Do you believe suicide is selfish and cowardly?

Discussion in 'General' started by ShaniaKLz, Nov 23, 2011.

1. [quote name='"ShaniaKLz"']What's your take on it?[/quote]

If its a child/teen/young adult I believe its selfish. However if your an older adult who tried to help yourself, and who had been trying to live with an evil all your life...the case may be a bit different.

2. ah yeeesss!!! dont just kill yourself....take other innocents out with you....good idea!! great idea as a matter of fact....population control...someone's gotta do it

3. oh and I want to add one more thing. I think suicide when a person is terminally ill is not selfish. The ill person often sees themselves as a financial burden to their family and they are actually thinking FOR them when they take their own lives.

If you have only 6 more months to live, you have the option to pay out of your ass for medical treatments that is not even going to help much, maybe extend your life by a couple of months, many just don't feel it is worth is anymore. They often see it that would be better off letting their family get the inheritance.

4. Isn't it more selfish to ask someone to live the rest of their life in physical/mental/emotional pain just so you don't have to be sad?

5. no, well i believe it to be cowardly but not selfish. i've never attempted to off myself before but it's a terrible thought to endure once it does enter your mind..i have total sympathy and compassion for all suicidal people and their families.

6. [quote name='"CAVERN"']Isn't it more selfish to ask someone to live the rest of their life in physical/mental/emotional pain just so you don't have to be sad?[/quote]

But they're usually not doing it just so they won't be sad. They're trying to keep that person alive because they care about them and want them to feel better and live a happy life. They're not asking that person to stay alive so they can remain happy, they're doing it because they care about that person. If your happiness is dependent on another person I think that's like the opposite of selfishness.. Although I do see where you were coming from

7. I'm a bit ambivalent about it. Sure it deeply hurts the ones you love but your reason must be pretty damn important to go top yourself. In the end I regard it as no more selfish or less sad than a "natural" death.

8. [quote name='"amsterdamage"']I'm a bit ambivalent about it. Sure it deeply hurts the ones you love but your reason must be pretty damn important to go top yourself. In the end I regard it as no more selfish or less sad than a "natural" death.[/quote]

What if someone has children.. Like 10 years old. And they are the only provider for those kids. But that person really doesnt like their life. So they kill themselves and leave their kids in foster care.. To me that's selfish.

I'm not saying every case is selfish either. It's hard to throw a broad rule over suicide like "it's always selfish" or "it isn't selfish". Just my opinion though!

9. Yes, in most cases.. Of course there is that im stuck in vietnam with no way out besides torture type shit lol.. but yeah, it puts more hurt on the family then you could imagine.

Very selfish, but i can understand some people just can't handle it anymore :eek:

10. Yep it is very much so. And to think I tried a few times... So sad :(

11. The thought of committing suicide is a disease. People who don't care to believe so are selfish imo. Yea it hurts, but it also hurts when someone dies of 'natural' causes. Either mourn the loss, or curse the lost. Either way it's over and done with. Being sad because something that was physicallly there before, but isn't anymore makes a lot more sense than trying to fist fight a ghost.

12. It's good that you failed.

13. I agree to an extent. But I think what some of you need to understand is when someone is in a genuine dark place it's hard for them to have a change of mindset and see possibilities outside of suicide. They're often incapable of thinking of the positive and they need direction to get out of that dark place.

Just an opinion.

14. if suicide (as is commonly thought) the cowards way out so to speak, but you are too scared of death to commit suicide then what? does that make you like the worlds biggest coward or something?

disclaimer, if that makes no sense its prolly cause i'm high :smoke:

15. Yea, that's kinda exactly what I said when I said it was a disease :laughing:

16. It made a lot of sense. Good philosophy.

17. I think it is selfish..but having experienced it myself there is a lot of factors than just being inconsiderate of others and offing yourself.

If people helped said person then they would have the right mindset to get past there inner turmoil enough to really see the big picture and begin to realize people do care and that there life should be spared to carry on with those said people.

Edit: Is it cowardly I would say no when you suffer so much that that is your only anwser what else can you do? It's kinda something you have to experience to know what I mean.

18. I believe it's the individual's choice, but I don't think it's selfish. If you don't want to be here, then don't. You shouldn't be forced too, in my opinion.

However, at the same time I feel that the reason for doing so shouldn't be over something that is temporary.

19. [quote name='"ShaniaKLz"']

It's good that you failed.[/quote]

Yup it is.

20. People say "do what makes you happy." If suicide will make you happy then go for it. No one should decide if you live or die, even though it does happen. If you truly don't want to live anymore, then you don't have to.