Do you guys think this is a scam?

Discussion in 'General' started by ClownPrincess, Jan 17, 2013.

1. #1 ClownPrincess, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2013
    Sup blades~
    My boyfriend and I came across a sounds-too-good-to-be-true job listing on Craigslist. Well, basically, we're wondering if all of you think that it's a scam. I personally do, but we're unsure where to go with this. My boyfriend applied to the job on Craigslist, the guy isn't in the city the posting is in, he's currently traveling all over the world, and is in Asia or something like that. What the boyfriend would be doing, is being a home-based personal assistant. He'll be sending us a list of pictures and things to buy, as well as cashier checks. The pay is 400 bucks weekly with a $50 bonus. He's sent the cashier check for the first week's pay, but the thing is..two of these checks showed up. For the same exact amount of money, covering the weekly pay and the money it takes to buy stuff. As far as we know, he was only supposed to send one. I can't find any information about this sorta thing on Craigslist, but yesterday I was reading that overpaying or sending two checks is a common fraud when buying stuff...We haven't contacted the guy yet, I'm waiting to see if I can figure out if it's a scam or not. And we don't have a Capital Bank here, so we can't just go down and ask them to verify if the checks are real. I know the bank exists, because I used to get paid from them when I worked at Sears.

This is the what's confusing: The Cashier checks are from the same place, signed by the same person, with the same date and bank branch on it. The check numbers are like this: One of them is 159187 and the other is 159114. One of the checks you can see the words 'Original Document' very clearly on the back, but the other one is way more faint, like it's only half there. What if they purposely sent it so we'd just wire the money back? That was part of the scam I read about yesterday, but I can't find it anymore to compare this instance. There's a return address on the envelopes, but it was sent by USPS Express Mail by two different people, in two different places. At least if you go by the sent address. The check has my boyfriend's name on it, so does that make it a cashier's check, or a different type of check? If it's a cashier's check, then it's guaranteed money...

What do you guys think? Is it a scam or no? If you think it is, can you tell me why?

UPDATE: Yep, it's a scam, I found evidence. If anyone has a similar problem, I shall direct you to google 'personal assistant job on Craigslist.org' and you should get a link from another forum called fraud watchers. Look for a post called "Personal Assistant Scam in Craiglist" and it's by someone named Pandora. This is the same exact thing that happened to us. We're gonna report it to our local non emergency hotline and Craigslist....Thanks guys! This can totes be closed now, if any mod wants to.

2. Everything you've just explained kinda screams scam to me. I never would have even replied to that ad....

3. As soon as I read craigslist I hit scam

4. Right? I've been saying that from the beginning but I can't just not find out if it's an actual scam, it's bugging me. But we didn't know he was out of state until we emailed him, the ad was just for a personal assistant with a nice, high pay, so we emailed him and he replied....

5. Update: We're going through all of the emails between this guy and my boyfriend, his email address changes after the first email...Does anyone use Outlook on here?

6. If I were you I'd bring this to the attention of your local police. They'll also be able to tell you if they've seen this before.

There's currently a warning out for a scam in my city where someone is calling claiming to be a local officer who has just caught someone with your credit card info, and asks you to confirm your card information...

7. #7 Parable, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2013
    It's a scam. I know this for sure. I've heard alot of stories about people receiving checks from people on Craigslist promising a job. They send you the check, then you go cash it and it ends up bouncing or some weird shit, and you have to pay the exact amount that was on the check.

Trust me on this one. Rip up the check and tell that guy to go fuck himself.
    Are people really this gullible? Like some stranger is just going to send you free money? Hahaha. Come on now.
    Oh, and tell your boyfriend to get a real job. You know, the 9-5 routine, honey.

8. no doubt that's a scam. the guy is practically tossing you money otherwise

9. I thought I updated this post saying we confirmed it. And I appreciate you telling me to tell him to get a job. Him and I both just got laid off before Christmas, and we're trying as best we can to both get one. He's had four interviews this week. No hard feelings, just tired of getting told that.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Why the need to be so rude, they're obviously trying to get jobs. Every post I read that's by you is rude as hell and you talk down to people.

As for the OP, glad you found out its a scam, I've recieved countless emails after applying for jobs on CL just like the one you posted.

11. he will send you two checks then he will instantly ask for the money from one of the checks in a money order minus $50 or something for his screw up, then both the checks will bounce and you will have just sent him a money order of actual money when you got nothing but two shit checks.

Trust me a member of truck club got scammed by this. Take the two checks and call around with your state legislature and find out who is the best person to report this to.

12. lol yes. anything on craigslist where the poster is out of the country it is 100% scam. it's on the housing section too.

13. Haha yeah when I was cleaning houses I had someone who was supposedly in Australia offer me $500 a week to clean their house.
    These scammers know that if they offer enough money someone will take the bait.

14. Yeah, definately. If they didn't offer so much money, or sent the checks on the same day, it wouldn't have raised as many red flags, but it's still too sketchy for my tastes, lol.
    I'm going to be calling around today, and I'm going to try to contact Craigslist if they can add this to their common scams section. It was sorta hard to find, but once found it's obvious that this is a common scam, it's been around for quite a while.

On a second note, don't you hate looking for jobs? :p It's so hard to find one, no one here is hiring. And if they are, they're looking for people who have to have a ton of experience. How do you get experience if no one will hire you? Ugh it's annoying.

15. 100% a scam. Heres how it works:

The person sends you fake checks, wanting you try to cash them. If your bank actually cashes them for you, they will eventually bounce days later after you have mailed the money to the guy. The bank will then want the money from you, holding you responsible for cashing a bad check. The guy gets away with a couple hundred dollars, while you're left having to pay for it.

Its one of the oldest scams online.

16. i've found most of my jobs on craigslist

17. Yeah I found my current job on CL. And I used to get a ton of work from it when I was cleaning houses.

It's definitely not all scams, you just have to be cautious.
    If it seems too good to be true it usually is.

18. First, I told them what it is. A scam. If you can't appreciate someone helping you not being scammed then I don't know what nice is. Secondly, stop crying & wipe your tears away. I saved them a few hundred bucks. Her boyfriend is looking for a super-easy job with good pay, which simply doesn't exist unless you have experience and certifications.

I was laid off too, but I'm not taking up obvious scams on craigslist. No one is going to hire you from the internet, and if they do, consider yourself really lucky. If you want a job go to a warehouse and ask, in person. Don't get me wrong, there are some legit jobs on the internet, but you have to compete with 5893855893 other people who also placed an application in.

I still don't understand why OP thought some stranger would send them legit free money.

19. Yeah your other post was rude and you continue to be rude. The consescending "9-5 job, honey" .... where are you getting off?

Redirecting anger from somewhere else in your life, maybe?

;)

20. Sure.