Do You Remember Where You Were When...?

Discussion in 'General' started by WildWill, Nov 7, 2011.

1. 20 years ago today Magic Johnson announced that he had HIV and was retiring. I remember EXACTLY where I was 20 years ago when I heard that press conference - I was at work at the Dana Inn and Marina - working the Front Desk as a 20 year old.

When the Challenger exploded in the 80's I was in High School on the PE field, 2nd period.

1980 When John Belushi died I was at home, watching TV. When John Lennon died I woke up to my father crying and listening to "Imagine" - I never saw my father cry like that before.

I was in 5th Grade when the hostages were released from Iran on the day that Reagan was inaugurated. Even then I knew that it was wrong.

I DO NOT remember where I was when the Berlin Wall fell in 89, but I was watching the World Series when the Earthquake happened.

I think we can all recall where we were when the towers were hit on 9/11 - I was at my apartment and I didn't go into work, since I worked close to LAX and I was actually kind of afraid of an attack.

So where were you, what's your most profound memory of where you were when huge events hit?

My parents can still recall where they were on November 22, 1963 and when Apollo 11 landed on the moon. My Grandparents used to tell me about Pearl Harbor and VE/VJ day.

2. When Dale Earnhardt died, I was outside in my dads van while my mom was cleaning her car and my dad ran outside and said someone in the race just died.

3. Oh that's a good one - I was at my favorite bar actually watching the race with my wife when we all found out. That sucked. Dale was the ONLY reason I watched NASCAR

4. When Michael Jackson died i was coming home from Six Flags and my friends mom had picked us up and she was "MICHAEL JACKSONS IN THE HOSPITAL" and she turned on the radio and the first thing we hear was MIchael Jackson is Dead.

i was pretty dgaf but people were TRIPPING

5. When Michael Jackson died a buddy and me were doing our college radio show. Mad people called up to request Michael Jackson but we told them they'd have to convince us to play it...needless to say we didn't play any MJ songs lol but at least we got to break the news as it happened :smoke:

6. That was just a couple years ago, I'm talking about historic events from awhile ago...

As for the MJ thing, we were on our way to a Family Reunion in Oceanside when the news hit - and NONE of us cared.

I Still don't.

7. 9/11; I was at school, heard an American kid having a conversation with someone, saying something about terrorist attacks; I thought nothing of it, then got to the art department and someone had put a tv on, there was never tv on in there; and I saw the news.

Jackson dying; was in Amsterdam, and nowhere near a tv, but I picked up that it had happened from newspaper signs in newsagents.

7/7/05 bombings; was working in my father's bar and it came on the tv as a newsflash.

Iraq invasion 2003; In Austria; it seemed like a bad idea even to me, back then...

I can remember dad telling me things about remembering where he was when Hendrix. died.

8. More than half of us weren't alive back when the 'historic' events you're referring to happened; or at least too young to remember and realise their significance :eek:

9. Only one I was alive for was 9/11.

I was in year 3 and when I went to school we saw it on TV. I remember being thoroughly uninterested.

10. 20 yrs ago I was 8yrs old and getting my head stitched up at a hospital. I was a good little boy.

11. That makes me sad

12. October 17, 1989 - Loma Prieta earthquake: I was 7 yrs old, I was in the car with my mom and siblings. We were at a stoplight and everything started to roll, felt like we were on a roller coaster. It lasted a while then when we got home, my mom had us all sleep under the staircase bc there were numerous aftershocks. At some point, I was asleep with my mom on the couch when I was woken up by her pushing me off the couch then stacking my sister and brother on top of me...my mom then jumped on top of us to protect us from anything that falls. We had a wall that was all mirror from ceiling to floor so there was a huge chance of us getting sliced up. Luckily, we weren't hurt and the damage was minor. That earthquake was the worst I've ever been in and I hope I never experience that shit again.

April 5, 1994 - Kurt Cobain dies: 12 yrs old, I was watching tv when my brother comes barreling through the front door like he's the damn police. He was pissed and he put a tape in the VCR, changed the channel to MTV, then started to record the news. My brother told me that Kurt Cobain killed himself and I was like :eek:. We sat on the couch and watched MTV all day and trying to figure out why the fuck such a talented man would do such a thing. Nirvana por vida!

April 20, 1999 - Columbine: My mom and I had just got back home from out of town. We settled in the living room to relax and there it was....all those kids screaming, some with blood on them...ugh it was horrible :(

9/11 - My cousin woke me up when she called me to tell me the Weezer concert was cancelled. She told me to go watch the news so I went in the living room to find my mom and sister crying. At this time, the first plane had just hit. I can't even describe how I felt, it was unreal. I watched the news all day, it felt like the world stopped.

13. Then convince some of the more seasoned members in the dispensaries to become blades; and the situation might be rectifiable. :D

But yeah, agreed; i'd like to hear some more pre-2000 memories too.

14. No clue..

but when 9/11 happened I was at home for lunch during elementary. Saw it on tv, it was literally every channel

15. Nah it's all good. See I hadn't even thought about some of the events that you guys are posting - such as Columbine - I didn't even remember what year that was.

16. I like this topic so bump...come on how about some other recollections - I've got a good one for recently that I'll not forget soon...

When Michael Jackson died we were on our way to a family reunion in Oceanside - driving from LA with a toddler we stopped somewhere along the way (probably Mission Viejo) and went to a gas station for snacks and rest. Inside they had on a TV and were talking about how MJ was on his way to the hospital.

I went back out to the car and told the wife and commented "I bet by the time we get there he's dead" and sure enough...prediction true.

Not that I cared mind you, I had/have a very low opinion of him. Good entertainer if you like that sort of music (I do not) but a creep to the nth degree.

17. For 9/11 we were actually doing our daily dose of radio, and then a lady called in screaming about the towers being hit. My teacher shut it off, called the office, then they all met outside to discuss how to tell us, etc.

He did a very good job of explaining what the Towers were, and why it would be a prime target. Shit we were only in 6th grade

18. I was in 6th grade when this happened.

[​IMG]

It was a rough time for everyone.

19. 9/11 i was in 8th grade leaving mathclass, some "bully" type kid was like WOO Terrorists fleww planes into the twin towers!!" so i rmember being like what? ahh your joking now wayy, running to class and seeing it in tv. Got let out early cos my uncle lived a building right next to it that took damage. Wierd feeling...i ate dinner at the top of it not 6 months before that..

Berlin wall..89...i dont rmember it but while in germany i was taken to see the remaining parts, saw alot of stuff from WWII..

20. Oh wow, 6th grade....shit...now I feel old.