Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Does cannabis effect dopamine and serotonin enough to cause damage?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by SnorkChris420, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Know it will effect it a little as cannabis makes people happy and being happy increases them lol but does it increase it enough to trigger skizo or phychosis exsperance lol sorry for spelling im blaZed lol
    Ps would it make a difference if I have torretetts and OCD :D lol thanks so much
    Peace V

2. Why not look it up

3. Well I'm not sure about how it affects dopamine and serotonin but what I do know is that it is definitely possible to go psychotic from weed. (Usually heavy long-term use.) When I started to experience anxiety problems I asked my doctor about the possibility of weed triggering it and he said he wasn't sure but he did treat two brother who both ended up in psychosis from smoking weed. Which makes me think that it has a lot to do with genetics and your genetic predisposition.

4. Tryed lol found out that it doesn't effect it much at all it effects it as much as suger BUT my phycolagist thinks it has a chance in making me sketzo lol
    Plus there's so much two sided information on the net ild rather ask follow stoners then make my conclusion thanks for ur reply tho :)

5. What I found out in a documentary about cannabis is that the younger you start smoking weed, it increase the chance of developing schizophrenia. It also said that the chance of developing schizophrenia if your 100% sober is 1%, if you smoke occasionally it's 2%, if you smoke heavily it increase to 6%.

Cannabis the Evil Weed 4/7 - YouTube

Start the video at 2:19 and it shows how THC can cause increase the chance of developing schizophrenia depending on what age you start.

6. Oh god i started at 13 am i gonna go scitzo?

7. There's definitely a chance buddy, believe me. One time one of my friends had like a schizophrenic episode when we were blazing really hard one day, (he's older and doesn't blaze crazy much) but the way he acted was so insane man it freaked me right out.

8. take it from someone who was into amphetamines for about a year, no - it does not affect your serotonin or dopamine levels in a significant, negative way.

9. [quote name='"SnorkChris420"']Know it will effect it a little as cannabis makes people happy and being happy increases them lol but does it increase it enough to trigger skizo or phychosis exsperance lol sorry for spelling im blaZed lol
    Ps would it make a difference if I have torretetts and OCD :D lol thanks so much
    Peace V[/quote]

You have tourettes but can't spell it? Hmm

10. LOL I no right but like I told you I'm blaZZed and just smack it down as words I'm sure no ones like 10 in here and wont be able to understand what I'm saying lol :p
    Plus THANKS everyone for your 2 cents :)

11. i bet being schizo is fun

me too

12. So I just checked up with the phycolagist lol
    Hes not worrying about cannabis with me as my life is on a good track and I'm now discharged from seeing him unless I want to/or need to,

AND he said my life has changed sooo much from 18 months ago eg: school etc and guess what iv been smoking cannabis heavily for 18 months lol :p

13. Meth and other drugs like it flood your receptors with MASS amounts of dopamine and serotonin. Weed dose make give a small extra "dose" of dopamine and serotonin but it has many other canaboids and even thc has other parts of the brain that they work at. So no If you get really high your brain will be back to normal in a day or too once you get it all outa there.

14. Listen people chill, here [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btH4e0-WQAo]EAZY E- REAL COMPTON CITY G's - YouTube[/ame]

Weed does not increase the chances of getting schizophrenia, if you have the genetics or were predisposed to get it later in life then it will trigger it earlier but it does not actually increase the chance of it happening. Anyways dont believe you can get it and you wont anyways, works for everything!

15. Only thing cannabis damages is ummmmmmmm nothing. Lol smoke on bro,

16. Lol i started at 11 im 21 now... And Perfectly fine

17. I have spent many hours researching several studies about the link between cannabis and schizophrenia. And the truth is that schizophrenics are much more likely to use marijuana, and this is why it makes it APPEAR as though smoking cannabis increases one risk for schizophrenia. The proof? Take Australia for example: marijuana rates skyrocketed between 1970 and 1998, but there was NO CHANGE in the rates of the population getting schizophrenia. In fact there are other countries where marijuana use has risen dramatically but the schizophrenic rate always doesn't change.

If you've heard / read about studies suggesting a link,
    the link they are seeing is that a person who has developed or is at risk of
    developing schizophrenia is more likely to smoke weed. So it's not marijuana making people
    "go crazy", it's that people with schizophrenia or people already at greater risk are just more
    likely to smoke weed or more often. Otherwise this country wide data would show increased rates of schizophrenics as marijuana use increased.

18. Great read thank you :)

19. Cannabis affects cannabinoid receptors, not serotonin or dopamine pathways. It may affect those pathways indirectly (by increasing your enjoyment of senses).

20. If you're an ant, I guess a couple of bong rips would do something-or-the-other to your brain.

Anything bigger, and you're totally cool.

The only thing that can trigger seratonin syndrome is the mixture of antidepressants and another MOAI response.

And even that is an incredibly long-shot.