Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Do you tell your doctor that you smoke?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by PinkieGrrl, Jun 6, 2011.

1. I go to the doctor frequently for an ongoing health issue. I have always been honest with my doc about any kind of habits, bad or good (Xanax dependence). This is the first thing that I've been doing thats illegal. Should I be up front?
    Anyone else told their Dr about their smoking?

2. Doctor Patient confidentiality keeps you safe.

I'd inform my Dr. Can never hurt to give them all the info.

3. Yeah I do.

4. I've not been since I started...I'd probably tell them though if I had medication or some kind of breathing trouble - they know I smoke fags anyway (I think...)

5. Yes, I have not to long ago.

He told me he supports legalization of all drugs and agrees that marijuana is a benefit.

He also told me that some of the more affluent patients often make calls to their doctors at off times requesting narcs.

Pretty much told me to be careful copping and smoking as to not get caught.:):smoke:

6. Just tell the doc. the most you might get is a small lecture but likely not.

I have had 2 family docs, 3 neurologists, 1 neurosurgeon in the past few years and I told all of them. It really is something you should let them know.

It's not like hard drugs or anything. Weed can be and is very beneficial to many people.

You'll be just fine if you tell them.

7. Of course, that's how I get my medical cannabis.

8. Haha. This very thing came up a month ago. Had to go see the family physician because I came down with the bacterial form of pneumonia...caught it from playing with my 2 yr. old nephew...he just got done battling it a week before but no one told me this. The whole time I was in the waiting room, I was pondering this very question. Should I? Or shouldn't I? I thought about the whole doctor-patient confidentiality thing but in the end, I lied. I was prescribed some Amoxicillin.

9. Of course, for what reason would anybody lie about that?

10. Yes, I've informed my regular GP that I have a medical marijuana recommendation - it's actually in the law that you have to. Not that he cares mind you, he's actually a pretty decent enough guy, and it keeps me from having to take too many pharms, which he's also not really into. I know, believe it or not...

11. its illegal?

12. Except your doctor has to keep it to himself.

Also, I'm fairly sure supporting a Xanax dependency is somewhat illegal.

If your doctor doesn't know everything he needs to know about you, how on earth do you expect him to take proper care of you? If you don't tell your doctor you smoke out of fear, the only person you're hurting is yourself.

13. Why wouldn't I tell them? It's vital information that can be used to help diagnose me.

One time I had to get a chest x-ray and lung examination for some symptoms I was experiencing, wanna know the kicker?

The radiologist AND my doctor both said I had some of the healthiest lungs they had ever seen in their careers. This was before I started vaping as well.

14. Yeah, your doctor should know you smoke, weed or cigarettes.
    It doesn't matter if they approve or not, confidentiality laws make it so they can't disclose that information.

MOST educated doctors aren't going to make a big deal out of it.

I had a female doctor that tried to drug test me when I went to see her because I was sick,
    even after I told her I didn't do anything but weed

After I told the technician she could skip the pregnancy and drug testing, my bill went from $400 to $65.:rolleyes:

15. I've never wanted to bring it up with him, dunno why. I think if I ever have to go back in for my stomach (which I garuntee I will within the next 6 months) I think I'm going to 'discuss' smoking weed for it. Even though I'm not in a medical state, it can't hurt...right?

16. yeah, I tell my doc that I smoke weed.
    Even if i didn't tell him, I'm sure he'd know that I smoked something, and it's all confidential anyway.

17. Thank you for the encouragement. I really appreciate it. :smoke:

18. I told my GP and he was just like well of course I don't approve about that and continued on. It was weird. I had bronchitis though. That was the only time I told him though.

19. I have never had any reason to. I am in good health, if i have lung problems or any issue where information on my lifestyle of occasionally smoking, would actually be pertinant, then for sure i would tell him.

20. #20 ModestMau5, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Hahaha I lol'd for some reason.