sense rambling. :smoke:

(I got here by clicking on New Posts.... just a bit lost) lol :rolleyes:

3. #3 RO76, Jan 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2012
    2 400W will cover bigger area than 1-400W, so you can grow more plants.
    Stronger light=bigger plants . Plant under 1000W HID will produce more than plant under 150W HID.
    Just compare grow journals with different HID lights....

4. thanks for the info but I had a different idea in mind... if I could get direct feedback from someone who doubled their light source it would be great info for me... I checked different journals in the past (I still do it every now and then) and of course bigger wattages give bigger yields.... the problem is that the data I gather is not comparable... many other factors like experience, strain etc play an important role too...... I would love to hear from a few people who switched from a certain potency and doubled it.... given the same strain, the same environmental conditions and especially the same grower then I would be able to get a sense of what can happen .... does it make sense?

5. So many factors are involved with increasing yields its not even funny. Nutes, organic, non organic, lights, pot size, and most importantly you.

The only way to really attempt is for you to try. For the most part on here money is a issue for everyone so most don't switch add this or that in a rapid fashion to get any accurate data.

Your best easiest bet is to get a bigger light and add more plants.

6. does throwing 93 octane get u double the mileage of 87?.. no but it will certainly help u get a lil more mileage and help keep ur engine running better

7. yep... the best is trying it out myself I know...it's just that in the past I bought things that turned out to be pretty useless.... I know doubling the light won't be useless but I was just trying to get an idea.... I guess everyone in the city has done stupid buys at some point or another.... I wish there was a stoners' ebay (maybe there is) so that we could recycle our mistakes... I'm pretty much set to get a new light anyway so.... fuck it, i'll just try it out and hope for the best.... next step co2 :)

8. Higher octane has nothing to do with either of those. Octane refers to the ability of gasoline to resist engine knocking.

It tells the ability of gasoline how much the fuel can be compressed before it ignites. High performance engines like a sports car have higher compression ratios meaning it needs higher octane fuel.

Todays cars have anti knock sensors so if you require high octane fuel but put in lesser the engine accommodates for this. Back in the day if you did you would get a knocking sound when you ran your car.

Thats all octane does but tons of people buy it thinking otherwise..what they count on hence the Premium fuel labeling.

Higher octane is neither cleaner then lower octane either another thing a lot think. The same amount of detergents and additives are added both to low octane and high octane fuel.

Another interesting fact is that is why lead used to be in fuel it boosted octane to prevent the dreaded knocking sounds from turn of the century cars many years ago.

9. Let me ask a question guys. Say for example that i have a space for growing that is 3x3x6. I have a 400w HPS for that space. If i added 2 CFLs during flowering(ranging from 150w-300w each) to the sides you believe it could make a big difference? I am afraid of heat issues, I have an RVK 125mm for exhaust and temps are at 75F, thanks guys.

10. [quote name='"rhapsodyrcks"']

Higher octane has nothing to do with either of those. Octane refers to the ability of gasoline to resist engine knocking.

It tells the ability of gasoline how much the fuel can be compressed before it ignites. High performance engines like a sports car have higher compression ratios meaning it needs higher octane fuel.

Todays cars have anti knock sensors so if you require high octane fuel but put in lesser the engine accommodates for this. Back in the day if you did you would get a knocking sound when you ran your car.

Thats all octane does but tons of people buy it thinking otherwise..what they count on hence the Premium fuel labeling.

Higher octane is neither cleaner then lower octane either another thing a lot think. The same amount of detergents and additives are added both to low octane and high octane fuel.

Another interesting fact is that is why lead used to be in fuel it boosted octane to prevent the dreaded knocking sounds from turn of the century cars many years ago.[/quote]

I went to skool for auto mechanics, my dad as well, n most of my buddus went to uti is all im sayin

11. better gas indeed gives better mileage! also makes it run better as well
    i am also an auto mechnic

i know this doesnt have anything to do with the thread but yeah...i always use "supremium" (i say that cause some places call it supreme and others call it premium) lol

it also cleans the motor really well

12. No matter how hard you try guys, you are not going to convince me to use petrol in my next grow....

13. its good for their growth
    2 gal of gas (supreme) to every 1 gal of water is good

14. then light it on fire and you have plenty of co2 too I guess :smoke:

15. nice :smoke:

16. I did exactly what you are contemplating, doubled up from 1 400w HPS to 2 400w HPS.

I'm not done with the first 800w grow yet, but the difference is huge. Maybe not double, but significant.

With one 400w HPS on three plants, the buds looked nice, but were kinda light and airy and burnt up quickly when smoked. The buds on the 4 plants I now have under 800w seem denser, if only a little "bigger" in absolute size.

The plants vegged quicker, were ready to flower sooner, didn't stretch at all, seemed to take more nutes before burning, just general seem much more robust. Two plant are the same strain from the same batch of seeds, so I know it's not just phenotype differences.

Previously I had one 400w HPS in a 6" cool tube. I didn't have room for a second fixture, so I just added the second 400w HPS to the other end of the cool tube. One 6" duct fan pulling air through the tube, a second 6" duct fan pulling air through the enclosure. My temps went up maybe 4 or 5 degrees without any added ventillation, but my temps were borderline low before (low to mid 70s and now are ~81 stable).

Will doubling the light double the yeild on one grow? Probably not.

But if you factor in the faster veg, meaning more harvests in a year, then yeah, it might double yield over the course of however many grows you are doing in a year.

Also seems it will increase the quality of the product immensely - if my current assessment of the situation holds out for the rest of flowering.

I am superstoked with how it's worked out for my grow...

17. thanks for your post... that was what I was looking for! I was already settled on doubling it... now even more. plus I have a rough idea about what to expect. thanks!!!:wave:

18. You might consider throwing in a 400w mh light?, the ratio of 2:1 SUPPOSEDLY increases quality, assuming you can handle the heat or ditch the 400s and get a 600w hps and a 250w mh. I dont know just thinking.

On topic; isn't there a break off point for more light = more yield? All things being equal and what not, isn't there only so much light that the plant can take in after which all excess light is just wasted?

19. [quote name='"GoGreen2012"']its good for their growth
    2 gal of gas (supreme) to every 1 gal of water is good[/quote]

How u think u grow diesel