Do you think strain names really matter if you arent from a medical state?

Discussion in 'General' started by dkd24, Apr 28, 2012.

1. So i was picking up some bud today and a kid who doesn't really smoke much asked if I could pick him up a g. I said sure and he asked if i knew what strain it was and I said that I don't really care or ask what the name is because most of the time I feel like its its been made up somewhere down the supply chain to help it sell better.

I've been smoking for over 5 years and by now I can tell if the buds are dank from looking/smelling etc., and obviously smoking them if my dealer offers to smoke me up. So in the end, as long as I deem the bud to be pretty high on the quality meter I dont really care what its called.

He said he thought that was stupid, and that you should get a name as much as possible because you might run across higher end strains and be able to appreciate them. I can see his point if you are from a Medical state, and i definitely would keep track of names if I was getting it from a dispensary, but being from Mass. I feel like a good amount of the time someone has just slapped a strain name on there to help it sell better.

SO my question to you blades who arent from medical states, how much faith do you place in the names of the bud you are getting, or are you like me and dont care what its called as long as its dank?

2. I'm in a mmj state but who I buy from has no connections with mmj and I kinda trust strain names what I've bought from him compares to what i find on the internet and what I've gotten from other dealers so I do like to know the name

3. nope names are just a title i could give 2 fucks less bout names cuz for all u know its not even what it supposivly is therefore names arent something to go by i look at how crystaly it is how sticky it is the smell and color :D tokes to ya!

4. Names don't matter to me anymore. I go for the smell and looks of the bud.
    Everyone grows differently so the outcome is endless on a strain.

5. depends on the smell of weed, how crystal it is, and especially if its sticky as shit i dont mind the name

6. Name doesn't matter to me at all when I'm at a clinic

If I want an indicated/sativa

I pick whichever my nose and eyes like the most

7. Indica/sativa is all that matters to me.

8. I don't give a fuck about names...if it looks and smells dank it prolly is. The strains aren't that big of a sifference in highs unless you goin from dank to shit. That's all I look for. I ain't picky.

9. Honestly I'd rather it reek than have someone tell me it's blueberry haze rhino tropical og lemon skunk kush.

10. if its all you can get no it dose not matter

but for me i like to know what i am getting

sleepy weed upy weed

and if its a good kind then i might want to get more then i usuley pick up

11. Well, iif its an unregulated market your buying from, then it's really hit and miss and up to your own judgement, you can't tell sometimes if it is, or if they're lying out their hat.

Althought I did notice a correlation between some buds and their look, taste, smell, feel and the names, they kept saying "OG kush" and "Blueberry Buddah."

The kushy bud was ALWAYS small, tight, and sticky

The blueberry buddah was enormous light green with a tingie of blue, and was very very sticky, you'd push it in and it would stick there, then slowly go back, like memory foam.

Oh, and this nebula stuff, which got your high, but I preferred the other stuff, although it was still great stuff, that was just kinda, your average nice looking weed, red hairs, green, etc etc.

But yea, I did notice the names always held up to how the bud looked, and from time to time it would be "Og kush 2, Nebula 2" and that stuff was ALWAYS better than the original strains.

Just gotta pay attention.

12. My connect is straight and doesn't make up any names lol, sucks that yours do

13. Yes, Indica or Sativa might be something to decide about, but even that is not so important. THC content would be another, and that's what you should find displayed in any good dispensary.

As for the names, it really doesn't help the legalise for medical use campaign if the dispensaries use the same names they do on the street. These ridiculous names just trivialise the herb and that takes away its legitimate right to be seen as a medicine by those who might need help doing so.

It doesn't need the big Pharma-type names either. Just something that helps someone remember what it is, especially if they like it. Like K2, for example.

14. Majority of these named strains are just no-names but some dealers do have a line on named strains, they are not all lying. Just most of them.

15. In my non-medical state, I can't score often, so when I do, I deal in larger quantities. I can't count on my source to find something specific. I tell him I want x-quantity for y-amount of dollars and the rest is up to him, save my final approval.

16. Yeah, i got caught up on names when i was 15, thats about it.

Shits retarded. What one dude calls Upside Down Mahi-Mahi Fuego, the next dude to pick some up could call it The Chico Brick, and no one would know the fucking difference

You gotta pull a nug apart and get the smell of that bitch to determine quality, not how many syllable words some jackass can throw together

It's that Mexi-Italian cheesy brick, son!

17. Probably like previous posters, I dont even bother asking the name now, just picked up an almost oz, didnt even bother asking the name bc the shit looked dank smelled dank and smoked like dank. He also gave me 3 cookies (I have never been high of an edible and my buddies have been feeding me edibles, I am eating 3 dank ass cookies now hopefully i get high) but yea names are pointless unless you want to find that strain again but once again it could be different from what you smoked

18. [quote name='"dkd24"']So i was picking up some bud today and a kid who doesn't really smoke much asked if I could pick him up a g. I said sure and he asked if i knew what strain it was and I said that I don't really care or ask what the name is because most of the time I feel like its its been made up somewhere down the supply chain to help it sell better.

I've been smoking for over 5 years and by now I can tell if the buds are dank from looking/smelling etc., and obviously smoking them if my dealer offers to smoke me up. So in the end, as long as I deem the bud to be pretty high on the quality meter I dont really care what its called.

He said he thought that was stupid, and that you should get a name as much as possible because you might run across higher end strains and be able to appreciate them. I can see his point if you are from a Medical state, and i definitely would keep track of names if I was getting it from a dispensary, but being from Mass. I feel like a good amount of the time someone has just slapped a strain name on there to help it sell better.

SO my question to you blades who arent from medical states, how much faith do you place in the names of the bud you are getting, or are you like me and dont care what its called as long as its dank?[/quote]

Totaly agree with you dude, I hear people all the time saying that they get medical shit from cali, I live in north-east usa and I'm pretty sure that the bud is either dank grown somewhat localy, or from a different/closer mmj state.

19. haha i had a guy tell me some regular swag was chronic lol

20. I hate when some budtenders act like you need to tell them a name when I say "just show me what looks the best"

It's almost like they're hard wired to push a name. But eventually I break it down and let them know that I could give a fuck less what it's called and they seem to pick up on and support that

As far as strain names, nothing more than a way to keep track of genetics. However, there are probably 10s if not 100s of identical strain names with differing genetics, simply because people come up with their own "purple hazes" or assign a more showy name to a sack/clone/seed and it just continues to be wrongly described

Some genetics come from the big seed houses and if you're getting it from them they're probably legitimate heirs.

They also tell information, if I hear green crack or super silver I'm thinking sativa.

However, if you find that a supposed sativa is looking more like an indie, that would be grounds to question its validity