Does anyone prefer automatic?

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by U S S R, Aug 2, 2012.

1. In the future I will be looking for a car and have been mostly leaning towards getting an automatic due to the fact that I'll just be learning how to drive and have other things to focus on. I feel like a manual could distract me from driving, but then again I've never driven one. I know how they work, but I feel in a situation where I could have to have a quick seconds reaction to a something, a manual would hold me back whereas an auto is quite simple and you can just cruise.

Is there any real reason for me to get a manual? Is there any outgoing reason not to get an auto? I realize it's all about preference but I don't want to get an automatic and feel like I missed out.

What are the pros and cons of automatic and manual cars?

2. Manual transmissions let you control the car much better. This may be me personally but it also keeps my focus on the road and the car other than stuff that can distract me. You can also get better gas mileage with them if you know how to drive efficiently. Plus they are fun as hell to drive.

3. If you enjoy driving get a manuel. If its something you just do cause you have to get a auto. Thats just my best guess

4. What do you mean by control? I've heard this alot but what exactly is it that you're controlling?

5. #5 blazedasfuck, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2012
    RPM's If you are going up a hill, drifting, or trying to speed up you can downshift on demand for more torque/horsepower whereas you have to wait for an automatic (seconds really matter) some auto's won't down shift in the short period of time for a drift. Also when you start off you can raise the rpms and pop the clutch to get a better start/do a burnout. You can also keep the rpms lower for better gas mileage.

If your brakes go out you can also engine brake so you can slow down. If you get an older car manual transmissions last longer, the new ones seem to have figured this out though. The transmission fluid is completely contained in manny's too. I prefer manual, however my current car is an auto because it was super cheap.

6. Im awkward in a automatic car, where the fuck do i put my left hand????????

7. Been driving manual since I was 14. I'm now 22 I would never trade it for a automatic because it boring as fuck driving it.

8. #8 Zònk, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2012
    Aside from performance and breaking having a manual helps a lot in cornering as well. Instead of going around even the simplest of corners in neutral or a gear you did not chose, with a manual you can downshift and have better control.

9. I do. I like being able to mess with the radio or handle my pipe and lighter instead. Automatics are slightly less demanding is all.

10. [quote name='"JPR"']Manual transmissions let you control the car much better. This may be me personally but it also keeps my focus on the road and the car other than stuff that can distract me. You can also get better gas mileage with them if you know how to drive efficiently. Plus they are fun as hell to drive.[/quote]

Yea but I Iive in cali so driving with them on the freeway can be a bitch with all the traffic ....... So I prefer automatic even though stick is fun

11. If you have to post this thread, you should probably get an automatic

12. I've always driven stick, but I live in a rural area, if I lived in an urban area I would opt for automatic. Stick does help keep my focus on driving, whereas auto lets me become distracted more easily....

13. I live in miami where people fuck you up if u dont pay attention. Therefore, manual all dayyy.

Im proud to say i drive better than my boyfriend, he can drive but his shifts are erratic and such Hehe
    The only thing that sucks is traffic, but that's why you have weed. my left ankle is permanently sprained lol and sometimes pressing in the clutch makes it hurt, so i dont want to hear anyone complain about traffic.

I also used to live in a hilly town where manual was so clutch. No pun intended..

ive talked on the fone, while smokin and drinkin a coffee, driving stick shift. It's not too smart, but i drive with my knee if i need an extra hand. Stick shift actually makes you pay more attention to the road. Nothing like downshifting for an extra boost to pass idiot drivers

14. Everyone's first car should be a standard. I was told this by a retired cop. An auto salesman. And many parents when I was younger. It's a skill people need to know. What happens when's you're out in the sticks smoking a bowl with a friend who drives a manual and then he faints.. Gets hurt. Whatever. How do u plan on getting back. It's a needed skill.

15. I think this is the best advice.

If you find driving fun, manual is for you - you make the car do what you want it to do when you want.

If you just want to get from A to B and you don't really drive just for fun, then automatic is for you.

I find driving fun, go out on cruises with friends all the time. Unfortunately I have an auto, but that's because the vehicle I wanted didn't have an option for manual. However, I could swap in a manual from a Dodge Ram some day if I really want it.

16. Manual will prevent you from falling asleep....thus safer...

17. [quote name='"ganjustice"']manual will prevent you from falling asleep....thus safer...[/quote]

qfft!!!

18. Ignore the high horse comments from stick drivers.

Automatics are much more convenient and that is all that matters.

Shifting in traffic sucks.
    Shifting on the phone sucks.
    Shifting while smoking sucks.
    Shifting while high sucks.
    Shifting in small towns sucks.
    Shifting downtown sucks.
    Shifting up and down mountains sucks.
    Shifting while tired sucks.
    Shifting in the morning sucks.

Shifting on a drag strip is the only fun.

19. I prefer manuals because I like knowing what's going on with my car.

"okay, I'm in 3rd gear. cool. 1500 rpms. cool." Automatics are like, "meh, I just know I'm going 35."

20. [quote name='"Thunder Struck"']Ignore the high horse comments from stick drivers.

Automatics are much more convenient and that is all that matters.

Shifting in traffic sucks. << true
    Shifting on the phone sucks. << very easy
    Shifting while smoking sucks. << very easy
    Shifting while high sucks. << very easy
    Shifting in small towns sucks. << very easy
    Shifting downtown sucks. << true
    Shifting up and down mountains sucks<Easy&fun
    Shifting while tired sucks. << sorta but easy
    Shifting in the morning sucks. << wakes u up :)

Shifting on a drag strip is the only fun. << very fun [/quote]

Amended