do u prune?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by 420smurfette, Aug 21, 2012.

1. I just want to hear opinions about pruning.....do u or don't u? What's the benifits or disadvantages? I can read a million books and they all say diff things.....I much rather hear other peoples experience and take what I can from that....my bro does it says its better my cuz doesn't because he says it slows it down.....also when do u prune?

2. Not unless the leaf is atleast 80% dead. I just try to tye them out of the way to expose the bud sites.

3. Depends, for SCROG grows I've seen a lot of people prune. I did my last grow when I tried SCROG, stressed the plants out a bit, but nothing too bad, maybe three days before they bounced back.

4. My what an informative and on topic post. :rolleyes:

I prune only what I need to due to leaves getting in each others way from lst. Any excess pruning seems like it would just slow down growth rate. Unless you meant training it in some way?

5. No just pruning.....so my bro says that prunin helps get to the lower leaves which is great but I question of how the plants get their full light...I mean isn't that what the fan leaves are for? Sucking up the light? It seems like a bitter sweet kinda scenario to me

6. Also when is the time to prune.....one of my girls (as I have 10 all in different stages and strains lagged a week behind eachother) is roughly 6 weeks in....is it too late or a good time?

7. Anyone else got more to add.....I really wanna dig in and find out what you all do and why you think it is best.....I'm new to all this and very curious

8. Its my understanding that the farther away from the lights the leaves are (ie the lower ones) become less important to the overall growth because artificial lighting (since you're growing indoors) doesn't travel well past a foot or so for photosynthetic use by the plant. Therefore, its better to leave the tops alone, and if anything, the plant will sort of "auto prune" by sucking out the excess nutrients and then dropping the leaves that it deems no longer useful to growth/bud production.

9. Hence why at 6 weeks of flowerin my bottom leaves r turnin yellow and dryin up now?

10. Now....is there anyone who completly prunes all the fan leaves off except for the ones close to the buds? Explanation?

11. yessir/sirette :p Mine are doing the same thing.

12. Don't act like you're not impressed :) :smoke:

13. Actually I'm not, its this kind of off topic clutter in a section that should otherwise be a treasure trove of valuable information that makes me lose faith in humanity. If you want to troll there are a million better places to do it in, may I suggest /b or perhaps youtube comments? :rolleyes::smoke::rolleyes:

14. I only prune yellowing or dying leaves unless im topping, or unless it is very late in flower (last week of flower cut about 40% of the leaves off to force any remaining nutrients to be used from the stem while you flush).

15. So your method is pruning as you start flushing them.....

Do buds soak up the light or just the fan leaves?

16. I've tried both methods. Don't get to crazy pruning but it does have it's usefulness in a grow. If a leave is really large and blocking out the light then it needs to go. Prune very lightly to expose the bud sites to the light at the end of week 2. Then prune her the last 2-3 weeks of flowering to really get the buds some light so they can ripen up.

17. You don't want to trim too much, leaves still need to absorb light - im talking one or 2 weeks left in flower, at that point the plant has built up tons of sugars and nutrients in the stem, removing leaves forces those sugars out. Which later break down into THC and canbinoids in the cure.

18. Makes you lose faith in hihumanity? You're ridiculous. It was a harmless answer to the question, regardless what section it is in...it was a joke...obviously. It looks like guy got his answer so it looks like the treasure is stilli trovin'...and I'm still trollololin'

I will post what I wish, in what ever section I wish, GC admins can ban me, delete my post, and/or move my threads if it doesn't fit. So with that said; if you don't like my comments, piss off.

Be easy brothaman!

19. Alright I apologize for even trying...

Guess I'll just start reporting posts that go against the forum rules :wave:

20. Well seein how I already got this goin.....why aren't my hairs turnin but I'm already seein amber trichs (no I do not finger fuck my buds so it not that) that's at 6 weeks 1 day of flowering and 7 weeks 3 days from 12/12?

ForumRunner_20120822_191830.png

ForumRunner_20120822_191957.png