Do you thinnk AA is realy just a cult?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by untamedlion33, Apr 30, 2011.

1. it's like they have there own little religion thats sanctioned by the church, lol. when my ex use to go and dragged me along i was so bored and nervous cause as soon as they went around the room and asked my name i said "hi everyone im jessie, i dont think i really have a problem the last time i drank was st patricks day." and of course everyone around the room was like your in denile and whatever else. so of course after every time of going with my ex, i ended up almost sorta believing i was an alcoholic even though i only drink maybe 3 times a year.

2. Lol, I thought this was going to be about the Thelemic magical brotherhood "A. A." formed by Aleister Crowley.

A

As for the AA you are talking about.... I think all types of organizations have cult aspects to them.

3. Its close to it, but I see it more as recruiting for Christianity.

Their steps clearly indicate that

"# Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

# Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God "

4. idk they seemed pretty convinced if you want to veiw god as a doorknob thats your thing. my guess is it's weird form of unitarianism whith drunks who are sober but now have nothing better to do. lol

5. Still, they are fucking up the entire perception of the situation

They are saying that its a "disease", not even recognizing it as an addiction. Then they say that you have no power? Bullshit. Only you have the power.

Everything they say is just bullshit

6. #6 Drybananna, Apr 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2011
    I've posted about this before, and I agree completely with Mushroom.

They get you when you're weak, without God you will fail.

Yes, they tell you that your higher power can be a tree, whatever you fancy, but reading the AA text it's basically as Mushroom says.

This is from Chapter 4 titled "We Agnostics"
    It's just ridiculous.

7. #7 1Trismegistus1, Apr 30, 2011
    AA and NA actually have like a negative success rate. Their motto is "It works if you work it!!" and "If you follow the steps exactly you won't fail". Let me tell you how retarded this idea. I could start my program, and it could have 1 step, and so long as you follow it you will maintain your sobriety. You know what that 1 step would be? "Don't get high/drunk". TADA!! Wow it's a miracle, you couldn't have stayed clean without Trismegistus' 1 step miracle program.

Read this. I'm a recovering heroin addict, and let me tell you, my method is much more efficient. I haven't even had A DREAM about heroin, let alone a thought, and nothing CLOSE to a craving in months. The key difference is all the people in those programs still want to get high but don't want the consequences, it's a cesspool of negative cravings, and then they wonder why after 10 years people go out and still get fucked up and attribute it to "the powerful disease of addiction". The only reason it never gets cured is because they constantly feed it with talk of drugs everyday instead of letting that fucking demon die and moving on with their lives.

12 step programs MAKE people relapse. You rely on others to stay clean, you rely on pride and ego, instead of changing yourself so you can stand on your own 2 feet.

The Effectiveness of the Twelve-Step Treatment

8. I beleive it they always seemed to relapse in those meetings. they'd go out steel a car, bang a hooker, steel some old ladies purse, kill a kid in a drunk driving accident, go to jail and come back to judge me for smoking pot and drinking with a friend once or twice. because of course they've been working the steps for a whole 2 weeks and i havnt bothered doing anything except bring some doughnuts and drink up the coffee. lol. i think the worst thing ive done smoking pot was watching the brady bunch and telling everyone on facebook i was doing it. lol

9. Um

Is your ex boyfriend in AA or something?

10. #10 tuchaka, Apr 30, 2011
    well part of the issue is that most addicts relapse period statistically regardless of the method , so just something to keep in mind. But if i was a atheist i can see where someone might feel a tad resentful at being told they need to change their ideology as opposed to just treating this as a strictly medical issue. To me that's the real issue 'cult' they don't meet the criteria

11. no he was when i was dating him about 5 years ago. idk why i thought about it enough to post it. the last i heard from him was december. he moved to boston and sold heroine while he was on it. and things were diffrent for him now because he was living back with his mom and going to aa. lol any guesses why he's my ex?

12. He turned out to be a bear?

13. omg how did you guess. :hello:

14. Probably is a cult, but it doen't surprise me that AA is the way they go about it to be honest. Grab the weakest people in society (those that require total abstinance, rather than cope with moderation) and reel them in with bullshit when they have nowhere ele to turn.

15. This stereotype really pisses me off. It has nothing to do with being weak, most addicts have an indomitable will when it comes to other areas of their lives, it's just that something happens in the brain that when they get high they just keep going. After I finally got clean I had about 3 months of "just 1 times" where that 1 didn't turn int 1000 like they promise it always will, so perhaps I'm a bit different in that regard.

The truth of the matter is this, when most people have lost their family and home, they will kill themselves. When an addict loses these things, he'll keep going and then later get it back instead of giving up and committing suicide like a pussy. Look at the Great Depression for example, there wasn't a drug epidemic then and people killed themselves left and right when they lost everything, but when an addict ends up homeless on the street he does what these people were too weak and cowardly to do and took the easy way out, and he toughs it out until he dies accidentally or gets back on his feet.

16. Yeah, other areas. In the areas where they have an addiction they are weak. I was addicted to cocaine when I was younger, I kept coming up with excuses to justify it but when I look back it was just weakness, there is no other reason for addiction (in my case or anyone I've known).

Well then you can cope with moderation and my post doesn't apply.

Or until his addiction kills him.

17. addiction is genetic sorry is the science didn't get around to some people yet

18. #18 1Trismegistus1, May 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2011
    My mother was a heroin addict, and my mother also quit on her own without any kind of support system and still gets drunk occasionally, smokes weed occasionally, and (not too happy about this) smokes crack n snorts coke occasionally, but all recreationally. When an ex-heroin addict can buy a 50 peice and not fiend for crack afterwards I'd say maybe I'm genetically prone to heavy drug abuse but not addiction. But then again, like I said those 3 months when I'd get high like once every 10-14 days I never went buck wild with it, just shot my typical 3 bags or so, and had an OD in early november like I seem to do every year in late october/early november. I'd say the stars are not in my favor at that time lol. I've never been one of those get high every 6 hours kind of junkies, once a day and twice if I was lucky.

My mother also wasn't around for the first 20 years of my life and I just got into contact with her, so that wasn't too cool of her. Supposedly she's been clean for like 18 years, so it kind of pisses me off that she didn't try to come back into my life since her excuse was "I couldn't give you the care you needed"... or you know, the other 3 kids she has no contact with.

19. It kind of is. They're just replacing one addiction with another. If doesn't rot your liver, but it probably isn't to healthy either.

This song sums up my beliefs about AA:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Yzr-07SUPY]YouTube - Coffee, God And Cigarettes[/ame]