Does adjusting the pH harm the plants grown in soil?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by greenops, Dec 6, 2012.

1. The last time I checked whether to adjust the pH - when watering either water only or water with Bio Canna - i was told to ph it.

I knew there were contradicting statements on this but somehow i was convinced to keep pHing, which I do all the time although it can be so time consuming!

So now, I was looking for the actual Bio Canna recommended feeding schedule (attached) and below the chart it says:

Tips on using Canna Bio
    • The above feeding schedule should be used as a guide only. You should look for signals from your plant
    as to whether more or less feed is required.
    • Do not adjust the pH of your nutrient solution when growing in soil. There is no need, and by adding
    acids to your solution you will in fact harm the beneficial organisms present in your soil.

• Canna Bio works well with all major soil growing media available. We have seen exceptional results with
    both Bio-Bizz All-Mix and Canna Professional Plus Soil Mixes
    • The above recommended boosters and additives are suggestions only. Other organic boosters and
    additives are available and will work equally as well with Canna Bio. Call the Technical Team on 0845
    345 5176 for more info on what boosters can be used with Canna Bio.

I'm using Plagron's Grow Mix, which can't be too much different from Canna's soil. So its lightly pre ferted. My water source is tap water, it comes out at 7.7 - 7.9 pH. With my current grow I have to pH down the solution to 6.0 to get a run off of 6.7 pH.

So once and for all I wanna know whether to keep pHing the water or not? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Always always always pH calibrate your water before feeding your plants, doesn't matter if your medium is soil, DWC etc. If its too acidic/alkaline your plant can't absorb the nutrients it needs.

3. Appreciate your answer!
    And that's what i thought too but this statement from Canna is confusing me, talking about harming the beneficial organisms in my soil.. shiiiet.

4. When googling for an answer I've read a few posts saying that due to the natural ph buffer in the soil its not necessary to pH the solution.

While other say that's only meant for the truly organic soil growers. But why does Canna come out with a statement like that?

5. Well some soils are more forgiving when it comes to swaying pH. Such as if you use miracle grow, almost regardless of what pH your water is in, its gonna be way low, but Fox Farm soils tend to maintain pH well.

All that being said, you still need to calibrate your water to the desirable pH.

6. Don't take this the wrong way, but that info is so damned incorrect! If a soil contains dolomite lime in proper quantities, or crushed oyester shells also in the correct quantity, then it NEVER needs ph'd water as the aforementioned ammendments naturally ph your soil and they are right, adding the acids will kill your microherd and do more harm than good.

7. If you are truly organic then no ph is self regulated and you should be using ro water its neutral usually 7.0 but in hydro or using soilless mixes with bottle nutes yes i would ph water.

8. Correctomundo! I tell my son that using the words 'always, never and forever' are tricky because dealing in absolutes is serious business when there are variables to most all situations. There are situations when u DO need to PH your water but depending on what is in your soil, you may not need to.

9. Thanks for your reply, I was waiting for someone to say this..
    So if my pre ferted grow mix doesn't contain those things you mentioned, I should still stick to pHing the solution?

This is the product description of the Plagron Grow Mix:

Plagron Growmix is ​​composed of the finest, carefully selected types of peat. By adding various types of fiber and perlite in a lightness and oxygen level as you only Plagron quality potting soil can be expected. The abundant and unique Plagron worm humus ensures maximum biological life and a further improvement of the water flow. \t\t\t\t\t\t\t

Is the Plagron Grow mix considered truly organic?
    I think not, but it's not soilles either right? Sorry I get confused when I hear those two terms.

10. When i say truly organic imean a fully ammended water onlymix that is completeby itself.