Do you want to Live Forever?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Jane_Bellamont, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Considering how overpopulated we already are as a species, I don't think it would be a good thing if we began creating immortal humans.

2. Unfortunately, we deteriorate as we age, just like a car, house, oak tree, etc.

"Nothing is forever."

When the negatives in life (loss of a spouse, failing health, etc.) outweigh the positives, then death doesn't seem so bad. That is how my mother felt 16 years ago before she died. She never actually said that, but it was somewhat obvious. My father died two years previously.

I'm approaching my 68th birthday, still working full-time, reasonably healthy, still enjoying life but it's different than it used to be. There are so many things that I just don't want to do anymore, and won't do. Like fighting the brush, brambles, and weeds that invade my yard. For the first time in my life I'm not going to fight it, my buddy's kid is gonna come over and do it for me next week. I am physically able to do it, I just have no interest in trying any more.

So, maybe I have 5-10 years of reasonably healthy living, where I can function by myself at my own home. After that, who knows? At some point death will probably feel like a relief.

I'll let you know, lol.

3. This

• Like Like x 1
  4. I accept this but I also hate it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Our views on life change as we age. It's probably a good thing, as it prepares us mentally for the inevitable.

As the late Mohammed Ali said, paraphrased: "Any man who views life at fifty the same as he did at twenty, has wasted thirty years of his life."

So how is Melon Head tonight? I'm nursing my second dirty martini.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. I like that quote. I'm good. Not drinking but tired. I gotta get up around 6 AM tomorrow instead of the usual 7 but I don't really mind.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Where did you find a pillow big enough for your um . . . rather "large" head? [​IMG]

8. if everyone became immortal they would probably have to sterilize everyone for that exact reason lol

9. If there was some way to make my self immortal i would do it no matter what the cost! Then my family as well.

~Toni~

10. Speaking as someone who has been hospitalized for
    suicidal depression five times, Fuck No.

Life is wonderful in small doses. But it can turn into
    a living hell quickly. And quite often does.

11. No pillow for the melon head, gotta let it rest in a basket...

• Like Like x 1
  12. [​IMG]

13. You know I'm born to lose, and gambling's for fools
    But that's the way I like it baby
    I don't wanna live for ever
    And don't forget the joker! :metal:

14. Maybe I don't really wanna know
    How your garden grows cause I just want to fly
    Lately did you ever feel the pain
    In the morning rain as it soaks you to the bone

15. if i didnt have family i wouldnt care if i died tomorrow. but forever that sounds terrible. imagine how bored you would be.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. But imagine being in your mid twenties forever. Never having to deal with getting old. Able to live a thousand lifetimes worth of time. I would give anything to never get old.

17. i guess, but who doesnt want to get old and get to retire and then fade into the sunset

18. Me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Instantly popped into my mind, reading the title for this thread:

And nah, I wouldn't want to live forever. Unless, everyone I know and loved did as well. I feel like I would just be too lonely to handle that.

20. I think it might be nice to go a few hundred or maybe 500 years just to get the full effect -

But forever is a goddamn long time