Do you want to Live Forever?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Jane_Bellamont, Sep 24, 2017.

1. You know, for me it depends a lot of the times. Sometimes I'm in a "fuck humanity, come WWIII / Mr Asteroid / Gamma Ray Burst / etc." .. and sometimes I'm like .. "man, wouldn't it be nice to be a kid again? or at least stay the same age.. forever? "

Frankly, I can't imagine myself growing older. That just wouldn't be 'me'.

...Provided my life turns around for the better within these next few years, of course.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Can you imagine the interest we could pay on Student Loans if we lived forever. Or how long alimony would go.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. The answer completely depends on what quality of life would await us.

Obviously, no one wants to be in the body of a today's 90 year old for forever. Aches and pains, while all your friends and family have passed on. That isn't fun for anyone.

If however, immortality comes with perfect health, and the tools and chance to further one's knowledge and life as much as one wants, (travel the galaxy etc) with the option to end it on your own terms should you so choose, I'd say that's an immortality many would absolutely choose to experience.

• Like Like x 1
  4. If it was with op, Id totally do it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Strictly speaking, we couldn't live forever, but let us say 10,000 years for sake of discussion. That, as has been pointed out, depends what kind of life awaits.

I am not even sure of the feasibility of a sustained 'paradise', it seems there is a natural ebb and flow.

If there is any truth in the ancient writings citing lifespans as hundreds or thousands of years, perhaps paradise can be sustained for some time. I think it would be very difficult to keep people ignorant and enslaved if they had that much time to live, learn and contemplate.

6. Will be a reality in just a few centuries, shame we won't be around for that. Cryogenic freezing only costs around £200,000.

7. their is no forever. the universe will no longer exist in googol years.

8. If you could live forever the day will come when the sun explodes and your left floating thru space for eternity. I don't think I can ever outlive my children that would destroy me my friend. Living forever has it's perks but no amount would ever make me want to.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. When we look at AI, one of the things that we cannot understand is their actions. Truly, every decision made by human beings has some essence of emotion attached to it; it is a proven fact that people with fucked up emotions have a severely impaired ability to make good choices.

A lot of these emotions, stem from the fear of death and without that, these emotions would literally change into other things. We, would change.

One of the biggest problems with having AI, is the fact that they do not have emotion, thus, our ability to predict it's decisions is impaired significantly, leaving us with only one option, to react to it. This is a very disadvantageous situation to be in.

Again, if we take away death, we literally will become something else and we will not be able to predict that things decisions, how it will use what we have at our disposal and lastly, how deep into this transformation this later form of ourselves will choose to go.

Essentially, we will be AI, except with emotion. What kinds? Who knows. Maybe we decide to rid ourselves of emotion entirely?

Paradoxically, the removal of death from the human race, will be the instantaneous death of the human race.

Sent from my SM-J120W using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. The idea of being able to live forever is only acceptable if I could choose to also end it at any time. Wouldn't want to be floating around forever. Though I wonder how long it would take you to go insane and not care anymore

11. I would hate to live forever... If we are being entirely honest most of the reason im still dragging along is for family... we arent meant to live forever and its as simple as that and there is no changing it even if man somehow prolongs life by an extra hundred or two years (so you can continue being a slave that is) youll die and thatll be that for your existence on earth forever.

12. The spice of life is its inevitable end and making the best of the days left. If I'd live forever I wouldn't bother living anymore cause I knew I could always do it tomorrow.
    So no give me ten more years of fun and let me die in my thirties with a joint in my mouth a pussy on my dick and a big smile on my face knowing I've finally beaten the system. And who knows maybe we'll always be reborn to start all over again

• Like Like x 1
  13. Eh, eventually the only thing left to do would be to die, haha. I was actually reading about this earlier. There is a Superman elseworlds story that seems interesting, where he lives to the heat death of the universe and he got more powerful with age. So by that time he had enough power to hold back the heat death lol. Until the last living entity was dead. So THAT would suck, huh?

14. Eternity is overrated; now rocks!

15. Oh, Jane...not this again. :GettingStoned:

When we're still talking about this in 2117, I'll just say, 'Our current nature of existence lies outside of time as a linear construct, since we're constantly downloading parts of self into matrices of varying speed and function relative to the outside universe...and don't even get me started on the quantum dilation of faster than light travel. I can live forever within the span of 24 hours, but the relativistic universe keeps churning away.'

Then we'll probably drink beer and watch amusing cat videos.

• Like Like x 1
  16. hell yes I do. I would do just about anything for immortality.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Op likes girls who like girls. Sorry.

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. PM me....

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Just think of all the guilt free procrastination ...

20. I wouldn't want to, im 31 and im already bored, stretch that out over eternity and im living in hell.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1