Do you think increased racial diversity in us is positive, negative, or neutral?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by nativetongues, Jul 30, 2018.

?

Do you think increased racial diversity in the us positive, negative or neutral?

1. Positive

6 vote(s)
    46.2%
  2. Negative

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  3. Neutral

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. This article was pretty interesting and I’m curious to see how blades feel about it.

“A recent survey from the Public Religion Research Institute (PRRI) and the Atlantic asked Americans how they feel about the possibility, based on US Census data, that in the next few decades black, Latinx, Asian, and other minority groups will together surpass white Americans as the demographic majority. Sixty-four percent of Americans, including 85 percent of Democrats, said this will have “mostly positive” results. But half of Republicans said it will produce “mostly negative” outcomes.”

Half of Republicans say increased racial diversity will be "mostly negative"

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Fake news.

If the trend showed in a few years there would be increasingly more Republicans or more white people do you think the Democrats would consider that to have mostly positive or negative results for America? If the Dems didn't like the idea of more white people would that mean they are racists or would it mean they think they'd lose more elections?

"The survey, which in June polled more than 1,000 people nationwide as well as hundreds of people in five states, is not the first to produce this kind of finding — with previous research suggesting that racial anxiety and outright racism are major animators for Republicans and, specifically, supporters of President Donald Trump."

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Can you have a more nuanced conversation instead of just yelling fake news. It’s very childish and not very productive to the conversation especially considering this is not fake. It’s a real survey which is backed up by several large scale studies. Why do you have to say it’s fake news, when it’s clearly not? You can point out what you see as methodological issues without resorting to baseless ad hominems which is what saying fake news is doing.

Now to address your point yeah I think it’s possible that could be the case, but I have no way of knowing that without some data so I’m not going to aimlessly speculate. I’m not even saying anyone’s racist and I don’t think that’s what is to be concluded. But I think it’s kind of ridiculous that people are up in arms about changing demographics. For me I just find it be neutral either way. I wouldn’t care if there more white, Black, Brown, or purple voters cause I don’t give a shot about people’s race. If there are more republicans so be it. I’m sure some of the people saying negative did have the idea that it would lead to more democratic votes but I’m sure a lot were not thinking that at all. Either way I think this points to an issue. Let’s say that hypothetically the numbers for minority voters became more split between Dems and gop would you still feel racial diversity is negative, positive, or neutral.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. I didn't just yell fake news, I gave you my rationale for saying it. I also don't care if minorities become the majorities but as a conservative I do think the Democrat party will benefit and I see that as a negative outcome. According to this study that means I'm racist which proves the study wrong. You say you won't speculate but that's exactly what you are doing, you and the study are assuming the motivation behind the Republican's opinons is racism but you have no proof that's true. There are other explanations for their opinions.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Anything to keep us from pointing the finger at government.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. #8 Cactus Ed, Jul 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    That covers a lot of ground, I agree with some parts. Is there any group in the world who would think going from the majority to the minority is a good thing? Do you feel unease knowing the Supreme Court will have a conservative majority?

7. But this is not talking about political identification it’s talking about racial identification. Clearly it’s not just a political issues as democrats, republicans, and independents all became more conservative on the issues when exposed to this demographic change. I really don’t care about being a racial plurality. I don’t understand maybe besides the political issue why someone would care. I don’t have enough to data to conclude anything but I would wager a large part of that anxiety is not for purely political reasons.

8. This seems to be a baited question. Who is actually gonna go against it of they want to stay on this forum?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Do you suspect that it is an anxiety over cultural differences? If that is the case then it isnt really a racial issue either.

Ones race can have zero impact on my life, their cultural baggage certainly can though. Will it be positive or negative or neutral depends on the actions of the individuals from that culture. If they value liberty then I can say that I will view their presence as positive. If they promote a more violent form of statism then I would view it as a negative. If the food I prefer became replaced by food I don't like, I would view it as a negative, if I liked the food I would view it as a positive. Their culture and upbringing will effect how they act as individuals, not their race.

In the end, I just want peace with my fellow man, I wish to interact with them freely and be left alone if I wish to be alone.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. I wish the US wasn't so hyper-focused on race. Skincolor doesn't mean anything unless you want it to.

It's culture that dictates how people act, and in that way of acting there can be cultural friction.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. How does combining multiple different ethnic groups into one bloc vs. "whites," which BTW also contains multiple different ethic sub-groups, mean ANYTHING except more racist bullshit?

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Negative for me.

13. Neutral as far as I'm concerned. There's room for everyone in America so long as we respect each other's rights as Americans and as human beings.

I think it's pretty fucked up for dems and reps to think it's positive/negative
    It's basically them saying "more/less people will join our cult!"

The republican and democratic parties have always been - and always will be - vehicles for rich, powerful special interests to get their way at the expense of the rest of us.

I'm concerned that both parties will ramp up identity politics in the future, and that's dangerous.

• Like Like x 4
  14. @nativetongues I've been watching you post for some years now, and you're very engaged with the racial issue. Very active during the BLM/identity politics phase, very well read on the white/black American race literature in particular.

What draws you to the skincolor question so much? Do you consider it a vital part of the political vista?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. @VikingToker moving to a new place atm and just can’t seem to find time to respond. Should be free later to night and I’ll rssppnd to a lot of posts in this thread

• Like Like x 1
  16. No i don't think so... The Corporate Capitalist State found out long ago that unemployed blacks are worth nothing to them or the GDP if they are just hanging around on the street or trying to sell dime bags of drugs... so they bust them, put them in private owned prisons and they are worth big $$... it's big business...

If blacks are committing more crimes than whites, prison isn't going to get to the root cause or solve the problem. Most would prefer working for a "living wage" or continuing education is my take.

Others they recruit into the military.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. #19 HIGHliketheSKY, Jul 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    This is rather ignorant considering people aren't charged equally for the same crimes and ya know, years worth of oppression. Not to mention those of us who don't get a 2nd look from a cop due to how we look. Don't get blinded by your privilege.

I think we should support and uplift our fellow man.

I think the only way we will ever see change is if we band together and stop seeing skin color as a barrier or stopping point and start seeing people for who they are.

We are all human, we all fucking bleed red.

This is an ego issue.

America is a huge melting pot, one where my ancestors whom immigrated here were treated just as other races are being treated today. I will not stand for it. Cannot believe we are discussing this in 2018..

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2