Do you think this is a scam?

Discussion in 'General' started by thekiller, Oct 15, 2010.

1. 100$ to talk about cheeseburgers?

I sense date rape.

2. Sounds like Mr. Krabs is finally going to tell us the Krabby Patty formula.

He must be a senile crustacean if he's giving out money too.

3. Focus Groups are typically not scams, and in fact are a cheap way to earn some dough. I worked for a market research company for a couple of years (yes, my resume is quite varied), and conducting focus groups was part of the job. It's actually kind of fun, plus after I left the biz, I got invited to do a bunch of focus groups. As a respondent it's quite lucrative if you can get on the right lists.

They usually pay in cash too.

The only bad thing is you have to qualify for the groups, and a lot of times there's just strange criteria that they want in sampling data. Oh and you typically can't do more than one every couple of months per each company, and there's a LOT of companies that conduct focus groups.

4. I know but do you think this one is? Can you google the email? The ad says a market research company wad looking for x but wouldn't the market research company just do the ad themselves instead of hiring someone?

5. NOPE, the market research companies almost always have outside recruiters working for them, we did. And those outside recruiters usually get a commission for how many people they get qualified to the group. Happens all the time.

I'd go ahead and reply and see what happens.

6. Ok thanks.

7. You know what I do? I have an email address specifically to use for this kind of thing, that way if it is a spam-scam I don't really worry about it.

8. yeah too late now though. She thanked me for my interest and wants me to fill this out Restaurant Study B#21012 Survey

9. I did one of these before. It was for the Hungry Man frozen dinners. They gave us bourbon beef, mashed potatos, and seasoned carrots and broccoli. They were two different trays and each one had some differences in it. Like the size of the beef strips/vegetables, and the slightly different flavors between the two. You only had to have enough to get an opinion but you could eat as much as you wanted.

Before/after each one there were questions on a computer that asked about how you thought it looked and tasted. I think I was there for almost 45 minutes and got $40 in cash for it. I think the more detailed you are with your answers, meaning you're actually helpful, the more likely you are to be asked back.

10. Yup you got it right, the more honest that you are and the more vocal you are, the more likely you'll be asked back.