does anyone think text messaging is getting out of hand?

Discussion in 'General' started by shevanel, Sep 17, 2009.

1. I agree with you, it's very sad. I feel like it's making it harder and harder for people to interact with eachother. I was at the bar with my friends, and a couple times throughout the night, everyone at the table was staring at their phone, texting! It's sad.

2. You prefer the jack offs who talk on their bluetooths at full decibel levels so the entire bus knows exactly whats going on in their lives?
    Texting is discreet and a great way to meet up with your friends without interrupting everyone.

3. My best bud totaled his first car heading into a curve because he was texting while he was driving :(

I like texting when I have one specific statement I need to make but I don't want to get into a big conversation with the person.

I absolutely hate getting into an argument with someone over text though. This has happened with my wife. Its insanely frustrating because you can't get the words typed in fast enough and there is too much to say for a simple txt msg :mad:

4. lol i guess you guys can bitch me out, i chew through like 8-10k a month lol

5. #45 ryeguy, Sep 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2009
    Man, I hate text messaging. If I take a girl out on a date and she spends her time texting, I'll never call her again. I don't even have texting on my phone.

Here's my reasoning: People spend less and less time living in the present. Our focus is always on the future or the past, and we end up missing out on all of those things that are happening around us. People are lonely now more than ever, yet we text while we're together. I can understand it's utility, but the actual usage is much beyond that and necessarily precludes being attentive to one's environment.

Why spend your day with your nose in a phone when you could meet a girl and talk to her in person? Or enjoy a well made dinner instead of thumbing your way through some poorly written tripe?

The following exchange on Boondocks properly conveys my distaste for texting.
    EDIT:
    Ah, good call, Collie man420.
    Also, bluetooth chatters are worse. Just use the goddamn phone like a phone. Illegal to talk on the phone while driving? Easy! Don't talk on the goddamn phone until you get there! Sure, sometimes you've gotta call for directions, that's fine, but keep conversations concise and to the point. Using bluetooth for phone conversations while driving is no safer than using the phone normally.

6. I don't mind that people text, but if you're talking to me, and I'm taking the time to look into your eyes while I converse with you, and you whip out your phone and start texting while continuing to talk to me, then I have lost all respect for you.

There's a time and a place for texting. When you have some other obligation you should be focused on that obligation. Your texts will be there when you look at your phone later.

If someone texts you in an emergency, and you don't get it because you're being respectful to the people around you, slap that person upside the head later. Use the phone if there's an emergency.

7. In my last year at high school, it doesnt anger me more when you get those people on the phone every 2-5 minutes texting, while a teacher is lecturing.

With a class of only 30, it is just plain fucking disrespectful to the teacher.

The occasional text is alright, but if you`re just having convos with people, talking about bullshit ALL CLASS,

why dont you just fuck off out of the classroom.

8. How many kids do you honestly know in high school that care about the teacher?

I was in high school just when cell phones were becoming the thing to have, and even then, if you were caught with a phone it was taken away until the end of the year, or until your parents came to pick it up. If it got taken away a second time it was taken period.

9. I hated all the texting until I got it. It's so much easier if I want to tell someone something than having to call them up. Can do it in a car when you don't want people over hearing your convo. You can reply to messages with time to think how to answer (girls usually but sometimes with guys). Don't have to step out or try to remember what you wanted to say everytime you have to say something. I see all positives, however I see your perspective of the accidents or stupid walking and texting people.

10. Point taken lol,

I guess I have more respect for the good teachers really. Some teachers really do bring it on themselves because they are shitty teachers and the teaching style they use puts the class to sleep.

11. You know what's getting out of hand? People bitching about what other people do.

Text if you want to, don't text if you don't want to. Then we can all just GTF over it.

12. #52 SDVP, Sep 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2009
    thats pretty fuckin depressing.

you should get out more.

im sure its better than friends talking on the phone the entire time your chillin together.. jesus i just want to slap the shit out of him

13. of course it's great when you want to send a quick message or keep from interrupting people you're around. i was saying it's not so great when you're with a bunch of people and everyone is on their phone, instead of talking to eachother.

14. It's just a matter of common courtesy, which is increasingly less common.

Texting while driving is moronic and incredibly dangerous. It should hold the same penalties as DUI, in my opinion.

Texting while walking is mainly just rude if you let it distract you so you're an obstacle to others. If you're walking along and no one else is around, have at it.

Basically it's the forgotten principle that people who're physically present take precedence. When I was young and visiting my grandparents, they wouldn't answer the phone if it rang. If they had company, you'd have to call back later. Now people get annoyed with the cashier at McDonalds because they were "rude" enough to interrupt their call by asking what they want to order. Twisted.

If you allow remote communication to get in the way of direct interaction, you're rude. The people who've gone to the trouble to actually be present to interact with you come first. The people using the electronic convenience devices come second.

And it happens on both sides of the counter now, too. If the phone rings while you're out shopping it's rare to have the salesperson NOT interrupt you to answer the phone.

15. Your friends can't text and talk? I have to be on my phone alot for work, but it certainly doesn't stop me from talking to people.. I type out page long emails while I hold a conversation... not that hard, really.

TECHNOLOGY KING.

16. ;)I wish my GF didnt have thumbs...

17. What's worse is during a smoking session my friend always gets on facebook through his phone.

I MEAN COME ON........

18. since ive been smoking heavily i can say i fucking hate texting. seeing people doing it. maybe its because i got the new lg bliss phone. piece of shit

19. I agree man. I hate texting. Yes i do it but to a certain point. One of my friends when he hangs with us barely even talks he just texts the whole time which just annoys the fuck out of me. Also texting while driving is retarded. Heard it makes you just as likely to crash as a drunk driver.