Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Do you notice a difference between strains?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by mixing metaphors, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Does the high feel different? Can you get a certain type (um, making up a name Blue Moon) from a dealer and know that it's going to do a certain thing to you? If so, which strains do what? 

2. There's no scientific proof that certain strains do certain things, however the majority of tokers (including myself) will claim that certain strains have certain qualities.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. I had some other type called sour something (forget what) and it smelled great vaped and smelled delicious and it got me ok high. Now, I have this stuff that doesn't smell or look as good yet gives me an even BETTER high than I have had with previous plant.

4. Certain strains are recommend for certain ailments when it comes to medicinal use. On the streets its take what you can get mostly.

5. the highs produced from different strains are distinctly different. based on the strain, you can predict the high youll experience. with a google search you can find lists of strains sorted by their chemical makeup, and effects

6. because someone said he had this one and that one and this one. This was on craigslist (I never, ever bought from CL because that's stupid but I corresponded with a few people.

It was just a question of which strain I wanted. Do your dealers ask you that?

7. ^ Yea dealers will ask you what strain you want because there are different types of weed, and you might have a favorite.

8. Yes, different strains give different highs, at least in my experience. I can smoke some Agent orange one day and then smoke Nothern Lights the next day and be able to tell the difference.

Sent from my Shitty Cellphone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. another question: is there a master list of strains? Or does it vary by region?

10. #10 LuxTenebris, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2014
    Yes.

Every single strain has different levels of cannabinoids, and terpenes, which are what translate to high, flavor, and aroma

11. #11 LuxTenebris, Apr 2, 2014
    The closest thing that exists is seedfinder

http://en.seedfinder.eu/

12. #12 MileHighMike, Apr 2, 2014
    Indica strains tend to hit hard, effect your body mainly, and make you feel sleepy or "burnt". They are generally used for pain suppression, treating muscle spasms, and insomnia. 

Sativa strains tend to be more creeper, give you a cerebral "head high", and make you feel happy and hungry! They are generally used for appetite stimulation, anxiety, and depression.

The maturity of the trichomes at harvest effects the high you achieve from a particular strain as well. Indica harvested early with hardly any amber color will lose some of it's "couch lock" qualities and become more cerebral. Sativa harvested late will gain more physical pain suppression qualities, and actually lose some of it's carefree euphoric feeling.

Of course most people using recreationally don't really care, as long as it smells, looks, and burns good. But for someone with Parkinson's looking to find some relief with muscle tremors, the right strain can mean the difference between a comfortable night and a painful one.

13. Growing sativa indoors makes me want to scream. twice the time for less than half the bud. That shits not allowed indoors here ever again.

14. stupidest thing iv ever heard, theirs nothing but scientific proof that strains to different things, u can tell just by the look-smell,Taste and texture alone, 1 strain better for anxiety n ones for cancer how does this not make sense? Lol each strain is better at treating certian ailments n then their are hybrids of the 2, people wouldn't just bullshit stuff about weed n claim theirs different kinds of weed when their isn't and say it does stuff when it doesn't that's so stupid lol

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. I notice a 100% difference, unless it's a hyrbid n I don't know the percent or which strains went into it

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

16. No, not really.

17. By "region", I doubt that indoor stuff varies much, all things being equal.  Outdoor grown weeds can be totally different from each other, as those of us old enough to remember the imports can attest to. 

18. #18 Moonwalker, Apr 2, 2014
    Only difference I can readily notice is the difference between sativa and indica, with indica being my go to medicine. Sativas usually put me in a weird head space while indica gives me the sought after 'stoning'

I don't wanna come out of the rabbit hole.

19. Yeah mainly because of Sativa/Indica percentages, main effects, also notice taste, smell and look