Do you think insects can feel pain?

Discussion in 'General' started by GRASSMATE, May 31, 2011.

1. Just now there was an ant on my window sill. I took my lighter and lit it on the ant real fast like just flicking it. The ant went crazy rolling all over the place and twitching.

Made me think do they actually feel pain enough to comprehend it like we do? In other words do they experience pain in the same sense that we do as in getting burnt would feel the same?

2. ive been told they have no central nervous system. so no

3. Probably. And I hope they do, I kill moths and those beetle things that fly all around the lights as much as possible. Things are fucking annoying and always flying into me.

4. Maybe they do, but then if that's true the next question would be how much does pain scale for them? Would the flame of the lighter to them be comparable to the blast wave of a meteor or bomb to us, in terms of survivability and/or pain?

Sorry, I'm pretty high:smoking:

5. I doubt it's the same type of pain we feel, but their sensory input must tell them about pain, considering they freak the fuck out when something is wrong.

You ever see an ant get it's legs ripped off? They FREAK out.

6. Most living things can...

7. they probly do feel some sort of pain

8. I feel bad for the ant:( Poor little guys just get some munchies then retreat back home and bang his wife, then out of no where he gets hit by a giant flame. sorry pretty blazed, but i think they can feel pain since they freak out, just my 2 cents.

9. ^....

i hope they have no central nervous.. if that means no pain :(

10. I'm sure they can. A few people in my life have told me that plants can feel pain. :laughing:

11. does weed feel pain?

probably :smoke:

12. That's not cool man dont make me think about that :smoke:

13. :eek::rolleyes:

Oh, ignorance.

14. Of course, unless the living creature doesn't have the sense of touch or pain. No creatures are like that as far as I know.

However even if your Human, if I bring a thousand ton newspaper and whack you with it, you just die, no pain, just die.

15. oh, the irony
    "Let's first take a look at how human beings feel pain. In our skin and throughout our muscles and joints we have pain receptors. These are nerve endings specialized for recognizing tissue damage. See How Aspirin Works for details on these receptors, known as nociceptors.

The nerves from these pain receptors run up the spinal column to the brain, where we feel the sensation of pain. There are also behaviors wired into the brain to help us respond appropriately to pain. Note that the spinal cord can respond to pain almost instantly – before the brain even gets the signal and starts to create the sensation.

An insect is completely different. First, there are no nociceptors found in insects. Second, because insects are invertebrates, they by definition lack a spine. Third, insects do not have centralized brains like people do. Instead, insects have clusters of nerve cells called ganglia distributed around the body. So insects do not have any way to feel “pain” like human beings do. That does not mean that insects lack sensation – they can sense when you grab hold of a leg, for example, and will struggle to get free. But this response is somewhat like the response we would see in a robot.

16. Fuck insects. Ive killed so many the past few days it isnt funny. We got these giant ants up here creepin like crazy

17. Do ants feel pain? - Yahoo! Answers

Google :D

18. I would have guessed because pain is important in the safety of a being so yeah... They react wildly to any said be painful moments ..

19. yesterday a giant piss of shit spider came at me while driving... it was running around my steering wheel so i hit hazard parked and killed that motherfucker dead

20. Huh. Do insects feel pain? Well, when you expose and ant to extreme heat, it freaks out; so it's clearly experiencing something unpleasant. Those who are all snobby about being higher life forms will say "NO, ants have no central nervous system blah blah blah blah......" Get over yourselves. Look at the reaction that insects have to stimuli that would hurt you, like extreme heat, and judge for yourself what they are experiencing based on the way they react and what you personally observe.