Does anyone feel the world is more commercailzed than it was about 15 years ago?

Discussion in 'General' started by Aconites, Dec 5, 2008.

1. #1 Aconites, Dec 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2008
    I dunno. It seems like the 90's were kinda more real and down to earth. all the music today and the people I know all just seem overly preppy and materialistic. This is all just my opinion but does anyone agree?

2. I completely agree, +rep.

Can you believe MTV used to actually play music? And popular bands didn't suck ass? And people talked on phones rather than texted? And gas prices were never too high? And...lots of other things that were way better than today...

Fuck the materialistic society that we have become.

3. And rap songs actually had real lyrics.....didnt just talk about cars,girls and money

4. Just think 15 years from now.

You'll miss how good you had it.

5. Holy shit... you couldn't be more right.

6. I sure as hell hope not...

When I was living in the 90's...life was great, I enjoyed things, I was happy with the way things were. Today, shit sucks. Music sucks (the VAST majority). Economy sucks. People suck.

I honestly wish instead of technology progressing...it would digress and go back in time. I think we'd all start to appreciate LIFE more and stop being such a materialistic society.

7. i blame the capitialists

8. All I ever hear is people bashing todays music and new ways of life. Yet no one does anything. Stop complaining unless you're going to do something about it and stop living in the past.

9. Music today mostly sucks, that's why MOSTLY all the music I listen to is from the 60's, 70's, and 80's. As for gas prices, they are the lowest right now that I've seen in ages. Last one I saw was about $1.78 yesterday, but I'm sure gas will go back up to around $3.50 again soon. TV is pretty bad too. You can just turn it on and see some ridiculous crap on any channel at any time. Like for instance, this Whopper Virgins stuff. That is probably the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen in my entire life.

10. Is this a serious question?

11. Thats because it IS more commercialized. Thats not just a feeling, it's fact. Technology has allowed us to sit on our ass while the job gets done. I agree with most things you mentioned, except the texting part. I dont text a alot, but I'd prefer to text over talking on the phone anyday. I hate phones, i'd rather not text either, but I have business thas gotta be took care of, so I have to have a cellphone.

By the way, you can still listen to good underground rap, I do. Fuck the mainstream

12. Underground Rap > Anything BET, MTV and whatever you watch

Ill admit it, i miss the 90's even the early 2000 years were better. I miss the days when you could walk down the street and say hi to people. When people wernt always texting or having headphones in their ears ( dont get me wrong i do it to now). Back when people would hold the door open for you and not think anything about it

13. I completely disagree

This message has been brought to you in part by [​IMG]

14. Texting is cool and all, but I fuckin hate how long it takes to have a conversation, when you could talk on the phone and have it over ina minute, I only text when calling is not possible.

15. hell ya man, give me some Immortal Technique, Jedi Mind Tricks, Sick Symphonies, or Psycho Realm over 50 cent or Lil Wayne anyday

16. Honestly, I think things have largely been the same since the advent of radio, but with differing technology. Look back at images of the 40s and 50s and tell me you don't see the same sort of prepackaged conformity that you see now, just in a different color scheme.

Of course, this goes all the way back to the Roman coliseums, and further than that most likely. Bread and circuses, anything to keep the population distracted.

17. A world where billboards comment on your car?

[​IMG]

Yeah it´s more commercialized, but the real thing is that the commercials are using a shitload of technology and systems of communication now. Soon they´ll be sending personalized commercials about discount offers to your cell phone or something.

Brought to you by Carl´s Jr. [​IMG]

18. There's a great commentary on nostalgia and how it's all articifical in the graphic novel "Watchmen" - you should check it out. It's very subtle though, so you might have missed it.

In any case, the "good old days weren't always good and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems" - W. Joel, 1983.

19. completely agree