Do you guys know other languages?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by british raj, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Especially the Americans here. A lot of people only know English because it's like the auxiliary language of the world... but really it opens up a lot of new opportunities to be bilingual

have a great day

2. #2 Zylark, Oct 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2012
    Why ofcourse. But then again, I'm not a native english speaker. I sort of had to learn that easy language. I mean, seriously, if americans can learn it (to a degree), how difficult can it be?! :p

Apart from my native Norwegian, I can also do good renditions of Swedish and Danish. Though that is a bit unfair to count into the "foreign language" category. Different dialects of nordic really. Though slightly more severe in their differences than say american english compared to australian english. Danes and Swedes typically will pretend not to understand eachother. Which more often than not is the Danes fault, as they speak as if with half a potato is stuck down their throat.

I also do German to a degree. Not the grammar so much, but given some leeway with this and that correct tense of whatever, I can make myself very understood, and I certainly understand them. Provided they are not from the rural south or drunk. Which sort of eliminate 90% right there.

The french can bugger off, greek is greek to me, and italian is just another way of saying pizza, milli gracie!

Unless out in some godforsaken hellhole (like say france), english will do fine. Which I suppose is not that great for you english-speakers as first language.

I have a few friends who are not from around here so to speak. The german one picked up norwegian in less than six months, and speak it now fluently. The french one, slightly longer, but it is to be expected, being from a slighly different branch (latin) of the european language tree.

The many english speakers however, still struggle after years and years. Not that they are dim or anything, but they never get a chance to practice their Norwegian. The moment they open their mouth, they get replies in english, since they are, you know, struggling...

3. My parents both had to work when I was born, my caretaker who was a close family friend was a native from South Africa. She spoke to me and my brother in nothing but Afrikaans, and according to my mom, she often had very intricate conversations so I could absorb as much of the language as possible. When I was older I kept on learning the language because I already got a head start.

Since Afrikaans is 95% Dutch you could say I know a lot of Dutch.

Very odd for me to know a language like that but I enjoy it. If/when America falls I could always move to Cape Town

4. Hola, como Estas? May bien gracias y tu?

5. Decent in spanish ... hard to understand others when they talk fast

6. Seems like A lot of Europeans know a plethora of languages, at least a little bit of each one

Do you know Waddy Jones? Rapper from South Africa

ESTOY BIEN
    Yes very hard, I can read a language better than hear it

7. I can speak Japanese, I taught myself over the last 3 years. that's all I wanted to say, I'm kind of proud. :) determination goes a long way.

8. There's no substitute for knowing a second language.. but today even the most basic technology can break down the language barrier.. Thanks to google I can translate text on my computer as well the ability to translate voice on my mobile device.. oh technology :smoke:

9. First language is Hebrew, second is English, third is Portuguese

10. Yeah, him, Die antwoord, Jack Parow. Like their stuff

11. Spanish decently well, I want to pick up Russian though and maybe a few others by the time I'm out of college.

12. [quote name='"NasaJoe"']There's no substitute for knowing a second language.. but today even the most basic technology can break down the language barrier.. Thanks to google I can translate text on my computer as well the ability to translate voice on my mobile device.. oh technology :smoke:[/quote]

I guarantee you those translations are far from perfect. Plus, how do you have an actual conversation that way?

13. Pretty good at spanish, though out of practice...

Know a bit of hebrew, again out of practice

14. I can speak/read/understand a tiny bit of a lot of different languages (emphasis on *tiny*), but do not speak any other language (then english) fluently.

My son (13) and I are taking Spanish classes, but I suck. Royally. He's getting pretty good. :)

Learning a second (and third/fourth/etc) language opens so many doors. I wish I had taken it more seriously when I was younger, because I had plenty of opportunities.

15. Almost fluent in German and have a good basis on French

16. English- fluent
    Korean- semi fluent
    Japanese- little
    Spanish-little
    German- very little