Do you take breaks?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by KenTheMan, Oct 24, 2012.

1. So after saying I was going to work out for an entire year, I'm at the end of a 2 month break.

Is it normal to take breaks like this? My metabolism is so high at the end of the first month I could already notice muscle loss. I used to smoke religiously everytime I worked out. So recently I started smoking again hoping it'd give me that motivation to hit it.

It's not, I just feel completely burnt out after reaching my goals. It just becomes so monotonous and boring after a while and I'm married. So I'm like what's the point.

It's become pretty standard, I stop until I lose all my gains and get motivated to exercising again.

Attached Files:

2. Dude the max break you need is one week off maybe 3 times a year. 2 months is waaaaayyyy too long. Losing motivation to work out is a terrible thing.

3. I take a week break after every 4 weeks of working out.

4. I was hoping someone would step fourth with the slacker mentality and make me believe it's all ok, "i take 6 month breaks and have no problem."

Being a skinny nerds so much easier.

5. I have worked out consistently since end of August/ beginning of September, so I am about to take a week/week & 1/2 break. Might swim 2 or 3 times, but rest if always good. Start a little fresher again.. I don't really want to take the break but my one shoulder is feeling a little inflammation and its been hurting (couldn't even do a pull up the other day b/c it hurt). Hope the break goes well..but I love lifting - that tightness :)

6. It's a weird thing, motivation. I'm in college now but have been lifting religiously since about Junior year of highschool. Sometimes I just lose motivation to go. Right now I've been in a funk for about a week where I've just avoided to go. The funny thing is I'm in school for exercise science :eek:.

The best advice I can give is to just drive to the gym. Do not think about it, do not worry about it. Just go. Psyching yourself out is the main thing in your way. Once you get to the gym and start lifting you'll feel great. I can't count how many times I've gone through the same cycle then just going to the gym..I actually had my girlfriend drop me off so I was stuck there just to be sure :p.

But I always keep the outlook that we have our whole lives to be lifting and training so if you are feeling like taking time off, then do it! Don't get yourself down and convince yourself it's a bad thing either, that's the worst thing you can do!

Hope this helps!

7. Very much so and this is kind of my outlook. For me it's not difficult to get back in shape as long as I don't go overboard when I'm not working out so I'm like what's the big deal if I take some time off I'm still young. People get back in shape in there late 30's. It just seemed like I was getting to the point where I was investing more time into lifting and it became a chore along with the dieting.

8. Sorry for the late reply, been a bit busy.

Exactly, you can take breaks and still be healthy and lose next to none of your gains. You'd be surprised how quickly you can get through certain routines. Just think of what you want to work on that day(pref. opposite muscle groups, i.e. back, legs). Think of 3 high-rep exercises for each muscle. So something I'd do(at home), lunges 4x15, squat jumps 4x15, wall sit 4x2 minutes; and back, pull-ups 4x15, reverse push-ups(on your back on the floor pulling yourself up), 4x15, find something heavy to shrug and shrug it 4x15. Then just super-set the corresponding exercises so lunges then pull-ups, squat jumps then reverse push-ups, etc. I can get that done in about 30 minutes and I'm pretty burned after.

It's all in what YOU want to do. That is one of the biggest problems with motivation, lack of focus. You have to identify what you REALLY want to do. I won't get into it but if you are interested in motivation and stuff like that just look stuff up theres a lot of interesting reading on it.