Do you ever listen to police scanners?

Discussion in 'General' started by deadkndys, May 16, 2012.

1. [quote name='"deadkndys"']I found a pretty cool site that offers live police scanners for all over the US.
    I was thinking about buying one but why buy one when this service is free?

Live Police, Fire, EMS, Aircraft, and Rail Scanners on RadioReference.com[/quote]

Im thinking about getting one to keep in my car, never know when it'll come in handy.

Androids marketplace has scanners that probably use that site, if not they use some other db but same idea.

2. You'll hear some pretty crazy things if you spend some time listening to those. Growing up a friend of mine's dad was a cop and he happened to have one of them just sitting around there. Pretty much the equivalent to television for me growing up. My buddy got into a little trouble over something, and his dad gifted me with the thing... Who woulda thought a couple years down the road, I'd kick back, light up and turn that old thing on. Wish I knew what I ever did with it! Somewhere packed up in the basement I'd guess.

3. #4 Led Zepp, May 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2012
    Where I live, owning police scanners is illegal :eek:

Dont get caught with one, let alone in your car! :confused:

Edit: Found this on yahoo answers, its cited with sources and all..

^ that clears up my former thoughts :smoking:

So just be sure to check your local laws on police scanners :smoke:

Oh and also dont use scanners to intercept tow truck calls to solicit business :laughing::bongin:

4. [quote name='"Led Zepp"']Where I live, owning police scanners is illegal :eek:

Dont get caught with one, let alone in your car! :confused:[/quote]

Yea, i believe keeping them in car is illegal here. I'd just turn it off if i was pulled over

5. I was listening in on a pursuit of a young male evading police. Pretty fun honestly I might do it more often.

6. A lot of it is just fuckin' gibberish unless you are familiar with the numerical codes...I'm enjoyin' it, but I know the legal codes.:cool:

7. Google.

8. I had an app, it was pretty interesting but boring really late at night, but shit would go down once in a while.

9. I checked it out and listened in on some units called in to investigate a sighting of a guy dressed in all black on the roof of a business trying to bust into it with a brick. It was pretty interesting but it would probably take some time to learn all the codes they use to understand more about what is going on. They also seem to request a phone call to the officer or dispatch anytime there is something they need to talk about more, and for when they needed people's names.

10. The police use digital now you wont hear anything important.

11. The ones in my area dont.

12. Hell yeah.
    I use the app.
    But listen to my old neighborhood because my current shit town doesn't have one.