Do you believe in God?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by BluntCruisin, May 24, 2010.

1. I personally don't. I was born a Catholic and religion has always played a large part on my mom's side of the family. However, my mom never seemed interested in taking my family to church and other things. I was baptized, but never thought anything of it. I somewhat believe that a higher being exists, and maybe even the afterlife. I just don't believe God created the whole world from scratch like the Bible says. I don't believe much of the Bible at all. However, there are a lot of good moral lessons in the Bible, like the Ten Commandments. Until God can somehow prove his existence to me, I won't believe in him. Your take?

2. Agnostic through adn through. I have absoluteley zero idea whether there is or isn't a higher being.

From what I can tell theres equal evidence for and against both arguments, and until I die I don't see myself ever choosing a side.

I agree, though a LOT of the bible is self righteous crap, there are loads of good lessons/anecdotes/morals to be found. With some of those similies, I'm surprised Jesus wasn't a rapper...

3. I was raised reform Jewish, but don't practice now

my signature reflects my views on god pretty well

4. i believe that a thread such as this ought to be in the spirituality and philosophy section.

and i would bet there is already a thread in that sub forum, too.

but god? not quite. i believe in energy.

5. Agnostic and atheism are not mutually exclusive terms. Agnostic refers to what you know, whereas atheism expresses what you believe.

I am an agnostic atheist, for the same reason that I am do not believe in leprochauns; there is simply insufficient evidence to prove their existance. By being an atheist, I am not asserting any position but rather responding to the theists' claim. The burden of proof rests solely on the theist.

Could a god exist? Yes, possibly, but the time to believe such a claim is when the evidence presents itself. This is the basic underlying principle of science and has, over time, proved itself to be the most accurate way of determining the truth value of a claim time and time again.

6. I've honestly on the verge of not believing. I've been thinking about how, if there is a god, why he would make people suffer so much. And i'm not talking about all the depressed people, but the starving people in Africa. The people who have nothing to live at all. I know this is the classic argument against god, but its true. idk anymore, when i do something good in the world, maybe i shouldn't do it for God and the sick games he plays, but for the people he makes suffer. Idk what to think...

7. I'm the kind of person who has to see it to believe it so no, I don't believe in any kind of god or higher being. The Bible is wayyy too far fetched for me to believe any of it, sorry Catholics.

8. I do understanding it may not be real. It's nice to be optimistic though and have something to look forward to. Enjoy your time here though, :smoke:.

9. i personally don't, i have real doubt all my actions are controlled by something that can't be proven to even exist but ignorance is bliss

10. I do. I'm a big fan of nature and I find it hard to believe that everything (not created/messed with by men atleast) can work so well together and be so intricately flowing, and yet be the result of an accident. I also can't think of how "this" could have begun or existed, reality, without an intelligent designer.

Kind of makes me confused when people say "Well I guess I just believe in science." because to me it seems more scientific to realize the connection and design in the Earth, than to see it as being a thoughtless coincidence. But thats just my belief.

11. I believe in myself. I believe in my own divinity. I believe in a power, even an intelligence in the universe that is greater than myself.

I know enough to know that I know nothing, so I guess that makes me agnostic?

12. same here. unless i see it, or it can be proven without much doubt then i have a hard time believing it. i was raised christian, and for a while i really tried to believe in god, but i could never get myself to believe it.

i never believed in the bible either, in my opinion it's just a collection of fairytales

13. Ya know, thats about how I am too.

14. I quit believing in fairy-tales when i was in grade school. Seems to contradictory(sp?) to me.

15. Absolutely!

16. I'v grown up a Christian, and have always believed in God(Jesus). Although the last few years of my life logic is telling me he doesnt exist. But I refuse to just drop something that has been such a big part of my life.

It really does gets to me though.

17. #18 Newtoke, May 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2010
    Humans invented God because they wanted to make an easier way to create answers for themselves. They were tired of having their shitty lives so they created an object that they could ask for help, and then pretend that they were given it, and then live out their lives on a lie based on God. People who believe in God are generally people who don't want to look to the true answers to their questions, and rather put their hands together, close their eyes, and wish for things to happen.

Sorry, I know not EVERY person who believes in God is like that, but the people who I've met that are really religious are just like that.

I read something that i like in a different thread...
    Basically said that it really doesn't matter if God exists or not, because I don't care and if there was a god and he wanted me to care he could make me care, so in the end it really doesn't matter if he exists or not.

18. I do not believe in god, no. Not in the traditional sense, anyway. I believe in the Einsteinian god which manifests itself in the laws and intricacies of the universe, I guess. But as Dawkins said, Pantheism is just sexed up atheism. I tell people I am an atheist to avoid any confusion.

I was raised as a mormon, by the way.

19. I'm catholic but never go to church at all, and don't believe in some of the catholic ways.