Do you believe in God?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by BluntCruisin, May 24, 2010.

1. #101 stp12986, Aug 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2010
    Come on you guys?

How in the world do you "know" for sure, these facts that you are saying. Where did you hear them? Who are you to say that something for sure did not happen just because you dont believe it did. Yall are being more stubborn and close minded than the most close minded christians ive talked to.:devious:

There is a complete difference between not believing something happened and saying for fact that it did not.

And again, You dont believe someone can live six times longer than normal because why? you havent seen it. Well I know for dang sure you have not seen proof of evolution or proof of ancient datings hundreds of thousands of years ago. Yet you follow it blindly...

The whole thing I want someone to admit is the fact that they are believing something that is in all reality just as unproveable as a faith based religion. I'm not saying i'm right and your wrong, i'm just saying if I have to show you proof to believe in Christianity then you have to show me actual PROOF that it never happened or that something else did.

Nobody can, many have tried, many have come up with theroy as what would have happened, or what might have happened, but no one knows for sure. Its all about what we BELIEVE to be true.

2. I call my self an Agnostic Atheist

I personally think that there is absolutely no proof that god exists or doesn't exist, but I also think that it is highly unlikely that there actually is a god. Not to mention that I think most religions spew a lot of BS. Like doesn't the bible say that earth is only about 10,000 years old? It shows the amount of knowledge that the people writing it had, and many of the things it talks about we can now prove how they happened.

3. #103 The Botanist, Aug 10, 2010
    There are such things as fossils. They show how a particular family of animals change slightly. That is pretty strong proof.
    Oh and can't they do carbon dating to measure half-life? In other words gauge how old it is?

4. man i can't let the carbon dating thing go. Religionists loved carbon dating when it NAILED when the dead sea scrolls were written, the carbon findings correlated almost exactly with the religious establishments estimates. but if you use it to disprove anything about the myths (cough,cough shroud of turin cough, cough) the the establishment gets their panties up in a bunch about it. and that is the very definition of hypocrisy. as long as it proves what they believe they are all for it, as soon as scientists use it to discredit something they believe, now it is a pseudo-science with little accuracy.:rolleyes:

5. I'm no proclaimed expert on carbon dating but read this article and let me know if it is true or false. Is Carbon Dating Accurate?

Just from what I have read in different articles they seem to mostly agree that the accuracy really only can be assured up to a certain point.

6. Please give me some facts to go on, something to reference, so I can look it up for myself. The animal change thing anyway. But again this doesnt mean that an entire species changed to a different species, it only proves that the animal adapted to some external stimuli but did not evolve. They are not the same.

7. #107 The Botanist, Aug 10, 2010
    There are other methods you know. Photoluminescence dating, argon-argon, potassium-argon, uranium-lead, fission track dating...

Btw is carbon dating even used on fossils?

If a population changes enough i believe that the new one is called a new species. I don't know exactly where the line is drawn though. All you have to do is look at a fossil, look at a newer one and determine the difference.

8. I cant say that I would agree with the strict christian orthodoxy that claims this. I know this isnt a wide spread accepted belief, I have never studied it and can say one way or another until I do. I probably would not believe it though depending on what I read.

I understand that the carbon dating has been cross referenced but once it gets to a certain age then it seems to be a lot less accurate. And there can not be any cross referencing past the historical writings so that makes it even more of a stretch for me.

9. that is evolution, they are the same. and we never turned into something different. we are not really that different from the other primates. we share something in the neighborhood of 97% identical genetic code with other "great apes". every human alive (or who has ever lived) share like 98.5% identical genetic code.

10. *ultimate facepalm*

oh my god

11. Yea I really havent researched these but thanks for bringing them up. I suspect once I research though that there will continue to be inconsistencies in the accurateness or and I will see if all of these methods are used to date way past historical writings.

I'm only someone who seeks truth, I can't describe what this truth is, but I seek it and believe ONLY after I seek.

Thanks

12. I guess there are a lot of variations of what the theory of evolution teaches because I have been taught (in college science class) anywhere from everything has come from the same general species, to there were a few basic species and they evolved to others and continued to branch out.

I was also taught adaptation was different. In the same realm so to speak but as far as the changes from a general sub species to a totally different species, no.

I believe everything was created within its own species, and adaptation has occured in some species due to their external environment, but in no way did it "adapt" in a way that a fish became a lizzard and so on.

13. reread what i said and comprehend it this time. quit talkin shit

14. #114 new buddy, Aug 10, 2010
    ^Above me, you quit talking shit I'm tired of this fucking fairy tale. You see? that wasn't nice what I just said, but how the fuck am I "talking shit"? I'm voicing my opinion. In the eyes of your god, I'm doing a better job at being a Christian than you are.

@stp12986 Then, according to you, why did god make mammals generally similar to each other? If he were to create all of the species on earth, why make monkeys when we have humans? Why do dogs have a similar limb structure as us (upper arm, forearm, wrist-like joint, paw-hand)?

Even fucking whales (mammals) have a similar limb structure as humans. look at the skeleton of a whale fin and a human arm and the similarities are clear. According to you, why did God give whales and dolphins lungs and not gills like other sea creatures.

15. I think whales are closer to dogs...
    But if you are using it in a broader sense then yes.

16. they are, but the general similarities are still there.

17. minnipeds and canines have a common ancestor, true.

18. Dude I have no clue why He did it that way. Something to ask Him I guess. Just for the heck of it to see the cool things he can make to make the world diverse I guess. I'm sure someone can come up with a reason for that question but unless he specifically told us in the Bible why he made them then its all speculation. He did tell us he made the different species the fly in the air, swim in the sea, etc. but not why.

If dolphins and whales lived in the sea wouldnt gills be more suitable? Wouldnt they have evolved and formed gills and closed up their blow holes.

I dont see what you are saying to me now in response to what I said other than asking why he made animals the way they are. I have no clue, but I dont think that having similarities in a physical body is cause to assume they all evolved from the same creature.

I may have misunderstood what you are asking. If I did then i'm sorry.

19. #119 new buddy, Aug 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2010
    what is to say that someone didn't just write the bible? What's to say all of the people who wrote the bible weren't schizophrenic?

I could be wrong, but today when people hear voices talking to them their not some chosen one of a divine being, their thrown in mental institutions.

20. not sure if ive posted in this before... so if i have, sorry but:

i believe in God to the extent that anyone can believe in anything. reality may not be real, feelings might not really be felt, thoughts may not be or ever be thought... but as far as what i believe, God is real.